How does it know to turn up the screen brightness when I move from shadows to bright sunlight? Its pretty annoying sometimes, especially since i have that set to OFF (automatically dim backlight)

My only solution is to just keep it at 100!
    11-25-07 11:57 PM
    Any ideas?
    11-26-07 06:35 PM
    there is a sensor on the phone just to the right of the earpiece hole. its a vertical slot about 1/4"

when the 8130 sense bright light it seems to "gain up" which is kind of the opposite of the "auto dim" i had a 8100 and know how the autodim used to work.

use a small flashlight and shine it into the little sensor in a dark area and you see the "gain up".

as far as i can see, there is no way to stop this

remember it's NOT auto-dim, it's auto bright that you're seeing
    12-03-07 12:05 AM
    Oh ok, well thank you very much for your reply!

My solution is to either have it all the way at 100 or 10

Sometimes it's annoying to have it switch back and forth..
    12-03-07 12:19 AM
    If you don't want it to auto dim, you go into Options, Screen/Keyboard and then turn Automatically Dim Backlight to OFF. This will cause the screen to run at the brightness setting you've selected regardless of ambient light, and does not affect the backlight timeout. The Keys will still respond to changes in light, but the screen will not.
    12-03-07 05:58 AM
    If you don't want it to auto dim, you go into Options, Screen/Keyboard and then turn Automatically Dim Backlight to OFF. This will cause the screen to run at the brightness setting you've selected regardless of ambient light, and does not affect the backlight timeout. The Keys will still respond to changes in light, but the screen will not.
    See that makes sense, and I tried that, but it still dims! I've just learned to live with it
    12-03-07 12:12 PM
    Is there any way to turn off the keypad sensor?? Most of the time it works but sometimes it drives me nuts!
    12-20-07 12:08 AM
    Is there any way to turn off the keypad sensor??
    No.. Why would you not want the keypad to light under dark conditions?
    12-20-07 09:24 AM
    The reason you want the keypad OFF during darkness is when reading (I read a lot of novels with Mobireader) or web browsing.

In a dark room the keypad light and trackball are VERY bright and annoying.
    01-05-08 03:34 PM
    Thanks for the advice. For proof that it was not indeed displaying at 100% I changed the setting to auto dim off and brightness at 10% while in the dark. Then acted as if was going to change the setting to 100% brightness and did indeed see an increase in brightness, and I ultimately left at 10% to conserve battery power. This was driving me insane and your post helped.

Thanks!
    09-11-08 05:38 AM
    See that makes sense, and I tried that, but it still dims! I've just learned to live with it
    Same thing here, with OS 4.3 or 4.5. I actually like it though. Saves battery life.
    09-11-08 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD