I've had this 9100 for about a week (since bell finally released it up here in Toronto) and there's already a lot of dust under the screen.

it's rarely seen my pocket as I'm always holding it, put it down on a table or in my car phone holder.

My 8130, I've had for about 3 years was in my pocket for most of it's life and never had any dust issues.

Is anyone else having this problem?
    Does anyone know if this warrants for a replacement or will it be something I'll have to fix on my own?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-15-10 01:06 PM
    I've had mine for almost 2 months, and I don't have any dust under my screen.

Call your customer service and tell them about it.
    06-15-10 01:56 PM
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.

06-15-10 02:04 PM
    So, I called up customer service for Bell and the guy told me to visit a Bell
    store regarding the dust.

I went to a Bell store and they told me that they will not exchange it for a
    new pearl (despite is being a couple of weeks old).

The girl there actually told me to open it up and clean it myself because dust
    inside the phone is not a warranty issue as the phone itself still works.

Is this right?
    06-22-10 10:54 PM
    Not sure about Bell's policies, but I had my 9530 replaced after 2 weeks by Verizon due to dust under the screen. Call CS again. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get someone willing to help. If you get shot down again mention that the in store rep told you to open it up and clean it yourself, which would void your warranty. This is a manufacturer defect IMO. Threatening to cancel your service works if all else fails
    06-23-10 08:48 AM
    based on some of the stories I hear it seems the support in ca is very different than the us, if anything happens over here a new device is in the mail, devices get replaced at the drop of a hat. you should have a trial period to use the phone, it ranges from several weeks to a month here in CA, maybe you could just unwind the deal and start over with a new device. sucks
    06-23-10 09:37 AM
    So, I called up customer service for Bell and the guy told me to visit a Bell
    store regarding the dust.

I went to a Bell store and they told me that they will not exchange it for a
    new pearl (despite is being a couple of weeks old).

The girl there actually told me to open it up and clean it myself because dust
    inside the phone is not a warranty issue as the phone itself still works.

Is this right?
    Wouldn't opening up the phone to clean the screen violate the warranty? That dipstick is clueless -- too bad you couldn't get her on record telling you to do that, then when you opened up the phone and trashed the LCD, you would be able to get a new phone because it would definitely be their problem.
    06-23-10 10:38 AM
    i've had my pearl 3G for about a week and its already getting dusty. it spends a lot of time in my pocket, but i've used plenty of other cells the same way and it never happened. anyone know how to lift or remove the screen on one of these?
    06-23-10 11:25 AM
    I would go to see the manager of the store and write down his/her name! Then
    call your Customer Support and let them know that the store employees are
    giving you advice that would cause you to void your warranty. There is no reason
    you should have to do a self repair on a new phone.
    06-23-10 12:47 PM
    Wow! Some employees are crazy! They definitely should not be telling you to open up your phone on your own... that will just void the warranty. I would try going back when a different employee is working lol.
    06-23-10 11:40 PM
    i've been looking around trying to find information on if this is a covered under
    warranty or not but can't seem to find _anything_ about dust being an issue on
    any official means.

can anyone shed some light on it?
    06-27-10 05:20 PM
    I just got the same problem and its three weeks i have this phone. Thank god my good friend owns a bell store. Hope he can help!
    06-29-10 07:39 AM
    My 9105 in the uk is really bad! Its less than 3 weeks old and the dust is immensly bad. The glue on the side of the plastic covering the screen has also come away and have the plastic is coming off, going to send it away for repair in a couple of days (anything over 7 days has to be repair not exchange hopefully they will fix this as i've never had anything like this with my bold, if they say this isn't covered by warranty then they can stick there phone and i'll move to the other fruit based rival! I've loved blackberrys for years and think they are fantastic but the build quality of the pearl vs the bold is almost as bad as the 8520!
    08-17-10 10:05 AM
    I've also got a 9105 on O2 (UK), I'm on my second now, the first had quite severe dust problems, but also I had issues the the handset freezing on receiving a new text message. O2 replaced it due to the freezing issue but claimed the couldn't see any dust, it was most visible when the backlight was off and direct sunlight was hitting the screen. My replacement has no dust issues (yet), but it has froze on me once. Its a shame really as I love the feel of the phone and otherwise the build quality seems fine.
    08-17-10 11:31 AM
    I have the 9105 in the UK on O2, i've had it for 1 week and not a speck of dust under the screen and it spends a lot of time in my pocket. I love my Blackberry !

08-18-10 04:38 PM
    Just took mine outside this morning and in the sun I could see my 9100 is falling victim to the dust-under-the-screen curse. I think it must be a design flaw just like the iPhone 3G/3Gs where almost all of them were susceptible to this.
    08-22-10 01:42 PM
    Yup, same problem here..
    Any risk-free solution so far?
    09-14-10 10:12 PM
    I found a ton of dust had gotten under my screen after just a few days use. Now I use a screen protector that I hung a little lower then I should have so the bottum of it hangs over the open space between the keypad and screen.. also I purchased a holster that hangs from my belt so I dont need to put it in my pocket. this works great.. wish I figured that out BEFORE I got dust in there
    09-23-10 01:40 AM
    Yeah, that's what I do intill now. Just wondering how could this happens. RIM and its QC should do more.

09-23-10 01:53 AM
    That sucks. I was thinking about getting my wife that phone but dust under the screen is something that I can't tolerate. I have only had that issue with the HTC Hero and then it was a disaster. I had to take my phone in numerous times to have it cleaned until finally I told them to just give me a new device because I couldn't take it in every time there was dust underneath screen. I would have been to the store every weekend. I wish that phone manufacturers would get on top of this issue because it is really annoying.

09-24-10 09:17 PM
    I have had mine for almost 2 months and there is alot of dust under my screen. I thought maybe it was something I did. I may have to call Bell and see what they can do for me.
    09-25-10 07:29 AM
    This is concerning...anyone NOT having an issue with dust under the screen?
    09-25-10 11:07 AM
    I have a few friends not having any issues with dust under the screen, but most of us do.
    Too bad I wasn't got the phone from my local operator, can't claim anything right now.
    09-26-10 07:02 AM
    I use an original leather pouch, and 'only' have 3 dust spots under my screen.
    09-26-10 01:55 PM
    I got one for my daughter recently and within a few weeks it had dust as well and then the bottom right hand side of the screen had started to lift. It has just been sent of for repairs.

10-02-10 05:10 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD