For some reason, every once in a while, my Pearl 8130 will just erase all of my calls in my call log and all of my text messages I spoke with someone from Verizon who told me that I should have my settings from Call Log to Options to General Options "Confirm Delete: No." I had it set on "Confirm Delete: Yes." She told me that if this is the setting it will automatically erase my log I've had this issue a few times now and this is the first I've ever heard of this as a resolve? I also have my text messages set to store for at least 30 Days.
    I've also had people from Verizon tell me to hold down the Shift key and type in LGLG - and to use the Memory Cleaning from time to time which is found in the Security Options Settings - and then there's the times they say well just take your battery out while you're phone is still on.
    Another person I've talked to said it could simply be the software...
    Does anyone ever run into this problem who may have some other pointers that may really help stop this from happening? I would greatly appreciate any feedback! Thanks!
    08-17-08 09:54 AM
    Check your free memory: Options/Status/File Free:

What you are describing is typical of the problems caused by low available memory. Any time "File Free" drops below 12 000 000 bytes, the phone will start deleting call logs and text messages without warning to free up memory. Text messages may be deleted as soon as they arrive, before you have had time to read them.

A battery pull recovers memory and will alleviate the problem temporarily. The solution is to remove the stuff you don't need (the sample video, wallpaper, themes, other languages, brickbreaker, etc.) from the device's memory. Stoner developed this procedure to guide you:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

Also, if you have a Media Card, be sure to put pictures, videos, music, and ringtones on it, not in your device's memory. Keep in mind that Media Card memory is not device memory. You have to keep your device memory above 12 000 000 bytes, regardless of the capacity of your Media Card or how much free space it has. Finally, you can't at this time run programs from a Media Card. Programs have to be installed in and executed in device memory.
    08-17-08 09:56 AM
    thank you for the tips! much appreciated feedback!
    08-17-08 10:10 AM
    okay so my file free is over 16 000 000 i guess thats not the issue. And I have a 2GB mem card and nothing saved to the device except for what HAS to be... at least I have the right idea lol
    08-17-08 10:13 AM
    thank you for the tips! much appreciated feedback!
    You're welcome. If you would take a moment to check something, you could help me, as well. I was told recently that members with post counts less than 10 could not see links in signatures. I know you can't post a link, but I didn't know you couldn't see one in a sig. Can you confirm that you can or cannot see the three links that are in my signature? Thanks,
    08-17-08 10:14 AM
    okay so my file free is over 16 000 000 i guess thats not the issue. And I have a 2GB mem card and nothing saved to the device except for what HAS to be... at least I have the right idea lol
    Yes, that's a safe, though not large, file free. Something is causing your memory to drop below the safe limit. If you leave apps running instead of closing them, they will continue to use memory. Some applications don't close well, and continue to cause problems. You might try to notice what you're doing when the problem occurs. You may find an app that is the culprit.

If you haven't done the Stoner Procedure, you still should. You can likely gain considerably more File Free than 16 000 000, which will improve your operating margin.
    08-17-08 10:19 AM
    Jeff,
    I have less than 10 posts and i see your links just fine. As a matter of fact, i have used them all. Thanks.
    08-17-08 10:42 AM
    Jeff,
    I have less than 10 posts and i see your links just fine. As a matter of fact, i have used them all. Thanks.
    Thank you for clearing up that misunderstanding. And welcome to the forums! I'm glad you've found those links useful. If you haven't already, be sure to check out the Getting Started Guide and the BlackBerry 101 Lecture Series under the Newbies tab at the top of the page.
    08-17-08 10:46 AM
    This girl I know has had this problem with her pearl since day 1 out of the box, every morning she wakes up and all of her texts and call log are gone, she gets pretty mad about it. i havent really looked into it, and shes not a gadget genius or anything. so her file free is also well above 12, and she too has a memory card. shes done several battery pulls before she goes to sleep to alleviate the problem of programs running, and the messages are there on boot up, but not in the morning.

so my question is: is there some sort of 24hr clear setting the phone might have...cuz my curve is set to delete **** every 15 days...
    08-20-08 01:45 PM
    My 8130 did this today too. I thought I was crazy but I guess not! Must be a pearl problem. I've considered downloading the new OS but I've never done anything like that so I'm nervous to try it.
    08-20-08 02:14 PM
    This girl I know has had this problem with her pearl since day 1 out of the box, every morning she wakes up and all of her texts and call log are gone, she gets pretty mad about it. i havent really looked into it, and shes not a gadget genius or anything. so her file free is also well above 12, and she too has a memory card. shes done several battery pulls before she goes to sleep to alleviate the problem of programs running, and the messages are there on boot up, but not in the morning.

so my question is: is there some sort of 24hr clear setting the phone might have...cuz my curve is set to delete **** every 15 days...
    Have her check the file free and report every digit, not just two. She probably has 1.2M free, not 12M free. You have to keep file free greater than 12 000 000 bytes. If it's 1 200 000, she's very low on memory. Have her perform the Stoner Procedure that's linked in my sig.

ALOdem: the same advice applies to you. It's a free memory problem, not a Pearl problem. Check Options / Status / File Free. It has to be above 12 000 000 bytes. The Stoner Procedure will solve your problem.
    Last edited by JeffH; 08-20-08 at 02:21 PM. Reason: added Odem info
    08-20-08 02:18 PM
    Mine was above 13 000 000 when I checked after reading this thread

I was in the process of installing Viigo when it happened. Maybe that's why?

I'll check out the Stoner Procedure though. thanks!
    Last edited by ALOdem; 08-20-08 at 02:38 PM.
    08-20-08 02:26 PM
    I'm having the same problem... and here's the part where I sound like an idiot: When I go to options, i do not have a "status" option. Under the call log, I have a status option directly in the menu, but it does not show memory usage. Am I looking in the wrong spot?
    08-20-08 02:49 PM
    Mine was above 13 000 000 when I checked after reading this thread

I was in the process of installing Viigo when it happened. Maybe that's why?

I'll check out the Stoner Procedure though. thanks!
    AL: yes, the memory requirements during the install could have caused your problem.

I'm having the same problem... and here's the part where I sound like an idiot: When I go to options, i do not have a "status" option. Under the call log, I have a status option directly in the menu, but it does not show memory usage. Am I looking in the wrong spot?
    tlynnec: go to options from the home screen, not from the phone. You'll find it there.
    08-20-08 03:09 PM
    Ah, yes, apparently I *am* an idi0t. Thanks, and problem solved.
    08-20-08 03:19 PM
    idk i cant read hers right now, id have to look at it later, but my curve doesnt have nearly 12 000 000 and it doesnt do this, my curve only has like 7 000 000 and its fine :/
    08-20-08 05:59 PM
    Your curve is definitely NOT fine with 7 000 000 bytes file free. You should perform at least the first steps in the Stoner procedure immediately, or your call log and text messages will be lost irretrievably. Ignore me at your peril. The risk is well-known and well-documented.
    08-20-08 06:34 PM
    I recently had the same issue pop up when I traveled to the west coast. I thought it was a service error so when I got back to MD I took it into my Verizon Store.

The technician metioned that this was a common error with the 8130 and they REPLACED the handset. I am concerned that perhaps this is a bad build on the model and might consider upgrading to the curve.
    08-21-08 07:37 AM
    If you change to a Curve, be sure to get the 8330 model. It's the only BlackBerry with 96MB; all the other current models have 64MB, including your 8130. What you are experiencing is not just a bad build or a bad model. It IS a common problem of all BlackBerries except the 8330.

Check your Options / Status / File Free. If it is less than 12 000 000 bytes, you will have the problems you experienced previously. The Stoner Procedure, linked in my sig, will help you free up memory to make it less likely to happen, but you will still have to monitor your memory.
    08-21-08 07:57 AM
    I too had this occur to me about a week ago - it's SO frustrating because I keep track of contact w/ my clients via my call log

ugh

Thanks for all the great help!
    08-21-08 08:22 AM
    Wow, guess I am doing pretty well then, as my Curve File Free says 39075738

Thanks for all your great knowledge Jeff
    08-21-08 09:03 AM
    Yes, your file free is fine, although if you haven't done the Stoner Procedure, you can still free up more by doing it. 64M device users typically have much less than 30M file free, even after performing the procedure.
    08-21-08 10:59 AM
    I had the same problem- had to reinstall my operating system. Apparently it is a common problem in this model.....
    08-21-08 04:13 PM
    Please read the earlier posts. It is not a problem with the Pearl. It is a problem with all BlackBerries. You need to read and perform the Memory Procedure that's linked in my sig, or your problem will recur.
    08-21-08 04:18 PM
    My 8330 started this today erasing txt messages from today and yesterday, not before that and clears my call log...why...its brand new, only 2 wks tops old, over 24MB free....help...
    08-21-08 11:42 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD