I have searched this forum pretty extensively and can't seem to find what I am looking for: a way to configure the "today" theme on my 8130.

I understand how to move icon around in other themes, but the Today theme seems to be locked...it is what it is.

This is silly. Of all the themes one would really want to configure for various options, the "Today" theme has to be #1. I want Tasks show (not call log). I want more than 2 items shown for upcoming calendar events. I want to be able to dictate exactly what my "today" should display, but sadly, it does not seem to be possible.

Any ideas? I have found the PocketDay application, but it is just that: an application...not a theme, and I don't want to have to launch an app just to see my daily agenda. I want to just turn on my BB and there it all is, in living color, with an attrative UI that looks like it was designed in this century. The PocketDay aesthetics look like something from Microsoft DOS circa 1985.
    02-22-08 02:49 PM
    Themes can only be modified by the author--you can only change the background image and move icons around.

However, even the Plazmic theme creator will not allow you display more than two calendar events.
    02-23-08 11:03 AM
    That was my point: that with "today" themes, you can't even move the icons around. They are set in concrete. What gives?

It takes me some scrolling and 2 clicks to get to "tasks" for example...

Applications >> Tasks

My only other option is to assign it to a left or right convenience button.

I'm tempted to buy Plazmic and just build my own. I bet it would be a hot seller.
    02-23-08 06:33 PM
    The Plazmic theme creator is free. Just go to their Web site and download it. There are several other things you need with it--all links are provided.
    02-23-08 06:50 PM
    Yep, then you can make your own Today theme!
    02-23-08 07:09 PM
    just go to pinstack.com and you will find plenty of other options... register there and then search withing the 81** section for 'today themes' and you will find some different options
    02-24-08 01:34 AM
    That was my point: that with "today" themes, you can't even move the icons around. They are set in concrete. What gives?

It takes me some scrolling and 2 clicks to get to "tasks" for example...

Applications >> Tasks

My only other option is to assign it to a left or right convenience button.

I'm tempted to buy Plazmic and just build my own. I bet it would be a hot seller.
    Try this theme it will solve at least part of your complaints, the 'Dimension Today Plus Theme' for the 8130 http://mobile.blackberry.com/resourc...us_240x260.jad

It displays the messages, call log, and calendar the same as the regular 'today' theme but if u move the trackball to the bottom of the screen 5 icons come up in a little toolbar...these icons are the top row of icons when you press the 'blackberry/applications' button so you can control which apps show up in the toolbar by simply moving them to the top row. You could include the 'Tasks' app in the top row. (this eliminates 1 of the two clicks for you at least)

(I have bb browser, viigo, jivetalk, googlemaps, and bb music player for my 'toolbar' apps so they are all 1 click away, and my side convenience keys still have other functions: left = address book, right = camera)

Also, in your calendar options you can tell it to display tasks Calendar>>Options>>General Options>>Show Tasks (Yes or No) not sure if you know about that or if it helps, calendar items items will also still show..
    Last edited by coolskierguy; 02-24-08 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added stuff
    02-24-08 09:49 AM
    Well, thanks for all the advice here...it was helpful.

I managed to download and install the Plazmic theme builder, and did create a customized Today theme using the standard BB Dimension look & feel. As you can see from the screen capture, it now has Tasks on it, along with Calendar and Messages...the 3 things I need for a "day at a glance" functionality.

However, there are some major caveats that are pretty big show stoppers for me...

1) Adding Tasks to the home screen simply adds a shortcut to the Tasks app...it does NOT actually display a preview of upcoming tasks. This is not configurable in the Plazmic theme builder.

2) The preview for Calendar and Messages will only show two items. To see the others, you must fully open the app. This is not configurable in the Plazmic theme builder.

3) You can set your calendar options to display tasks, but they will not display in the preview on your home screen. Only actual calendar events (not task events) will display.

So, unfortunately all this modified theme really solves for me is to save a single keystroke when opening my tasks application...it does not actually give me true "day at a glance" functionality like I wanted.

4) If you try to add additional home screen shortcuts, such as "address book" or "media player," the Plazmic theme builder lets you add them and actually shows them on the screen. However, once you load the theme onto your device, they will no longer be there, regardless of whether any calendar or other previews are displaying at the moment and using up your screen real estate. There are no scroll bars shown indicating additional app shortcuts are at the bottom. It is as though they weren't included at all in the theme.

I did discover a shortcut that makes things a bit easier. You do not actually have to scroll down to the "Applications" shortcut to access your screen full of apps. Simply press the menu key (to the left of your trackball) and it will automatically jump to the applications launcher screen.

If others have hints for me, please fire away. Also, if anyone wants this modified theme I've made, let me know. I'll just e-mail it to you, or if I get real ambitious I'll post it to the downloads section of crackberry.com later this week.

Personally, I don't think my modified theme is that much of an improvement over the standard Today theme that is factory installed on the 81XX devices. I was thinking that it would give a preview of upcoming tasks. Unfortunately, it does not, and I can't find a way to add that functionality...at least not in Theme Builder.
    02-24-08 12:40 PM
    Yeah I underwent the same ordeal - with the Plazmic Theme Builder... thinking I'd be able to configure the Tasks application on the home screen to display a preview of upcoming tasks. What a big disappointment, and a pointless exercise in futility to boot.

However, there might be another way - using the BlackBerry JDK (instead of Plazmic). What if it were possible to extend the functionality of the current Tasks application by adding a "Preview" option. Just a thought.. a few days ago I took a look at some of the *.java samples (supplied with BBJDK) and thought it might be doable.

Any thoughts?
    03-04-08 07:39 AM
    I would love to hear from anyone who has a solution for this problem. I too need a fully configurable, or at least more useful, main screen.

You know, on my old Eriksson P910 I downloaded a wonderful program called HandyDay. It displayed everything about the current day, including messages, calendar events and tasks. It was also fully configurable, allowing me to display all other applications and their data, right on the main screen.

I emailed the company, and they said they did not plan to make a version for blackberry. Shame. It was perfect.
    04-12-08 11:52 AM
    Sadly, I can't agree more.

I've recently switched from PocketPC to BB (courtesy of my employers), and whilst I'm loving the BB on many levels, I'm amazed by the lack of ability to customize different apps. As with NevadaDad, I can't believe there is such limited ability to configure the today theme. I want to be able to see more than the next two appointments in my calendar, and I find it astounding that this isn't possible. (I have a similar gripe about not being able to turn the 'conflict notice' on/off in calendar view - which seems such a simple request).

Let's hope RIM change their mind and design a fully configurable today theme in the near future.
    06-17-08 03:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD