I have an 8 gig card in my flip, love it. Never thought of it until now, but should flash memory be defraged as often as a normal hard drive? Or even at all? Windows gives you the option to defrag it, so I'm guessing it's a good thing, but I'm not sure if the architecture of flash memory even requires defraging. Love to hear some feedback!

Thx!
    06-20-09 04:08 PM
    i doubt you'll need to defrag a micro sdhc card.I heard it can be bad to defrag flash.
    06-20-09 04:20 PM
    i doubt you'll need to defrag a micro sdhc card.I heard it can be bad to defrag flash.
    Yeah, thx for the input. Now that I think about it for a sec, defrag is really only needed with a drive that has moving parts....to put the most used files at the front of the platter, to prevent the head from skipping all over the place to find parts of the same program etc.

Little bit of a Duh

I did do some searches online, and it seems there have indeed been problems with people defraging their Micro SDHC chips. You are correct sir!

Does make me curious why Micro$oft would leave that option in when you go to the drives properties.... I have Vista and Win7 going and the option is there to defrag the flash drive.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Hoggles; 06-20-09 at 04:47 PM.
    06-20-09 04:44 PM
    glad I could be of some help !
    06-20-09 04:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD