another edge vs EDGE question.

I just bought an unlocked att 8100 from the US for use in India (airtel). Airtel has activated the data services but it is still showing up as edge. I also don't have the add airtel email logo.

Airtel keeps saying that it should change to EDGE but it doesn't. I've tried most of all the forums here say .. namely searching for the network manually, taking the battery out for 2 mins, taking the sim out for a couple of mins, trying to register it on the network (dosent get the registered sms), even wiped out the phone, set data off and then back on.. but it still doesn't change 'edge' into 'EDGE'.

If it helps it is on v4.5.0.110

The phone and SMS work fine. Just no data.

I tried the sim on another blackberry and it worked fine so I know its not the sim. (I also have a 8900 which is working perfectly on EDGE)
    07-02-09 07:27 AM
    I had this same problem when i bought a new BB,

I have to visit my Carrier's (Digicel) BIS page

There i had to register my new phone's PIN and IMEI

Then I got the confirmation SMS that i was registered on the EGDE network

Hope this helps...
    07-02-09 08:59 AM
    EDGE means that your phone has detected the data network and is fully logged in ale to transfer and is able to transfer data packets.

edge means that your phone has detected the data network and is not logged into the data network and cannot make use of any data services.

This is a problem with your data-plan and needs to be sorted out by your carrier. Keep banging away at them until the sort this out and then demand a refund for time that it was on edge.
    07-02-09 10:57 AM
    The only thing about calling airtel is that it works if I put it into another bb (tried it on a 8700 and 8900).
    07-02-09 12:59 PM
    I had this same problem when i bought a new BB,

I have to visit my Carrier's (Digicel) BIS page

There i had to register my new phone's PIN and IMEI

Then I got the confirmation SMS that i was registered on the EGDE network

Hope this helps...
    Thanks... I have done that on airtel's site too.
    07-02-09 01:00 PM
    My friend has a 8320 on tmobile and she has "edge". tmobile said that is because she doesnt have the blackberry data plan on her phone, where if she did it would say "EDGE". Hopefully this helps.
    07-03-09 07:13 PM
    Just a thought here, please go to Options, Mobile Network and make sure that Data Services is set to On.
    07-04-09 02:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD