So i have recently purchased a blackberry pearl 8100 off of ebay. It is an unlocked version of the t-mobile 8100 my plan is on AT&T. I have recently tried to upgrade it to the new 4.5 OS using the T-mobile version. After downloading the desktop manager software and downloading and installing the ATT version of 4.5 my computer said that the phone was already running the latest version. Should I download the T-mobile version of the OS and if I do would it disrupt the unlock on the phone.

Also i tried to use the phone as a mass storage device but the phone never registered as a drive on my computer. I made sure that in the settings that the phone was set to be used as a mass storage and formatted the card. what would be causing it to not register as a drive on my computer

Evan
    01-11-09 07:59 PM
    Installing a new OS will not affect the unlock status of your phone. Unlocking is a one-time, irreversible process in BlackBerries.

Upgrading your OS is not difficult, but it is not trivial either. It will be much easier to do, and you will be much more likely to be successful, if you first get some basic familiarity with your BlackBerry. A good way to do that is to perform the CrackBerry Memory Optimization Procedure that's linked in my sig. Created by Forums Moderator Reed McLay, it will show you how to install your device OS on your PC, (which you have to do to upgrade your OS) and will help you optimize your free memory. It's a terrific tutorial procedure. Once you've done that, and understand what's going on, upgrading your OS will be much easier.

Mass Storage Mode lets you drag and drop files to/from your computer to your BlackBerry Media Card. You have to have a Media Card to use it. You enable it as follows:

Options / Media Card
    Media Card Support: On
    Encryption Mode: your choice
    Mass Storage Mode Support: On
    Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode When Connected: Prompt

Plug the BlackBerry into a USB port, answer Yes to the prompt, and the BlackBerry Media card will show up as a disk drive in My Computer. Then you can drag and drop.

Did you follow this process exactly?
    01-11-09 09:16 PM
    I followed the steps completely for enabling mass storage and it still does not work properly. I also followed the steps exactly for the article you linked above and I was still unable to install the new OS. I am using desktop manager 4.7 and downloaded the AT&T 4.5 8100 OS.

I have no clue what is going wrong I'm pretty good with computers and can usually figure this stuff out but I guess not this time.
    01-11-09 10:27 PM
    DM 4.7 may be the problem. I don't have time to go into the details right now, but 4.7 changes the way apps are loaded from all previous versions of DM in a way that conflicts with our established procedures. Try uninstalling DM 4.7 and installing DM 4.6. That should fix it. After you uninstall 4.7, do a search everywhere including temp and hidden folders for vendor.xml. You may find stealth copies that 4.7 left behind. Delete them.
    01-12-09 08:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD