My 30 day return period is about to expire and it is so frustrating to all of a sudden start losing my sms and call log history. I am considering taking this back and getting a phone that will work!
    12-28-07 09:16 AM
    Do you have a lot of ringtones, themes, pics, wallpapers, Apps. etc. on your BB that you downloaded. If so this is what is causing your issues. If so delete the ones you do not uses or get a media card for your PICS, Music, Wallpapers. You are losing your logs because chances are you do not have sufficient memory on your device.
    12-28-07 09:34 AM
    The only ringtones, themes and wallpaper that are one the phone are what came with it. I have a memory card to store pictures and music. When I go into status to check space it has 12182780 bytes free. I did delete the video sample and cleared history and cache. Media storage is set to 12mb however again have the memory card. I have had the phone since 12/01 and had no problems until last week when it wiped out everything.
    12-28-07 10:04 AM
    Make sure you are hitting menu close to completely exit programs and not just the back or end key.

If you just hit back or end the program is still running and using memory.

Also do a hard reset every day, those couple of tips have worked for me.
    12-28-07 11:57 AM
    Hard reset= taking battery out?

Thanks!
    12-28-07 01:36 PM
    I believe there is an option menu for the length of time ur sms messages are kept, Im too lazy to look it up right now, but try under the sms menu> then option and that should take u there
    12-28-07 01:38 PM
    I have them set to forever. According to Sprint, this is a known software issue that will not be corrected until the next software update release. Just hoping that I can do something in the meantime that will allow me to keep messages on there without auto deleting. Thanks though
    12-28-07 02:19 PM
    Well you definitely need to change it from keeping them forever. Thats not any way to manage memory...

Here's anther tip recently passed on to me from a fellow CB user...

Set memory clean in security options to enable. That will help.

Also, from home screen hold alt then press lglg...this will take you to the logs screen. Clear those from the option button regularly.

Just a few tips!
    01-02-08 02:49 AM
    What does this "memory clean" option do?

Thanks,
    Joe
    01-02-08 03:41 PM
    Folks, memory clean doesn't free up memory. It only wipes the memory that has been released by applications when applications are done with it so that nobody can go back and somehow retrieve it. It's a security app, not a memory free-er up-er.
    01-02-08 04:05 PM
    My 30 day return period is about to expire and it is so frustrating to all of a sudden start losing my sms and call log history. I am considering taking this back and getting a phone that will work!
    I am having the same problem with my Pearl. I did some research and it looks like this is a common problem with certain handsets, and it can be fixed once and for all by reloading the operating system software. This is kind of a pain, but Sprint-Nextel Blackberry support can walk you through it. Their direct number is 877-345-7895.

I am having the same problem, along with disappearing icons. The missed SMS messages have caused my lots of social problems in the last few days, so I feel your pain. I am reloading the operating system tonight so I will let you know if it doesn't work.
    01-02-08 04:55 PM
    Reloading the Operating System will not completely fix your low memory problem. It will free up some prime real estate in your memory for a while, but if you don't reboot (about weekly) and keep your memory fresh, you will again begin to lose your SMS and call logs.

It is a plain and simple bug in the OS since about v. 4.2.1 was released. BUT, it is a manageable bug, as long as you follow the recommended reboots, etc.
    01-02-08 05:08 PM
    The reason for the memory loss on the 8130, is cuz they found a minor (which is what i was told) memory glitch in the phone, so call logs and messages may be deleted w out prompt. it was suggested to delete some apps that arent being used, along w the browsing history, and also to do a hard reboot on the phone every couple of days (leave the phone on, take the battery out for 10 seconds, put it back in and wait for the phone to load..may take several mins)
    01-06-08 01:29 PM
    Folks, here's the real deal - it is only the Pearl OS issue, here is my post from 2 other threads today:

*lewf - Here is a new wrinkle to the arbitrary deleted files problem...NOT memory BUT battery!!!RIM is working on a cure...Anytime that your battery drops below 50% charge the OS can delete files without rhyme or reason!Until RIM can provide update OS you MUST keep your battery charge up there. Use options, status to monitor.Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-08 12:10 AM
    Nah I have the 8830 also and have the memory problems. I have updated my 8130 with the 4 O.S. updates that came out, following John Clarks recomendations for memory, I have not had any major problems with memory. I have just over 25 MB's free.
    01-07-08 01:01 AM
    Download and install softreset. Much easier than doing a battery pull all the time. I found that my memory issues have gotten better since doings a reset of the OS. Its not perfect but I only do a reset once a week and I've gotten used to it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-08 10:37 AM
    I reboot mine periodically to avoid this issue - every couple of days seems to do it. There's a program called SoftReset that allows you to reboot without taking out the battery. Also, delete the video that comes loaded on the device to get back over 1MB of space.
    01-07-08 12:19 PM
    And the sample pictures...

How to delete the pictures.
    Help Deleting Sample Pictures from BB 8320
    01-07-08 12:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD