I'm coming to this phone from multiple Palm Treos. I like the features and size of this phone, but it is really starting to feel like a phone meant for viewing things, instead of actually getting work done. Am I wrong? I hope so. Please help me to get over the strange text entry on this thing. Most of the time, it can't figure out what I'm trying to say, and so I have to back over it multiple times. I changed it so that each time I press a key, it goes to a different letter, but now I feel like I'm using a phone from the 90's, and I'm trying to enter someones info into some little internal phone book program.

I really hope this thing will somehow grow on me. Does it get better? Doesn't seem there should be a huge learning curve on simply entering text, or a device suddenly goes from making your life easier, to being a pain in the neck.
    02-12-08 03:26 PM
    SureType certainly has it's fans as well as it's detractors. I got used to SureType, and I think I type better than I did on a Treo or even the BB 8830. But I know a lot of people who just never get used to SureType. You do have to actually think differently about how you type on your phone, but I've found text entry to be a breeze now and could never imagine going back to a full qwerty keyboard, at least the ones I've used.
    02-12-08 04:12 PM
    I think there is another thread in this particular sub-forum helping one to adjust to SureType. It is probably a few pages deep.
    The main suggestion is to look at the keyboard and your thumbs versus the screen and trying to keep the word you are typing happy.
    Just go into the memo pad and practice.
    You will get as fast or faster with the suretype as you were with the Treo. It just takes awhile.
    02-12-08 05:18 PM
    I think there is another thread in this particular sub-forum helping one to adjust to SureType. It is probably a few pages deep.
    The main suggestion is to look at the keyboard and your thumbs versus the screen and trying to keep the word you are typing happy.
    Just go into the memo pad and practice.
    You will get as fast or faster with the suretype as you were with the Treo. It just takes awhile.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but how do you just look at the keyboard and your thumbs without it actually going forward with a word that is totally and completely wrong? Doesn't make sense to go back and re-read and edit every single word you've written after the fact. Am I missing something?
    02-12-08 05:41 PM
    but how do you just look at the keyboard and your thumbs without it actually going forward with a word that is totally and completely wrong?
    Most often the word won't be wrong, only looks wrong in the early stages of typing it, as you type more of the word SureType usually gets it right. That is why its best not to look, it will just frustrate you...just keep typing. Words that it does not initially recognize will be learned after you type them once & hit enter.. next instance of that word will be remembered and will most always be correct.
    02-12-08 05:53 PM
    i hardly ever have to go back and edit any words now. i've had mine since december. i don't look at the screen when typing either. it has learned what words i use most. i love the fact that some 10 letter words can be completed in 4. makes things easier. you will get used to it. some people it takes longer. once you learn to trust it, things should go more smoothly. good luck
    02-12-08 05:57 PM
    This is my first BB so I don't know anything differently, but I'm not finding it difficult to get accustomed to the SureType keyboard. I was told that it would take about 2 weeks to get used to it. Also, it was suggested that I cover the screen with a piece of paper and just type. Looking at the screen can actually slow you down.
    02-12-08 06:09 PM
    i hardly ever have to go back and edit any words now. i've had mine since december. i don't look at the screen when typing either. it has learned what words i use most. i love the fact that some 10 letter words can be completed in 4. makes things easier. you will get used to it. some people it takes longer. once you learn to trust it, things should go more smoothly. good luck
    This just seems so dangerous to me. I own a business and have employees working for me. What if I reply to one of their emails, and instead of it saying "fumble around", for example- it says "fu#@ around", and I don't catch it? Now, I've got an employee that thinks I just told them to go F#@ themselves. OK, so you'll say it doesn't have swear words in the dictionary, but there are other words that aren't swear words that it could place in there that could have a very bad meaning. So, it basically means that I have to go back and re-read every word I type before hitting send. Is this really productive?
    02-12-08 06:10 PM
    While your example is entertaining... I'll only suggest you just use it a while & give it little time before you condemn it. I think you may be impressed by its accuracy.
    02-12-08 06:17 PM
    it took me about 2 days to get used to the suretype. i was as slow as a snail whilst getting used to the way the keyboard is set out after years of using regular phones and qwerty keyboards. now i find that with suretype i am typing things faster than i ever did on any other phone i have had in the past.

it does take some getting used to but what people are saying on here, trusting in what you are typing is correct, more often than not the phone will pick up the word you are trying to type and if it doesnt then it should give you a pull down list of words with the letters you entered. sometimes i have had to actually create the word in the custom dictionary to be able for that word to pull through whilst i am texting but that only happens once every blue moon.

example of this phones excellent dictionary: when i first got my phone, i sent a txt to my wife who has a name that i believe no one else has ever!! the phone picked up her name as i was typing it straight away...to say i was amazed was an understatement.

just give it a try and i am sure you will love if given a chance...it makes regular qwerty keyboards seem clunky
    02-12-08 07:10 PM
    It probably picked up your wife's name because a default setting is for it to learn off of your address book.
    I agree with a couple of posts up about how it will allow you to complete a 10 letter word in about 4 key presses. If it is reading and writing the correct word you are wanting you just press the enter button (arrow button) and it will finish it for you. A regular QWERTY fun does not do this.
    Granted, if and when I am able I will probably migrate to a Curve - but at that point I will probably miss SureType.
    02-12-08 07:21 PM
    I don't find much wrong with ST@all. I'll tell you one thing. With SureType, you definitely have to know how to spell.

JE
    02-12-08 10:37 PM
    I second that from SPCS Guy. If you're not a good speller, SureType will be **** on earth for you.

Even if you can't spell, just go into your custom dictionary and input words that you spell YOUR way... when they're in there, they will show up when you do any form of text input!

Good luck!
    Steve
    02-13-08 12:11 AM
    I'm actually starting to feel better about the text entry. I tried the trick of just typing and letting it do it's thing, and glance up occasionally to check on it- and surprisingly, it works quite well. Time will tell, but I'm a lot happier than I initially was.

Thanks for the tips.
    02-13-08 12:22 AM
    FYI... If you do type some words wrong they sometimes will get entered into your custom dictionary. So a good practice is to go into the custom dictionary and clear it of erroneous words. You can also add words there.
    Like the swear words for that special employee that really needs to be told f!@& off or for a juice text to that special someone!
    02-13-08 05:35 AM
    ...as you type more of the word SureType usually gets it right. That is why its best not to look, it will just frustrate you...just keep typing.
    I'm actually starting to feel better about the text entry. I tried the trick of just typing and letting it do it's thing, and glance up occasionally to check on it- and surprisingly, it works quite well. Time will tell, but I'm a lot happier than I initially was.
    Is this where I should say "Told ya so!"? Glad you're feeling more comfortable MisterB.
    02-13-08 07:13 AM
    my problem is with words like.... get and hey. or see and are. those have the same keys. this can really make me look like and dumb ***.

how does this sound...

i are you're going to the game tonight.
    when it should have been...
    i see you're going to the game tonight.

or

the buddy, see you're sisters going to be there tonight.
    when it should have been...
    hey buddy, are you're sisters going to be there tonight.

i am trying to think positive. i cant wait for the curve. i have a few weeks left in my 30 days deal. i am thinking about going to the 8830. i just dont want to go that BIG. plus i will miss my camara.

Thanks, Cody
    02-13-08 07:25 AM
    wow i just checked my custom dictionary. i have all kinds of funcky words in there. why?

yhanks should have been thanks
    qasn't should have been wasn't
    ygia should have bee this
    helo should have been help
    ib should have been in
    and many more

how come these words are in there? i dont use multitap.

Thanks, cody
    Last edited by CodyBB; 02-13-08 at 07:55 AM.
    02-13-08 07:48 AM
    my problem is with words like.... get and hey. or see and are. those have the same keys. this can really make me look like and dumb ***.
    Yeah, those two sets of words usually do confuse SureType since they are formed from the exact keystrokes, so you just have to keep tabs on those as you use them.

wow i just checked my custom dictionary. i have all kinds of funcky words in there. why?

yhanks should have been thanks
    qasn't should have been wasn't
    ygia should have bee this

come come these words are in there? i dont use multitap.

Thanks, cody
    Words are auto entered into the custom dictionary when enter is hit after they are typed. You may have done this inadvertently for those words.
    02-13-08 08:25 AM
    It took me little while to get used to SureType but I love it now. Boy, was I slow at it to start with! Lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-08 08:52 AM
    Yeah, those two sets of words usually do confuse SureType since they are formed from the exact keystrokes, so you just have to keep tabs on those as you use them.

Words are auto entered into the custom dictionary when enter is hit after they are typed. You may have done this inadvertently for those words.
    i never hit enter after typing a word. hmmmm.
    02-15-08 08:08 AM
    i was so perplexed when i started using my blackberry to text.
    but literally in just a couple days i've grown to like it alot. its a bit more accurate than my old T9 on my sanyo. now all i have to do is get used to the key placement. but for simple things i'm doing it with one hand, and not having to look at the keyboard as i do it.
    02-15-08 01:00 PM
    i never hit enter after typing a word. hmmmm.
    Clicking on the pearl trackball also adds the words to your custom dictionary. You really have to check that dictionary often to make sure that it's not accumulating gibberish.

After awhile you realize the you need to check the screen after typing words like "see" and "are". It has some idea which word is more likely to come next in the sentence. After a month, the thing I'm not quite used to is that some words have triple letters like "there" where the last three letters all use the same key. The mistakes I make usually involve leaving out the second or third letter on the same key.

Overall, I'm very happy with the SureType. The first couple of days was kind of hunt-and-peck. I found the keyboard almost impossible to use, but now I'm very comfortable with it and I'm sure I will improve more with time.
    02-15-08 08:58 PM
    I agree with Member No 1 to go in and edit or delete any erroneous words that get put in the custom dictionary. I had a pearl 680 before getting my BB and I have found once I got used to suretype I like it much better than the palm. With the 680 there wasn't (or at least I couldn't ever find it in the 8 months i had it) a spell checker so I always contemplated on what i was typing was right. with the BB I know it is correct and now that I am used to it I go faster because it will pick up a word I type and finish it for me. The only thing I don't like is type "see" and "are" it never seems to put the right one in when needed. LOL
    02-18-08 11:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD