Hi there forum. I just got an 8100 for Christmas (early) and I'm totally unfamiliar with it. It took me 10 minutes last night to figure out how to send an sms. I got it though I used to be a moto fan boy... then I saw the light of Nokia... now I'm tackling this.

I have a few questions, which I started to search for and couldn't find the answers. Maybe someone in the know will have a little patience with me and just answer my laundry list of questions real quick.... or at least provide relevant links.

1) Is it possible to transfer files from the computer to the 8100 via bluetooth... and visa versa? It's telling me I gotta do it with a usb cable, but on a Verizon moto phone a while back, I was able to unlock this feature. Is it possible with this phone?

2) Can I use the wi-fi network in my home to sync my calendar, email, and web browsing?

3) Is there a voip application, not the skype connect program that's out there that isn't really a voip application? I'm looking for a true voip client? Is there one?

4) What are some cool things people are doing with this phone? There is a gps option in the menu, but there is nothing there. There is also a maps feature ,but no images show up.

5) Is it possible to use the phone as a usb flash disk?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Normally I'm a very good forum user, searching for everything myself, but I'm having trouble locating stuff, and if someone is feeling the spirit of the non-denomination happy holiday season and would like to help me out, I'd really appreciate it.

Take care
    12-24-07 05:54 AM
    1) Is it possible to transfer files from the computer to the 8100 via bluetooth... and visa versa? It's telling me I gotta do it with a usb cable, but on a Verizon moto phone a while back, I was able to unlock this feature. Is it possible with this phone?
    I don't recall the answer to this one. I wouldn't be surprised if the answer is yes.

2) Can I use the wi-fi network in my home to sync my calendar, email, and web browsing?
    No. The 8100 doesn't support wi-fi. One of it's newer siblings (The Pearl 8120) does though.

3) Is there a voip application, not the skype connect program that's out there that isn't really a voip application? I'm looking for a true voip client? Is there one?
    I don't think so. I think people generally just get the voice plan. I assume that it would work better than voip over wireless data connections.

4) What are some cool things people are doing with this phone? There is a gps option in the menu, but there is nothing there. There is also a maps feature ,but no images show up.
    GPS for sure. Check out Google Maps Mobile. On ATT/Cingular I think we also get BlackBerry Maps. And we can use TeleNav which works well, but for $10/month. I think Verizon has their own TeleNav equivalent. All of these work with GPS, but most of them have some function even without GPS. GMM also can roughly estimate your location with triangulation if you lack GPS.

5) Is it possible to use the phone as a usb flash disk?
    Yes, but given that you have to have a USB cable around to do it, it doesn't seem very convenient.
    12-25-07 12:44 AM
    No. The 8100 doesn't support wi-fi. One of it's newer siblings (The Pearl 8120) does though.
    My phone has wireless. It doesn't say wi-fi... but if it's not wi-fi, what kind of wireless is it?

If it is wi-fi, how do I tell the phone to use the wi-fi as the data connection?

This is a European Blackberry (from Italy specifically). I'm not sure if that's different from the States.

Also, are there different rom's I can put on my phone? I used to be able to flash my moto phone after a new major hack was made. I'm not seeing much of that kind of thing with this phone. Is anyone hacking the blackberry OS?
    12-25-07 04:39 AM
    Wi-Fi refers to the (relatively) short range "wireless LAN" technology that you probably installed in your house when in installed a router. It's also what people usually mean when they talk about "hot-spots". Many stores around here provide free WiFi connections to the internet. We call those stores and the area around them, "hot spots". Most laptop computers now support it also.

That's different than the technology traditionally used for cell phones which is based on cells whose size is much larger and centered around those antennas you see on top of buildings and towers. CDMA, TDMA, EDGE, GPRS, etc are all technologies in this category. All cell phones support at least one of these "wireless (cellular)" technologies. Only a few newer cell phones (like the 8120) support Wi-Fi.
    12-27-07 01:21 AM
    The BlackBerry 8100 uses GSM and EDGE as the network, provided by your mobile carrier (T-Mobile, AT&T, whoever). The 8100 does not have WiFi, as mentioned.

The 8100 does not have built in GPS, but has the capability of interacting with an external GPS puck. Google Maps gives you the location from the nearest cell phone towers, which is no way should be confused with GPS.

The cool thing about a BlackBerry is secure, fast wireless e-mail....
    12-27-07 01:50 AM
    No Wi-fi? No built in GPS? The best this thing can do is fast secure email??? I don't understand why people's panties get wet for Blackberry. Sheesh. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade... but what's so special about a smart phone that does email?

I guess I can't complain too much as this phone was a Christmas gift... but even my Verizon Moto phone I could at least open the rom, mess around with the graphics, turn on features Verizon disabled and otherwise have fun with the phone.

This thing seems too ordinary if you ask me.
    12-27-07 02:23 AM
    You can always return it and go back to your Moto. A BlackBerry is not for everyone. You can't hack it. Limited ways to "mod" it.

BTW - my 8320 does have WiFi. And I use it and love it. There are several models with GPS. Just not the model (released in September 2006) that you got...
    12-27-07 02:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD