Hi,

I'm trying to deploy JUST the usb driver for charging the blackberry pearl to around 300 people.

I have dropped the two files rimusb.sys, rimusbnt.inf into the sys32 folder but when the blackberry is connected it is detected as a USB storage device. I can get around this by going into Device Manager and browsing to the rimusbnt.inf file, and installing it that way, but this method is not practical for 300 users.

I have also tried right clicking the inf file and selecting install.

And I have tried the following command <c:\windows\system32\rundll32 syssetup,SetupInfObjectInstallAction DefaultInstall 128 .\rimusbnt.inf>

I believe there may be some sort of issue with the driver being unsigned?

Has anyone come across a way of deploying this driver??

cheers
    10-04-07 10:33 AM
    That's a good question. I hope a solution is posted - would be useful for my work place too
    10-04-07 03:39 PM
    Ok, finally found the solution on another site - there's an MSI you can install that is downloaded from the blackberry site that installs just the drivers. It's not the easiest thing to find!

Yes -- there's a separate download you can get from BB that is *only* the underlying "Device Manager", which is basically the USB driver that controls the current flow (100mA -> 500mA) when you plug a BlackBerry device in. I keep the installer on my SD card for easy access in an emergency.

Start here:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software | Applications to Synchronize Your BlackBerry and Desktop Data

Click the Download link at the very bottom. From the next page choose the "Desktop 4.2 service pack 1" choice near the top, click Next. From the next page, scroll down a little bit and look for this:

==
    BlackBerry Device Manager v4.2 SP1 (English)
    * Download includes: Device Manager
    * File name: BlackBerry Device Manager (English).msi
    * File size: 11.3 MB
    * Date posted: 06-Feb-07
    ==

This is the tiny installer you'd want to keep on the SD card, and install on a PC to provide proper charging of your device.
    Last edited by audit; 10-09-07 at 11:34 AM. Reason: fixed link
    10-09-07 11:14 AM
    Thanks for the info

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-07 08:06 PM
    THanks for doing the work on this. You just saved me a bunch of time.
    08-07-08 08:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD