While researching the answer to the "disappearing call log" problem I found a thread that explained how to free up space on your BB. This was great! I then read a few posts recommending that you back up your BB on Desktop Manager before deleting languages etc. (just in case). I did that. Great!

I then read a recommendation that said make sure you have your BB OS downloaded on to your PC.

How do I accomplish this?
    Where do I find the OS 4.3 download for PC?
    What is the benefit of having it on PC?

I hope these are not dumb questions!!

THANKS!
    12-02-07 09:35 AM
    I'm pretty sure if you go to Verizon's site you can go through the pages for your device and find the software. There you should be able to download the OS to your PC.
    12-02-07 12:56 PM
    Thanks, it's downloading now! I'm still not sure why I need it on my PC, but i'll be ready when I find out.
    12-02-07 01:48 PM
    In order for Desktop Manager to interact with your BlackBerry, it has to have access to the right system files specific to your device. When you download the device-specific OS/application package to your PC, you need to install it. Then, when you run DM, it will look for the device package to figure out what kind of BlackBerry it is talking to. Then you can back up, wipe, reload, and install apps on your handheld to your heart's content.

In your Add/Remove Programs section of Windows (XP), you should have 2 BlackBerry entries; one for Desktop Manager, and one for something like "BlackBerry 8130."
    12-02-07 02:07 PM
    Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for. Prior to downloading the software I hooked up my BB and did a backup through desktop manager. It was saved to a file. Should I delete that file? And run the backup again with the OS installed on My PC?
    12-02-07 03:01 PM
    I'm confused!? I downloaded Blackberry OS 4.3 from VerizonWireless.com. It appears to be the same software that is on the disk that came with my 8130. I was expecting a secondary program that worked with the Desktop Manager software. I think it is the same software, not anything additional. Also, only one Blackberry related program exists on my XP Control Panel list. It this correct or am I missing something??
    12-02-07 07:23 PM
    I'm still looking for help on this. I'm now trying to find out how to open email attachments. I read a thread telling me to check a box in the desktop software for attachments. I do not have any such box to check. When I go to the add or remove applications section of desktop manager all that is listed is the applications that I downloaded to my 8130. None of the default applications are on the list.
    So, am I missing software, or just not doing something correctly??

Thanks in advance.
    12-06-07 01:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD