This BB is driving me NUTZ!!!! I'm brand new to the BB world. Until recently, I have always had a Windows Mobile based Smartphone. I have been trying for days to download a Tetris game for my Pearl 8100 but everytime I get an error message about it being an unsupported file type. What type of files are supported for downloads with my Blackberry? Is there an Application Unlock download hiding out there somewhere that can be downloaded for my Pearl to help it "broaden it's horizons" on the file types it will accept? Also, when trying to add music to my Media Manager, I see the file size limit is 2.68mb (or something close). Is there a way to change or remove this limitation? Any other helpful tips I could be given would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!!
    12-31-07 01:40 AM
    This BB is driving me NUTZ!!!! I'm brand new to the BB world. Until recently, I have always had a Windows Mobile based Smartphone. I have been trying for days to download a Tetris game for my Pearl 8100 but everytime I get an error message about it being an unsupported file type. What type of files are supported for downloads with my Blackberry? Is there an Application Unlock download hiding out there somewhere that can be downloaded for my Pearl to help it "broaden it's horizons" on the file types it will accept? Also, when trying to add music to my Media Manager, I see the file size limit is 2.68mb (or something close). Is there a way to change or remove this limitation? Any other helpful tips I could be given would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!!!!
    First, and I don't want to sound condescending or anything, but do you have a microSD card installed? because the onboard memory of the Pearl is relatively small, so you may not have the room to add any files without one. A 2gb card is pretty cheap, and with the proper updates to the bb os, the microsdhc cards should work with your Pearl. Sandisk is selling an 8gb microsdhc card on their site right now.

If you do have a card, you have to make sure you are telling the Media Manager to put the files into your card, which is treated like it was another folder location on your device. It should be present when you link up your device with the desktop manager. Depending on what version of the desktop software you are running (the 4.3 version uses Roxio for media management now) you have to turn the mass storage device setting on when linking your device to your desktop in order for the Roxio app to see your storage on the card. [When you hook up the USB cable, the BB will show a screen that asks if you want to turn on Mass Storage Mode, if you want to put files onto your microSD card, select yes on the BB and continue, you can also use the windows explorer to transfer files directly from your desktop without using any app, but the app helps keep things copacetic so that the media type is readable by the device, great for video clips, but that's just my opinion]

Apps are Java based as far as I can see, and the OS is proprietary so you pretty much have to get the app for the BB OS, not just any old app will do. Someone with more knowledge can comment on that. Also make sure the app is compatible with your specific BB. Not all BB apps are created equal apparently.

Hope that helps
    Last edited by jyurick; 12-31-07 at 05:41 AM.
    12-31-07 05:36 AM
    that was another question I had, was how big of a memory card is the Pearl compatible with. I had planned on using the 2gb micro I had for my Dash, with my Pearl. But, it's currently M.I.A. so I've been memory card shopping. The Pearl is compatible with a card as big as 8gb? That's huge!!!
    12-31-07 12:44 PM
    the pearl accepts 2gb cards (always), 4gb (from 4.2.1 on) and is supposed to handle 8gb cards with 4.3

Stefan
    01-01-08 06:15 PM
    thanks Sayuuk for the correction. I believe I saw someone posting that they were using the 6gb card, but that may have been for the curve. Can you tell what I'm looking to upgrade to?
    01-02-08 06:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD