I read somewhere that uppercase EDGE means full steam ahead for all data handling but lowercase edge means only phone and texting. If this is the case, what determines whether you have EDGE or edge access?

Right now I have lowercase edge and I can receive no data -- even though I'm in my home where normally I have EDGE access.
    05-03-08 04:38 AM
    EDEG means that you are logged into the network, edge means that the signal is present but your phone is not logged in i.e. you cannot use the service. This is most likely to happen if you a). do not have a data plan with the current carrier, b). your phone (SIM card) has not been configured for this network.

The same is true if you see GPRS or gprs. You can still phone and SMS but email and web access will not work.

If you do a forum search, or read the Blackberry manual, there is a full explanation of all the symbols and what they mean.
    05-03-08 06:05 AM
    If you do a forum search, or read the Blackberry manual, there is a full explanation of all the symbols and what they mean.
    Now who does that? Kidding.

Nice to know, I didn't even notice they changed. Although I do kind of remember seeing "edge" before, just didn't think anything of it.
    05-03-08 06:13 AM
    You may also see 1X and 1x...
    1X.....Non-EVDO w/BB Data Connection
    1x.....Non-EVDO w/No BB Data Connection
    1XEV.....EVDO w/BB Data Connection
    1xev.....EVDO w/No BB Data Connection
    05-03-08 08:09 AM
    Hrm, I had wondered about this...
    I just assumed it meant the EDGE network was just loading or something, as I only ever see the lowercase version for a couple of seconds when I do a reset...
    05-03-08 10:32 AM
    It eventually switched from edge to EDGE ... but I don't know why it was edge at all given that it's been EDGE for a couple of years. Oh well.

Thanks.
    05-03-08 08:49 PM
    I have just a regular unlimited data plan - I have a 8100 on the 4.5.0.18 OS and I always have edge - I have full access to the wap browser and mini opera...everything works great...just don't have the email!
    05-03-08 11:18 PM
    It also goes lower case when there's an outage.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-03-08 11:38 PM
    whatsup well i always have the lowercase edge is that bad? i am in a remote area. ive been unable to access opermini and its really pissing me off =/ anyways i can use the BB browser, so why not operamini? do i need EDGE?
    05-04-08 12:27 AM
    It eventually switched from edge to EDGE ... but I don't know why it was edge at all given that it's been EDGE for a couple of years. Oh well.

Thanks.
    There was a planned data outage last night and that's why it went to edge.

Planned RIM Outage - Americas - May 3rd, 2am - 6am EST | CrackBerry.com
    Last edited by kasperapd; 05-04-08 at 12:46 AM.
    05-04-08 12:42 AM
    idk i never rele thought about that stuff...i jus kno the arrows appear then it says GSM then edge then EDGE
    05-04-08 01:13 PM
    You may also see 1X and 1x...
    1X.....Non-EVDO w/BB Data Connection
    1x.....Non-EVDO w/No BB Data Connection
    1XEV.....EVDO w/BB Data Connection
    1xev.....EVDO w/No BB Data Connection

Easy to tell you have the 8830 Jeff. EVDO is a CDMA only protocol and it won't be seen on a GSM phone. I'm jealous.
    05-04-08 01:36 PM
    Caught me with my CDMA showing! My previous bb was a verizon 7250. I've had CDMA for so long, I forget there's anything else. More memory leakage...
    05-04-08 02:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD