There are references to the "holster" in both the PDF manual that comes on the CD, and when you edit profiles.

I'm assuming that they haven't completely updated the manual, and that "In holster" means with the flip closed, and "Out of holster" means with the flip open.

Does that seem right?
    10-16-08 12:44 PM
    There are references to the "holster" in both the PDF manual that comes on the CD, and when you edit profiles.

I'm assuming that they haven't completely updated the manual, and that "In holster" means with the flip closed, and "Out of holster" means with the flip open.

Does that seem right?
    I think it's a mis-print. No need to have this with a Flip phone.
    10-16-08 12:50 PM
    Holster mode predates the 8220. The BlackBerry has a magnetic switch that is activated by a magnet in a special BlackBerry holster. This puts the phone to sleep whilst allowing calls and SMSs to be received. This technique saves loads of battery life but requires specific ringtone and loudness profiles.
    10-16-08 12:50 PM
    The Holster is the pouch/carry case for the blackberry. It does not refer to the phone being closed.

See, BB have the ability to detect if the phone is inside the pouch/case or not. This way, you can configure it to ring and act a certain way depending on if it's out of the case or not.

Example: I have my phone set so it vibrates for all calls, text, and emails when it's IN THE POUCH. When my phone is out of the pouch I have the phone ring. This is because I know, for me, if the BB is in the pouch it's on my waist and I don't need it to ring. I know if the BB is out of the pouch it's not on my waist and I need it to ring for me to know the call is coming in.

It's a VERY NICE feature from BB.
    10-16-08 01:19 PM
    I just purchased a OEM BB holster (originally for the Pearl) and the Flip fits in the holster perfectly. The headphone jack, volume controls and the mute button are not hindered. Seems that the magnet does nothing.
    Last edited by BlackBerryBob; 10-16-08 at 05:11 PM.
    10-16-08 05:06 PM
    The "out of holster" still refers to the device being out of a holster. If you use a holster with a magnetic switch you should be able to have different notification behaviour. The Flip simply adds the "closed" ability, but the Profiles app doesn't allow you to change behaviour when closed (it would be pretty pointless, no?).

However, the 4.6 OS does expose the "closed" state to developers so hopefully we will see some apps that do some interesting things with it.
    10-16-08 06:03 PM
    It's not just in the manual -- It shows up in Profiles too:

Profiles, Advanced, Normal, Messages -- there are two sections on this screen "Out of Holster" and "In Holster".

Which section actually applies to the 8220? Any ideas?
    10-16-08 07:33 PM
    Both. I haven't holstered my device to confirm that the 8220 is "holsterable", but I believe it should be.
    10-16-08 11:04 PM
    It's not just in the manual -- It shows up in Profiles too:

Profiles, Advanced, Normal, Messages -- there are two sections on this screen "Out of Holster" and "In Holster".

Which section actually applies to the 8220? Any ideas?
    "Out of Holster" means the phone is NOT IN THE CARRYING case.

"In Holster means the phone IS IN THE CARRYING case.

Keep in mind for the feature to work you need a case that is designed to work with BB's holster feature. It has to have a certain magnet placement or something.
    10-17-08 07:23 AM
    "Out of Holster" means the phone is NOT IN THE CARRYING case.

"In Holster means the phone IS IN THE CARRYING case.

Keep in mind for the feature to work you need a case that is designed to work with BB's holster feature. It has to have a certain magnet placement or something.
    EXACTLY RIGHT! Just like the quote above saying you can your profiles to make them "in holster" specific and "out of holster" specific. After finding out that my Pearl Flip fits in my 8100 Pearl's holster pouch I went back to using that with the magnet so the phone locks and vibrates (emails, texts, mms, calls, etc) when in holster and rings when out of holster.
    10-17-08 08:13 AM
    Cool! I keep learning more and more about this phone, and there is still a lot more to learn, I'm sure!

It has far exceeded my expectations.
    10-17-08 12:41 PM
    Just to make it clear, the Flippin phone DOES react to an external magnet, same as the rest of the recent berrys. Prove it to yourself; just pass a magnet across the lower part of the keyboard slowly, and the phone should go into sleep mode then wake againas the magnet moves away from the sensor.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-08 04:11 PM
    where is the magnet located in the pouch? chances are, its not near the magnet that senses the flip is closed...
    10-17-08 04:19 PM
    Just to make it clear, the Flippin phone DOES react to an external magnet, same as the rest of the recent berrys. Prove it to yourself; just pass a magnet across the lower part of the keyboard slowly, and the phone should go into sleep mode then wake againas the magnet moves away from the sensor.

This seems to be incorrect. I passed a magnet over all parts of the phone, both open and closed, and it had no effect on the phone. I'm not claiming to know that for a fact the 8220 doesn't have a magnet sensor, but I can't find one. (I've used a pretty powerful magnet for this test.)

For the record, I want this phone to have a sensor.
    10-27-08 11:57 PM
    any updates to this location?
    02-02-09 05:49 PM
    The magnet does nothing to my Flip.
    02-02-09 05:52 PM
    Holster mode predates the 8220. The BlackBerry has a magnetic switch that is activated by a magnet in a special BlackBerry holster. This puts the phone to sleep whilst allowing calls and SMSs to be received. This technique saves loads of battery life but requires specific ringtone and loudness profiles.
    So, are you saying that the Flip *does* or *does not* support Holster Mode?
    02-02-09 06:20 PM
    EDIT: brain fart #3...I'm outta here
    Last edited by BlackBerryBob; 02-02-09 at 06:27 PM.
    02-02-09 06:21 PM
    I actually tried this for a holster for the 8120, and I placed my 8220 in facing frontwards and backwards, and it did NOT put in into sleep mode.

Therefore, I suspect that this phone does not support Holster Mode.
    02-02-09 06:23 PM
    ..(I've used a pretty powerful magnet for this test.)...
    ^1
    magnet would even stick(securely ) on some parts.
    02-02-09 11:20 PM
    This seems to be incorrect. I passed a magnet over all parts of the phone, both open and closed, and it had no effect on the phone. I'm not claiming to know that for a fact the 8220 doesn't have a magnet sensor, but I can't find one. (I've used a pretty powerful magnet for this test.)

For the record, I want this phone to have a sensor.
    Believe me I am no BB know it all but this thread is a mess, not including Hankster.

The Flip reacts exactly the same as my Curve when used in a BB case. I have never passed a magnet over my Flip but I do have the OEM case with the magnetic flap and the Flip can be set to do different things IN the holster and OUT of the holster, just like other BB's. Vibrate IN, tone out. Vibrate and tone in, nothing out. Whatever you want, for all the different profiles, including all the different messaging options.

I don't know why so many people are posting otherwise when it is obvious to me that they haven't tried it with a OEM BB MAGNETIC case. Phoneboy101 I had to quote someone nothing personal.

If you have a OEM magnetic case set your "phone" in "normal" profile to vibrate only IN HOLSTER and to vibrate and tone OUT OF HOLSTER. Go to phonemyphone.com and call yourself. It works! I always have the screen toward my body as the case covers it in its entirety this way, but I just tried it reversed and it works that way too!

One other very obvious action of the Flip when taken out of the holster is that the backlight comes on without the need of a button push, just like the Curve I own. I guess some think the light is always on, even while it is inside the holster. I use this all the time just to TELL the time. If it is out of the holster, as in a jacket pocket, you must push ANY button on the Flip to light it up and see the time, email notifications, etc.

Sorry if this came off as a rant. I just wanted to correct the misinformation. I really enjoy my Flip. Enjoy yours too.
    Last edited by galavanter; 02-03-09 at 01:43 PM.
    02-03-09 01:32 PM
    I can add my experience to the discussion. The 8220 with the proper BB OEM case for the 8220 does support in holster and out of holster profiles. I just bought the case this past weekend and it works.
    02-03-09 04:48 PM
    If you have a OEM magnetic case set your "phone" in "normal" profile to vibrate only IN HOLSTER and to vibrate and tone OUT OF HOLSTER. Go to phonemyphone.com and call yourself. It works! I always have the screen toward my body as the case covers it in its entirety this way, but I just tried it reversed and it works that way too!
    I just tried this and it works.
    02-03-09 06:21 PM
    The magnet does nothing to my Flip.
    There is a sensor in the Flip and it responds to the OEM 8220 leather holster. Remove your flip from the holster. Place it on top of the holster so the battery cover is against the closed magnetic clasp. Slide the phone slowly down as if it were sliding into the holster.

When I do this, my flip goes on standby and the outer screen goes blank. Slide it up, outer screen comes alive.

02-03-09 06:51 PM
    There is a sensor in the Flip and it responds to the OEM 8220 leather holster. Remove your flip from the holster. Place it on top of the holster so the battery cover is against the closed magnetic clasp. Slide the phone slowly down as if it were sliding into the holster.

When I do this, my flip goes on standby and the outer screen goes blank. Slide it up, outer screen comes alive.

where is the sensor on the phone.. thanks
    02-04-09 02:29 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD