I dont know whats going on with my Pearl. First, i love this thing, more than you'll ever know. i used Windows Devices for years and years, totally ignoring BB's and boy once i switched, i really had no idea how horrible Windows Devices were. That being said, I am confused.

My verizon rep (i manage my company's account) uses his Curve and when i view his emails in my outlook, they look like they came from his outlook, i can tell no difference. this is one of my favorite things about BB's. A Windows Mobile will convert it to plain text. Well, my pearl sent emails for a while in the way that looked nice, not that plain text crap. now, all of a sudden it switched to plain text. What did i do?

What can i change?

EDIT : by the way, i manage the BES, so if there is something to change there, i can.
    07-23-08 01:22 PM

<snip>

My verizon rep (i manage my company's account) uses his Curve and when i view his emails in my outlook, they look like they came from his outlook, i can tell no difference. this is one of my favorite things about BB's. A Windows Mobile will convert it to plain text. Well, my pearl sent emails for a while in the way that looked nice, not that plain text crap. now, all of a sudden it switched to plain text. What did i do?

What can i change?

EDIT : by the way, i manage the BES, so if there is something to change there, i can.
    Need a bit more info: what do you mean by "plain text crap", exactly?

Is it just that the email is in plain text? If that's the problem, I'm not sure there is anything you can do about it, since there aren't a lot of formatting options when composing from your BB. (At present, BBs can't even read HTML emails properly without 3rd-party software, much less compose/send them.)

But you said that your Pearl used to send good-looking emails, so that's why I'm a little confused. How did the old emails look different?
    07-23-08 02:23 PM
    Need a bit more info: what do you mean by "plain text crap", exactly?

Is it just that the email is in plain text? If that's the problem, I'm not sure there is anything you can do about it, since there aren't a lot of formatting options when composing from your BB. (At present, BBs can't even read HTML emails properly without 3rd-party software, much less compose/send them.)

But you said that your Pearl used to send good-looking emails, so that's why I'm a little confused. How did the old emails look different?
    Unless they are on OS 4.5..
    07-23-08 02:59 PM
    they looked closer to the format that my font is set to on my device. now, its just plain text blah. seems so odd.

i know it was working before, and my verizon reps Curve looks like normal font too, but mine doesnt.

i apologize if i give poor info. keep asking questions and i will keep replying. i am new to these blackberries so the info i may give may not be exactly what you are looking for.
    07-23-08 03:53 PM
    they looked closer to the format that my font is set to on my device. now, its just plain text blah. seems so odd.

i know it was working before, and my verizon reps Curve looks like normal font too, but mine doesnt.

i apologize if i give poor info. keep asking questions and i will keep replying. i am new to these blackberries so the info i may give may not be exactly what you are looking for.
    I'm still a little confused, but no one who knows me will be much surprised by that.

Tell if I have this right: when your Verizon rep sends you an email from his phone, it looks different (in Outlook) from (and better than) emails that you send to yourself from your Pearl. It used to be that when you emailed yourself from your phone, the email you received in Outlook looked more like the ones your rep sent -- but now they don't.

Is that a fair restatement?
    07-23-08 06:41 PM
    I'm still a little confused, but no one who knows me will be much surprised by that.

Tell if I have this right: when your Verizon rep sends you an email from his phone, it looks different (in Outlook) from (and better than) emails that you send to yourself from your Pearl. It used to be that when you emailed yourself from your phone, the email you received in Outlook looked more like the ones your rep sent -- but now they don't.

Is that a fair restatement?

exactly! i even thought to master reset my pearl just to see if it fixes it.
    07-23-08 07:01 PM
    So there are a couple of threads here on CB where people have asked how to change the outgoing email font, or make it look nicer. I'd give links to them, but there isn't much point: the consensus is that you can't change the outgoing email font. The BB sends outgoing emails in plain old ASCII text; there isn't any font or formatting (i.e., font size, bold, italics, etc.) information.

The only way to change how they look in Outlook is to change the default plain text font settings in Outlook. As to why they looked better before, I can only surmise that the Outlook font settings changed for some reason. I've noticed that my default settings on MS Office apps sometimes change after Windows Update does its thing, maybe that's what got your display settings.

Sorry about that, wish there was a different answer.
    07-23-08 08:20 PM
    So there are a couple of threads here on CB where people have asked how to change the outgoing email font, or make it look nicer. I'd give links to them, but there isn't much point: the consensus is that you can't change the outgoing email font. The BB sends outgoing emails in plain old ASCII text; there isn't any font or formatting (i.e., font size, bold, italics, etc.) information.

The only way to change how they look in Outlook is to change the default plain text font settings in Outlook. As to why they looked better before, I can only surmise that the Outlook font settings changed for some reason. I've noticed that my default settings on MS Office apps sometimes change after Windows Update does its thing, maybe that's what got your display settings.

Sorry about that, wish there was a different answer.

fair point, but that still leaves the question.. why does my verizon Rep's look completely different? just doesnt make much sense. on top of that, mine looked differnt a while ago too, and now it doesnt. what i will do, for sure, is tomorrow at work, setup outlook on a PC i have never used before, email myself and see how it looks. that will test that, but thats still a shakey test becasue my verizon reps email looks much different.

honestly, its not a big deal, but i am trying to learn about BB's and BES's and this is something that doesnt have an answer.

heck, i might just master reset for kicks.
    07-23-08 09:14 PM
    heck, i might just master reset for kicks.
    Hey, you only live once!

Hope the Outlook thing works for you, good luck!
    07-23-08 09:32 PM
    so BB's dont ever send as rich text?
    07-23-08 10:27 PM
    so here are 2 example pics. the first one is from my verizon rep.

and here is one i sent to myself. what the hell?

07-24-08 04:12 PM
    So I saw somewhere that someone had recommended changing the font family on your phone using the Setup wizard. That might work, but I gave it a quick test and it didn't make a difference for me.

So I started thinking about other things that might be different. The other thing that occurred to me was that when your rep sends email from his phone it picks up some font attributes along the way.

I'm guessing that his outgoing email server is set to send everything as rich text (or perhaps html). I don't use BES, and I don't know much about how it works, but I think it's more likely that BES talks to the email server rather than actually BEING the email server -- and if that's so, then the setting you're looking for resides on the email server, not the BES.

Any BES or network admins out there that can give a definitive answer on this?
    07-25-08 02:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD