I of all people feel that I keep my memory as clean as possible by doing the following:

1. Remove battery (MOST IMPORTANT)
    2. Utilize memory card and have all media saved to it
    3. Clear browser cache, files, history, and cookies
    ------- Open Bowser> Menu> Options> Cache Operations
    4. Close open applications
    ------- Press and hold up/down arrow key then tap the back button (to the right of the track ball) >Only leave open the main 5.
    5. Enable Memory Cleaner and utilize icon
    ------- Options> Security Options> Memory Cleaning
    Note: Upon doing this initially, be sure to turn on the "Show Icon on Home Screen". Also, every time you remove the battery or power off the device, you will to return and enable again.
    6. Delete unused languages, sample video, and unwanted (downloaded) applications
    ------- Options> Advanced Options> Applications (I haven't yet tried deleting included apps, slightly due to fear)
    7. Reduce reserved picture memory to 0mb
    ------- Media> Menu> Options
    8. Delete ALL messages more often than the 15 auto purge

Yet when I send SMS there is a delay averaging six seconds from the time I press send to the time it actually sends. Sometimes it takes as long as fifteen seconds.

The only thing I haven't tried is the new software release. I only have a Mac, and the only PC I have access to is at work and is on lock down.

Does anyone have any info on the SMS delay, or on how to upgrade my BB software using Mac OS X.

Gadget Geek? Member One?

Thank you
    02-05-08 02:05 AM
    Ryan,
    From the looks of your post you're doing all the right things.
    I haven't seen any issue sending an sms as you described. But then again, I don't pay to chose attention. I will though.
    As to updating your software on a mac... I have never used one so I'm of no help.
    Maybe ask over in the MAC forum.
    Sorry I couldn't be of help.
    02-05-08 04:27 AM
    hmmm... does sound very odd Ryan. Your memory maintenance practices are are spot on, with ~11 meg free its unlikely a mem issue.

Some curiosity questions:
    - Are you getting the hour glass during the delay?
    - Is the delay between time hitting send and getting circle icon, or time between circle icon turning to check mark?
    - I assume you've done a battery pull/reboot?
    - You're sending from a good signal/coverage area?
    - No known issues with recipent's network/coverage?
    - Happening consistently to all recipients/networks?
    - Had anything else changed when this behavior started?.. new apps, new themes etc?
    02-05-08 05:46 AM
    SMS send issues are 99% carrier based and their wireless systems.
    02-05-08 07:35 AM
    GG:

I'm a little frustrated cause I just typed a book of info on here and it didn't post, so to recap:

No Hour Glass
    Pulling battery twice a day
    Good signal areas
    Slow to all recipients, on all networks (We'll get back to this though)
    I did just switch to the Verizon Theme, but now have tested on other themes and have the same results

Back to the "- Happening consistently to all recipients/networks?"

I just did some tests, the person I text the most (VZW with an enV), it goes the slowest, Averaging 10-15 seconds to send, AND is slow to open the SMS she sends me, is slow to open a response message back, and is slow while typing the message to her, ie: the characters are delayed severely from when actually pressed.

If I text others (two on VZW, one with a New Choco, the other with a Pearl, another on ATT) it is still slower than it use to be, but only when it comes to sending, no delay with opening messages or typing them.

Back to the person I text the most. In the last 3 weeks we have probably sent/received 4000 messages, about 100 each day each direction. I do delete messages often, but is there some sort of SMS Cache associated with this specific person?

Thanks for your help guys!
    02-05-08 12:07 PM
    Very unusual Ryan, I've never heard of anything like what you've described. I'm at a loss for a suggestion, maybe one of the rest of the crew has a thought.
    02-05-08 07:41 PM
    Bummer!

Thanks for the reply!
    02-05-08 07:44 PM
    You are not alone. I have noticed the same over the last week or so. I have the latest OS for my pearl and have had my phone for about 6 weeks on VZW. text messages used to be almost instantaneous and I have noticed the same slow down. My feeling is that it is at verizons end. I hope a solution presents itself soon. It is not a long delay, but i got used to it going super fast.
    02-05-08 09:09 PM
    GG:

I figured out why the one contact was slower than the others. Beacuse I had been sending so many messages on a daily basis, there was a long history being recorded. For some IDIOTIC reason, I went to options, SMS, and changed the "Number of Previous Items" to 50 (The maximum).

Once I changed that to 10, I no longer had the delays with the one contact.

BUT, the SMS across the board is still much slower than when the phone was new.
    02-06-08 09:24 PM
    This may or may not be helpful, but I would like to share my experience...

Until just a few weeks ago I had been using a 7130e on Verizon and noticed that occasionally my phone would slow WAY down. I managed to tie this occurance to the number of text messages I was sending. When I say slow down I want to explain that even the keystrokes would drag.

Throught trial and error I found that if I went in an cleared out the SMS Inbox and SMS Outbox things sped up tremendously!!!

This may or may not have some bearing on your issue (it seems to based on your most recent posts).

I have not had my Pearl long enough to know if this problem carries over to the new device!

Hope you've got it all fixed now!!

~P
    02-06-08 09:38 PM
    GOOD CALL Pashan!

I went into my SMS Outbox, and sure enough had over 1000 SMS in it. When I dumped them it cut my SMS sending time in half!

Don't know why I didn't think of that myself.

GOOD CALL!

Thank you.
    02-06-08 09:52 PM
    Wooohooo!! Glad I could help you out... I remember how frustrating it was for me when I was having that issue!!

Paige
    02-06-08 10:04 PM
    GG:

I figured out why the one contact was slower than the others. Beacuse I had been sending so many messages on a daily basis, there was a long history being recorded. For some IDIOTIC reason, I went to options, SMS, and changed the "Number of Previous Items" to 50 (The maximum).

Once I changed that to 10, I no longer had the delays with the one contact.
    ahhh.. good find!.. that didn't even occur to me. I never messed with that setting, mine remains set to the default 7.

I went into my SMS Outbox, and sure enough had over 1000 SMS in it. When I dumped them it cut my SMS sending time in half!
    Never thought that could be your issue since in your OP you said:
    8. Delete ALL messages more often than the 15 auto purge
    so silly me just assumed your stored SMS couldn't be that high.

I might suggest another good spot check from time to time:
    Options>Status>Menu>Database Sizes
    This shows you where your memory is being allocated as well as item counts for Messages/Call Logs/Address Book etc.

Glad you're issues are resolved
    02-07-08 05:19 AM
    I have been having this same problem on my phone there are a quite a few contacts that take forever to text message! I love my bb but I cant get over the fact that I cant text people! the black light goes off before the text message is sent and even then it is a good 10 seconds after i hit the trackball for the message to send. I have deleted all my messages and have checked to make sure everything that can does go to my external media chip but still I am having no success when it comes to sending text messages!
    09-05-08 12:31 AM
    Do you clear your Event Log? ALT+LGLG - Menu- Clear log.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Nick917; 09-05-08 at 07:02 AM.
    09-05-08 06:56 AM
    GG:

Back to the "- Happening consistently to all recipients/networks?"

I just did some tests, the person I text the most (VZW with an enV), it goes the slowest, Averaging 10-15 seconds to send, AND is slow to open the SMS she sends me, is slow to open a response message back, and is slow while typing the message to her, ie: the characters are delayed severely from when actually pressed.

If I text others (two on VZW, one with a New Choco, the other with a Pearl, another on ATT) it is still slower than it use to be, but only when it comes to sending, no delay with opening messages or typing them.
    this is happening to like 2 people who i text a lot... but it hasn't happened the entire time i've had this blackberry. this person uses an iphone, but it doesn't happen with other people who use ATT and/or iPhones....

was there a solution to this?
    02-25-10 11:33 AM
    okay so my delay is only with one contact (obviously because i send the most msgs to them)
    i deleted my outbox for sms and it did not help at all
    i am frustrated and dont know what else I can do
    is there a way i can transfer my sms texts to my computer so i can delete them all without loosing everything?
    08-19-10 09:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD