I always lock and keep my pearl in my pocket. I've accidentally placed emergency calls 3 times in the past week. I've had them call me and even come to my workplace to make sure everything was fine. Any advice on how to stop this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-08 11:19 AM
    I'm not sure that you can turn it off completely, though if you go to Options -> Security -> General - AllowOutgoing Calls While Locked, the locked behaviour is slightly different and would probably result in far less accidental emergency calls!

To be fair, you would probably be best advised to get a pouch, holder or whatever for the device.
    09-12-08 11:33 AM
    I'm not sure that you can turn it off completely, though if you go to Options -> Security -> General - AllowOutgoing Calls While Locked, the locked behaviour is slightly different and would probably result in far less accidental emergency calls!

To be fair, you would probably be best advised to get a pouch, holder or whatever for the device.
    I did what you said, about turning off 'allow calls while locked,' the same day. Next day, it happened again, I placed an emergency call. I'm totally stumped. I don't like using a pouch or holster

09-13-08 08:27 PM
    Sounds like a speed dial issue to me. Is one of your digits designated as a 911 speed dialer?

If it happens too much you could end up getting a bill from the responding agency and I think you also get dinged, on your phone bill, everytime you dial 911.

09-13-08 09:12 PM
    Is your phone in standby mode? Mine won't let me make an emergency call when I am.
    09-13-08 09:24 PM
    Standby mode is pressing the mute button at the top (left) of the phone. Should solve your problems dialing numbers; but from what you're saying, yours are going out as emergency and that will supercede a locked phone.....becasue its an emergency.

Carrying your phone in the sleeve that came with it is your BEST protection since your dropping it in your pocket. As long as those buttons on your keypad are hitting something, a message screen will appear asking if you want to place the mergency call.

If you're not aware of this, and you're just moving about, your moving the trackball around in the inside of the pocket and answering YES; at that point the emergency call is being made.
    09-13-08 09:41 PM
    I had this same issue. If you push a button it brings up a menu and you have a 33pct chance to make an emergency call. After this happened to me 4 different times I started putting it in standby and no longer have the issue
    09-14-08 12:03 AM
    Its a safety feature of the phone, to be able to dial emergency services while its locked and as far as I'm aware you can't disable it, other than putting the phone in standby as suggested. Emergency services have a responsibility to attend / check out a no speech emergency call...however where I am if you make too many false calls they have your network cut the phone off...
    09-14-08 05:45 AM
    Standby mode is pressing the mute button at the top (left) of the phone. Should solve your problems dialing numbers; but from what you're saying, yours are going out as emergency and that will supercede a locked phone.....becasue its an emergency.

Carrying your phone in the sleeve that came with it is your BEST protection since your dropping it in your pocket. As long as those buttons on your keypad are hitting something, a message screen will appear asking if you want to place the mergency call.

If you're not aware of this, and you're just moving about, your moving the trackball around in the inside of the pocket and answering YES; at that point the emergency call is being made.
    Thank you so much! I never knew about standby mode. Its amazing the things someone can learn off of CrackBerry.com.

09-15-08 07:34 AM
    Thank you so much! I never knew about standby mode. Its amazing the things someone can learn off of CrackBerry.com.

You're very welcome. Thats what we're here for!!
    09-15-08 09:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD