I have a new 8220 (took back the one I got yesterday because the WiFi didn't work -- this one is fine).

I cannot get YouTube videos to play. I just says "Loading..." forever.

Has anyone else been able to view YouTube videos? Is there something I need to set up?

I tried it through WiFi and also through EDGE; neither works.

Thanks,
    Daryl
    10-14-08 11:48 PM
    While on your browser go to Options>Browser Configuration. Make sure everything is checked and Emulation Mode: Blackberry, also Show Images: On WML and HTML images

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-14-08 11:58 PM
    yeah, yootoob works for me. Prior to going to the video, I have been prompted to switch to WAP mode. This works, the other doesn't for me.

10-15-08 01:07 PM
    Works for me. I get the same prompt as above about wap mode.

10-15-08 01:15 PM
    I still can't get YouTube videos to play. A few minutes ago my 8220 suddenly rebooted itself as I was trying to load one.

I'm trying it again right now, and the green "Loading..." message is still up in the upper right corner.

I am using the "Hotspot Browser", right?
    How long does it take you to load one? Several minutes or a few seconds?
    Does it show progress as it loads, and can you start playing it before it completely loads?

I don't see any action on the progress bar.
    10-15-08 10:49 PM
    I may have found the problem.

If I go into Settings, Options, Advanced Options, Browser,
    the Default WAP Browser is set as T-Mobile, and it doesn't offer any other options.

Could this be the problem? Can someone else check their settings and see if theirs is set the same?

Thanks,
    Daryl
    10-16-08 01:01 PM
    i have

default browser: internet browser
    default MDS browser: internet browser
    default WAP browser: t-mobile

i havent touched any settings in here so these are the defaults from the factory.
    10-16-08 02:25 PM
    Thanks, that's how mine is set too. I still can't view YouTube videos.

I guess I'll have to take it back to TMobile and see if they can figure out what's wrong. Maybe it's a defective phone...?
    10-16-08 07:25 PM
    I took my phone back to TMO today, and they were able to get it to play YouTube videos through EDGE.

I have WiFi in my house, and it still won't play through that, but if I turn off the WiFi they will play through EDGE.

So maybe I need to open ports or something on my router.

If I come up with a solution I will post it here, though it seems that I'm about the only one having this problem.
    10-17-08 06:21 PM
    I updated the firmware on my Linksys WRT54G router to the latest version, and now YouTube videos play fine on my phone.

Yay!
    10-17-08 07:53 PM
    I updated the firmware on my Linksys WRT54G router to the latest version, and now YouTube videos play fine on my phone.

Yay!
    I may have to do that as well on my router. Youtube works on my campus but not at home with wifi. I hope my ancient router has some way to upgrade
    10-20-08 11:26 AM
    Great to see you got that issue worked out. I've only watched a few videos on my phone as I don't want to eat up the bandwidth even with unlimited (I believe there is still a limit).
    10-20-08 02:09 PM
    I read elsewhere in the Crackberry forums (I don't have a link right now) that updating the firmware in their wireless router helped others with various connection issues, including YouTube videos.

There were other suggestions too, but this seems to be the main one that helped.
    10-20-08 07:34 PM
    uh I have the blackberry 8830 and I can't play youtube videos. Sum1 said if u have a 4.3 (whatever that means) u can play youtube videos. They said I have that on my fone but did not tell me how to watch youtube videos .

Sum1 help plz!!!

10-20-08 09:14 PM
    ok so ive finally got my pearl 8220 and ive gotten youtube to work on my browser but i have a question. whenever i go to use the youtube through wifi it tells me that m.youtube is an intensive website and i should get a plan with my service provider but i still go ahead and watch the videos, does that mean tmobile is going to charge me although im watching youtube videos through wifi?? any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
    10-21-08 03:50 PM
    If you got the BlackBerry service, you have unlimited data over either WiFi or EDGE.

If you didn't get the BB service, over WiFi there will still not be any charges. But be sure it's really using WiFi or you will be very unpleasantly surprised when the bill comes.
    10-21-08 08:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD