Hi,
    I thought many BB users would be interested in seeing this forum post I just made today (05/05/2008) and also the discovery I made in an attempt to get external audio working on my pearl with the TeleNav application.

Begin TeleNav Forum Post:
    Gina-TeleNav wrote:

At this time, neither wired nor wireless headsets are supported for use with TeleNav GPS Navigator, in part due to the many differences in external audio hardware.
    Got Big News for the support staff, and in an effort to be fair, the support staff may not actually be aware of the current situation regarding external voice options on the BB's.

First, this claim that due to differences in external audio hardware is the problem is simply not true!
    Headsets do NOT vary as far as "external audio hardware" is concerned!
    They all have three or four wires made of copper, and they all physically connect the exact same way. They are all magnet based drivers that produce the sound.

We all see that many applications do have external voice via Bluetooth or a 1/8 output jack on a BB and do this very well. Further more TeleNav Has Been Confirmed To Work via 1/8 external output jack but only for a few seconds.

[b]If anyone wonders if I am accurate on this claim, try this little test.

1. Turn on TeleNav on your BB.
    2. Select: Drive To, Choose a location, and Get the route so the TeleNav application is running.
    3. Press the AS or Voice Repeat key to hear the navigation voice on the BB through the internal speaker. (works via internal speakers)
    4. Now grab your stock wired earpiece you got with your Berry and plug it in to the 1/8 jack on the BB right after hitting the AS/Audio key and you will hear the sound through the external connection for a couple of seconds before it reverts back to internal.
    5. Note this only works by using the same sequence mentioned above and has to be replicated each time for this to work. In other words you have to unplug the 1/8" headset/earpiece jack each time, hit the audio key and quickly plug the headset/earpiece back in to hear the audio for a few seconds.

If it was not possible to have external audio for TeleNav then this could not happen. Period

It is possible... and can be implemented via a knowledgeable and skilled programmer that has experience working with java based applications for pda's and surprise! it would not even take that long to implement into the current builds as this is not a mystery build feature as evidenced by the many external audio enabled applications available and working properly on the current list of BB's. Do I hear any programmers out there willing to take on the challenge?

FYI: The reason I am upset about this is in part due to the fact that I have been trying to get past the low / internal phone only audio for a week now and after two Bluetooth purchases that would not carry TeleNav audio, and then today purchasing a wired amp and couple of speakers to run separate for this, just to find out when I get it all home that low and behold...the TeleNav application does not lock to external voice audio when a 1/8 input is used and after a couple of seconds of working through the external 1/8 connection it reverts back to internal due to a bug or more than likely an oversight or lack of implementation in the build code for the versions we are all struggling with.

I would very much like to see some skilled coders/programmers get on this YESTERDAY and GET IT DONE!

Two features would make TeleNav number 1, Intelligent Routing and External voice via wired or Bluetooth. When you take a look at the concerns of the business crowd alone it must be PAINFULLY obvious to the TeleNav Company that they are loosing tons of potential revenue from all of the mega multi user corporations that are not using this service simply because of the lack of these two features. Wow talk about an incentive program to make it so people. Very cost effective to say the least.

BB Pearl-2 8130 on Sprint PCS CDMA Network
    Pearl OS: 4.3.0.71 - Platform: 3.1.0.37
    TeleNav Version: 5.1.0.88

Thank You, Craig C.
    craig(at)magiccastlecreations.com
    End Telenav Forum Post:

I think I said it all in the post, and I am tired of running into non informed administration/support personnel claiming there version is the true and only reality without validation or confirmation of there assessments, while leaving the masses believing these unfounded claims and thinking that no further options are available. I think we need some Hard Core Programmers to give them a serious jingle and inform them on what can be done (build wise) with there application(s) in terms of external voice options for the BB’s.

Best Regards, Craig C.
    05-05-08 07:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD