Hi all:

I've had an Alltel 8130 for about 7 months and utilize email through redirector on my work computer. Works great but I don't like not being able to look at attachments, etc.

My wife just got an 8130 and set her email using just the wizard on the phone (no software loaded at all onto home computer, no redirector). Just entered her email account and info on her phone and now she's good to go... gets attachments. I'm guessing she's utilizing Alltel's Blackberry server?

I would like to do the same, but my phone doesn't give me the option to set up an account. Only options in the email setup wizard are:

1. I want to use a work email account with a Blackberry Enterprise Server
    2. I want to skip email setup.

Her phone has the above options listed, as well as a third option:

3. I want to add another email address

Again, my phone does not give me that option.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by GaTiger; 01-23-09 at 09:47 PM.
    01-23-09 09:36 PM
    Do you have a data plan?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-09 09:39 PM
    Yes. Have a data plan. Same one as my wife. We didn't adjust our account settings any when she got her phone a few days ago.
    01-23-09 09:46 PM
    Try going to manage connection/ make sure data is on/ if it is hit the BB button/ start provisioning. See if this works?

01-23-09 09:53 PM
    Went to Manage Connections, Data Services is set to on. Looks like the Mobile Network Blackberry Internet Services Connection was set to "not connected". Turned it on and i'm guessing that will do the trick. Might have to disable the redirector - can that be done from the phone?
    01-23-09 10:12 PM
    Honesty I have no clue about redirector, someone else is going to have to help you on this one sorry

01-23-09 10:15 PM
    Thanks Zero.

Looks like I could wipe the handheld and get rid of redirector, but also other stuff. Probably just go to work in the morning and approach it from the redirector software side. Thanks for you help.
    01-23-09 10:30 PM
    wiped the handheld... loaded 4.5 software, and still don't have an "add email account" option in email setup. just gives me the option to either skip email setup, or add Enterprise.

Not sure what to do now?

The goal is to enter my email account and utilize Alltels mobile service to get my messages (with attachments). Trying to get away from redirector.
    Last edited by GaTiger; 01-23-09 at 11:59 PM.
    01-23-09 11:51 PM
    More information. I went to my alltel account to look at the features and setup of my phone. I noticed that my phone says "Blackberry Enterprise Edition", while my wife's phone says "Blackberry Personal Edition."

doesn't look like I can change this online, so a trip to the store in the morning should fix this (I hope). Does this sound like the problem? It seems like when the different edition is designated for my phone, I should have the option to add an email account, right? Thanks for listening all.
    01-24-09 12:39 AM
    Is your phone a work phone? Your wife has BIS while you have BES. BES is for work related BB's, if you do not have a business phone then your trip to the store should do the trick.
    01-24-09 07:48 AM
    No. My phone is a personal phone. I called alltel and they were able to reset my account for Blackberry Personal Edition - had the option to set up an email in about two seconds! Good to go now.

I guess this is the best way to learn about the capabilities/features of a Blackberry.

Only issues now is that I have two mail icons - a generic one with no title, and one with my email address listed next to the icon. Can I delete the generic one since it looks like it just duplicates the other one? I'v got my settings configured to separate SMS and Email inboxes. Thanks!
    01-24-09 10:42 AM
    That generic folder is can not be deleted or removed in anyway. We are all stuck with it, some people hide the other folder and just keep the generic folder. I personally have all my folders showing just because.
    01-24-09 11:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD