03-21-14 02:06 PM
173 1234 ...
tools
    hello,i come from china.i love blackberry.
    i brought 8100 pearl form HongKong.
    i have come across with this problem.
    may be U have installed some software
    that din't adapt to it's OS.
    so ,U can do it flow:
    1.contect to PC
    2.open DM
    3.WIPE the device
    4.delete the file "Vendor.html"
    (c:/program files/common files/Research in
    Motion/loader)
    08-26-08 07:43 AM
    app error 523 reset

U loaded the wrong COD application!!!

use javaloader 2 unload it
    08-27-08 09:26 AM
    this is pretty annoying.. i just got the blackberry bold (last week, only a couple of days after its release here in canada) and i get that error everyday.. i havent installed any apps, or messed around with the phone in any way. so why should i re-install a brand new OS (i mean, they must have loaded the bold with the latest one)
    09-03-08 07:51 AM
    My wife recently got the fatal error 523 reset on her VZW Blackberry Pearl 8130. We could not save any data and had to wipe using instructions found in this thread. That recovery worked fine and she's had no subsequent problems.

I was visiting Engadget's web site today, and when I clicked a link, the hourglass appeared as it often does on some script-based websites.

This time, tho, my VZW 8830 running v4.2.2.176 never recovered. I got the white screen with Error 523 reset. I "reset" by clicking the reset button on the screen. Power went down. I turned power on. All my data is there and everything seems perfect.

I'm on a BES config, and my wife is only BIS.
    09-09-08 11:34 AM
    Does anyone know why these 523 errors occur. anything to do with password protection??
    09-25-08 04:11 AM
    Prevention is often better than detection.

The reason for the 523 error is due to a number of circumstances being true:
    the device is locked
    content protection is enabled
    the 'today' theme is enabled
    a mms message is received.

so, if you're runing 4.2.2 this is the solution. DESELECT THE TODAY THEME.

Job done! (or so I'm told)
    09-25-08 05:51 AM
    Thanks bpbrown, your solution worked. (delete the latest downloaded theme). Its such a relief to get my BB back.
    09-29-08 01:34 AM
    I had this happened to me and although I love CB a lot of the instructions I received made it seem a lot harder then it really was. All I did was

install my DM that came with my phone

Download my handheld OS from tmobile ( or whatever carrier you have)

After both were installed I opened the app loader on DM and put my password>select advance>erase all apps>select the do not option>uncheck back up and your done you should see the hour glass on your phone.

I owe a lot of the help to blackberry support at tmobile. He walked me through the whole process. My phone was back to new in about 15 mins but it could take up to 30 mins. Of course you want to back up first before. Mine happened after I deleted a couple BB apps I thought I didn't need.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-08 09:49 AM
    I called RIM on this "App Error 523 <button>Reset</button>" and they had me go to an FTP site, download and install their java loader. I then typed "javaloader -u wipe" from the command prompt while in that directory and the device appeared to be wiped. I had to unplug the battery and continuously retry that command while my Pearl 8100 was booting but eventually I was able to wipe it. I then used the Desktop Manager to reload the OS to the blackberry. I do use a password to lock the device and I was prompted to reenter it when it booted despite the OS looking like it was refreshed. RIM pushed me some "service books" and I was able to use the device again (and would have been able to restore a backup if I had one).
    10-02-08 07:17 PM
    I have the app error 523 message on my 8310 phone it won't go past this screen when i reboot it (which I have done like 20 times). I tried to hook it up to the DM and it says it cannot connect.. I'm totally lost as to what to do... :-(
    10-23-08 12:40 AM
    Thank you so much aptyp for this indepth review on DOS commands!

Your directions worked, even on Windows 2000 Pro. My 8310 had been running 4.2.2.173 on the At&T Network. I downloaded the 4.5.0.81 for Rogers.

I had upgraded to the 4.5 OS on my 8310 with directions from the forums here, and all was working well. I had been using a custom theme "Surreal" made for 4.2.2, but had changed it to a BB standard theme jsut to be safe for the upgrade. After verifying everything was working great, I switched back to the "surreal" theme without thinking of the OS possibilities. Then the DREADED "App Error 523". Enough said. So, I was just going to restore, then realized that I had not backed up my new upgraded OS.

So, after much digging, I came across your directions. I had to modify a couple of commands a bit for my Windows config, but I was able to force delete the file "net_rim_theme_surreal_320x240_b". My BB rebooted on its own with the standard AT&T theme, and began working! Hallelujah!

Thank you again for taking the time to input such detailed command structure. (it has been a long time since DOS days!)

Next step was the fastest back up I have ever done.

Sincerely,

Archer_Guy

I have a fix that does not require erasing your data! Of course following these instructions could also destroy everything on your blackberry, so read between the lines and only do things that make sense to you.

First off this is on a T-Mo 8320 software v 4.2.2.180

This happened to me because of a theme error. I was using the "bbdimension today" and found my phone locked up in a reboot cycle in the morning. After digging around I found someone that suggested looking through modules with the javaloader/jl_cmdr software and removing anything new. This theme was the first thing i removed and my blackberry powered right up.

You have to get JL_cmdr package from pinstack:
    blackberryforums.pinstack.com/downloads.html?catid=5&linkid=452

Then install it on your system. Now that your blackberry is in a reboot cycle, you have a very short amount of time to actually run these commands while the system is booting up and you have the white screen with the hour glass. So you may have to pull the battery several times while doing these steps and run one command at a time.

(in windows xp)
    1) click "start" -> "run" -> type in "cmd" and hit enter to get to dos prompt
    2) type in the following:
    "c:\Program Files\JL_Cmder\JavaLoader.exe" -u -w<passwordifyouhaveone> dir > mymodules.txt
    this will create a file in your current directory called mymodules.txt. open it and look through your modules. in my case the culprit was "net_rim_theme_bbdimension_today_320x240_b". This theme displays my messages and calendar on the front page of the system. I'm guessing that since it has to recalculate the calendar each day, there must have been something about the tasks that I set up yesterday to show up in my calendar. It must have hit a snag after the date changed at midnight, and it got hung up. Could have also been something about my messages.
    3) once you determine which module(s) you want to delete, we'll need to save it just in case we want it back later. In my case the module was "net_rim_theme_bbdimension_today_320x240_b"
    the full command to save it was:
    "c:\Program Files\JL_Cmder\JavaLoader.exe -u -w<passwordifyouhaveone> save net_rim_theme_bbdimension_today_320x240_b
    4) now erase it!
    "c:\Program Files\JL_Cmder\JavaLoader.exe -u -w<passwordifyouhaveone> erase net_rim_theme_bbdimension_today_320x240_b

On my blackberry, it said that this was an active module, so I had to force it with the -f switch. Total command was:
    "c:\Program Files\JL_Cmder\JavaLoader.exe -u -w<passwordifyouhaveone> erase -f net_rim_theme_bbdimension_today_320x240_b

After the module was erased, the blackberry restarted and my system came back to fully working status.

Hope this helps someone!
    10-23-08 03:20 PM
    A lot of people are saying that they are getting the app error message, but is anything else wrong with your phone? Because one day an array of screw ups happened to my phone. Here's the list:

- Battery doesn't even last a whole day after a full charge. I actually ran out of battery at around 6pm after charging my blackberry the night before. It was mostly on standby the whole day. No excessive browsing or anything.
    - There is a typing lag. If I type fast sometimes it would lag and skip a few buttons that I had pressed. eg The quick own fox jumps over e lazy dog. It tends to skip just 2 letters.
    - Apparently I can still send emails (although I have been taking the safe route and using my laptop the past few days), but I can't receive any emails, on both my gmail and AT&T email.
    - The speaker (as of last night) is very soft. My ringtone stays the same, but no matter where I put the volume (escalating, low, medium, high) it still plays it very very quietly. I'm beginning to think its actually even softer than low.
    - And I've received the error 523 twice now, both times after charging the blackberry for the whole night.

I am using an unlocked (or should I say never locked) blackberry curve from Vodafone that I bought in New Zealand. I recently moved to LA and am using that blackberry with AT&T. It had been working fine for the last month or so since I've been using AT&T and I had absolutely no problems while using Vodafone in New Zealand.

So because all these problems came about all at the same time (with the exception of the speaker problem. That just happened), I thought it would be unlikely that 2 simultaneous problems arose at the same time. So I thought that it could just be the battery screwing up and if I buy a new one everything will be fixed. Any thoughts on whether this would work?

The blackberry is technically still under warranty because its less than a year old, but seeing as I bought it in New Zealand it provides a bit of a problem...
    10-26-08 01:42 PM
    hi i have the same problem with my new blackberry pearl i seem to get the same message all of the time, thus reading the the paragraphs, i was just wanting to know if u still have to reload the system if it is a t mobile phone and if so how do you. also what are the punishments of not reloading the phone at that time or in a short time span
    12-01-08 10:09 PM
    umm okay, so i downloaded the OS, and the Desktop Manager. Although i think they are both the same things. but when i connect my bb, an icon appears on the tool bar, and says that "New Hardware Found" than after a bit it goes, "New Hardware installed and ready to use". i see no set-up, or back up. After that the DM just goes Connected. Nothing else happens. so can u plz explain how to fix this. thank you.
    1. The OS is for your Blackberry and Desktop manager is the software for your computer to be able to see your phone.

2. (section in red) this tells you that your computer has successfully added your phone to the device manager(the computer one not DESKTOP MANAGER).
    3. When you downloaded the OS file did you run it to install it on your PC?
    4. If you did not do Step #3, then you need to run the installer for the OS and then go in and remove the "vender.xml" file from the [C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Apploader]
    5. Once you have done the above, start Desktop Manager and connect your BB, if you did the above correctly it should automatically see your BB and tell you that there is an upgrade available for your phone, if this happens just follow the directions and it will do the upgrade for you, takes about an hour to do the upgrade/reinstall.
    5. If there are no updates for your phone, then when you open DM and it shows connected then click on "Application Loader" and you can then update that way.

Hope this helps you.
    12-02-08 05:58 AM
    Thanks "bpbrown" your simpler solution worked great for my 8310 when I got the error message and I didn't loose any data!!!
    12-07-08 11:24 PM
    So...I woke up to my phone with a white screen in the middle "App error 523"
    I've only had this phone for 2 months and freaked out so I went online and google "soft reset." It did nothing...I kept getting the same error. Then I came on here and read some of the suggestions. I didn't really like the thought of losing any data so I decided to try the easiest process on here which was deleting the apps and I did a soft reset...here's what I did ::::

~ I already had the latest desktop manager so I just connected my curve to my comp.

~ I clicked on the application and remove all the apps (themes, myspace and google maps)

~Once it was successful, removed the battery from the back and

~ I pressed ALT, caps (aA button) and DEL

~ My phone booted correctly AND nothing was lost.

Hope this helps someone =)
    12-17-08 06:41 PM
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I got the white screen, and "App error 523" reset. I was under the impression that the "reset" part was a link, and I pressed my trackball in to select it. My phone reset on it's own, and I haven't had a problem out of it since. Not sure how much it helps. I lost no data, and my BB is running fine.
    12-23-08 08:05 AM
    ahhh..... good old 523.
    12-23-08 09:05 AM
    I am now getting this error on my pearl, if I reset the device without the SD card inserted it will start up normally but with the SD card it gives error.
    Handheld OS = 4.5.0.81
    Applications are the default apps.

Any Suggestions or do I still need to re-load the OS
    01-01-09 07:51 AM
    well, i bought the blackberry 8100 about six months ago... at the week , application error 523 started to appear, i had to click in reset like 3, 4 times till the blackberry started normally... well this couple of weeks it started to do some crazy things.. first, at any time, the screen goes in blank, without notice, i have to take the battery out an in, this starts the sand clock in the screen then sends the blackberry error. other times, the screen for some reason start to display a yellow color in all the screen... everytime it goes yellow, if i lock the blackberry, or let the screen go off, pressing any button to use it the screen will go in blank... ive been so frustated haha at this time the blackberry doesnt ever want to show the clocl sand when i turn it on, it just sits there...
    soo please help me, ive read every explanation here, ive tried de vendor.xml thing, doesnt do anything, ive tried to wipe the blackberry but i dont know what to do...
    ill wait to some reply, please ASAP, haha..
    01-07-09 01:23 AM
    i have a curve 8310 and after downloading a theme i got the 532 error. i followed these directions on the blog from naviwilliams, johnclark & BlackerDaBerry7 comments and it worked!! i lost my data but at least my phone works again! thanks everyone!
    01-10-09 12:02 PM
    i tried deleting the theme causing the app error by using javaloader but when i try to read the modules on my phone it says that access is denied.. can anyone help me my phones been like this for a week
    01-17-09 10:20 AM
    How do you reload the OS?????? ?This really doesnt make much sense to me so it would be great if someone could easily explain it. I followed the CrackBerry post at the top and did almost everything. I got lost after i deleted the vendor.xml file. nothing came up asking me if i wanted to backup my files and i had just installed the Desktop Manager.
    01-31-09 09:40 PM
    I have a fix that does not require erasing your data! Of course following these instructions could also destroy everything on your blackberry, so read between the lines and only do things that make sense to you.

This happened to me because of a theme error. I was using the "bbdimension today" and found my phone locked up in a reboot cycle in the morning. After digging around I found someone that suggested looking through modules with the javaloader/jl_cmdr software and removing anything new. This theme was the first thing i removed and my blackberry powered right up.

Then install it on your system. Now that your blackberry is in a reboot cycle, you have a very short amount of time to actually run these commands while the system is booting up and you have the white screen with the hour glass. So you may have to pull the battery several times while doing these steps and run one command at a time.

(in windows xp)
    "c:\Program Files\JL_Cmder\JavaLoader.exe" -u -w<passwordifyouhaveone> dir > mymodules.txt
    this will create a file in your current directory called mymodules.txt. open it and look through your modules. in my case the culprit was "net_rim_theme_bbdimension_today_320x240_b". This theme displays my messages and calendar on the front page of the system. I'm guessing that since it has to recalculate the calendar each day, there must have been something about the tasks that I set up yesterday to show up in my calendar. It must have hit a snag after the date changed at midnight, and it got hung up. Could have also been something about my messages.
    3) once you determine which module(s) you want to delete, we'll need to save it just in case we want it back later. In my case the module was "net_rim_theme_bbdimension_today_320x240_b"
    "c:\Program Files\JL_Cmder\JavaLoader.exe" -u -w<passwordifyouhaveone> save net_rim_theme_bbdimension_today_320x240_b
    4) now erase it!
    "c:\Program Files\JL_Cmder\JavaLoader.exe" -u -w<passwordifyouhaveone> erase net_rim_theme_bbdimension_today_320x240_b

On my blackberry, it said that this was an active module, so I had to force it with the -f switch. Total command was:
    "c:\Program Files\JL_Cmder\JavaLoader.exe" -u -w<passwordifyouhaveone> erase -f net_rim_theme_bbdimension_today_320x240_b

After the module was erased, the blackberry restarted and my system came back to fully working status.

Hope this helps someone!

THANK YOU

I had installed a theme ages ago called "surreal" but apparently I never ran it. I was playing around and decided to change the theme when I got the application error and it just kept resetting. I tried your fix for the surreal theme, and presto - everything back to normal. All I had to so was reset my wallpaper after. Thank you so much. This fix was a godsend.

I found the link for Javaloader did not work, however I found a separate link which did, so I am posting it here just in case.

h ttp://forums.pinstack.com/downloads.php?catid=5&linkid=452
    02-08-09 10:33 PM
    APTYP, this was the very issue I had with my BB 8820. I deleted the offending Theme, and it now appears to be booting properly. This took about 30 minutes for me to go through, but the boot process didn't give me the darn error anymore! (just finished booting, and it DOES work)

(in windows xp)
    "c:\Program Files\JL_Cmder\JavaLoader.exe -u -w<passwordifyouhaveone> save net_rim_theme_bbdimension_today_320x240_b
    4) now erase it!
    "c:\Program Files\JL_Cmder\JavaLoader.exe -u -w<passwordifyouhaveone> erase net_rim_theme_bbdimension_today_320x240_b

"c:\Program Files\JL_Cmder\JavaLoader.exe -u -w<passwordifyouhaveone> erase -f net_rim_theme_bbdimension_today_320x240_b

Hope this helps someone!
    02-17-09 06:44 PM
173 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD