I was sent an email yesterday announcing a coloured trackball software option for my pearl...

Has anyone else seen this or bought it? Anyone got any views on it as well??

Colour Your Trackball by CWorx - Handango BlackBerry Pearl Software
    03-29-07 07:21 AM
    ...for the sake of $4.95, I bought it, and installed it! But, it's crap, to put it bluntly...

When a call comes in, it does not light up, and if it does it would remain one colour. I expected it to 'flicker to various' colours...

I suppose, for $4.95, how could I expect more...
    03-29-07 07:38 AM
    ...for the sake of $4.95, I bought it, and installed it! But, it's crap, to put it bluntly...

When a call comes in, it does not light up, and if it does it would remain one colour. I expected it to 'flicker to various' colours...

I suppose, for $4.95, how could I expect more...

You just wanted to spend your winnings....

But i have seen ifo on the lighting of the trackball - let me go look around and come back..
    03-29-07 09:34 AM
    Sorry to hear you wasted $4.95, but thanks for taking one for the team! Some people have gotten brave and taken apart their Pearl/8800 and used a permanent marker to color the LED that lights up the Pearl ball, thus making it a different color. I'm just not that brave, or really care enough about the color. But good luck to those that want to try.
    03-29-07 09:59 AM
    ...where someone shows a step-by-step, with screen shots of how to do it! When, and if I loose my mind, I'll try it - yeah, right...

But, on a serious note, the $4.95 is nothing, BUT, am totally disappointed with the software. Silly thing is, I didn't even read what it could/couldn't do, I just bought it - silly boy...
    03-29-07 10:34 AM
    I emailed the developer and asked him if i could get a free copy and interview for my site. He said that my contribution to the blackberry community was enough for a free license.... schweet.

This is a gag app that just changes the color of the trackball into many different colors. I believe the app is in its infinancy and i am the reason why it is at 1.02.

I have suggested these features..
    - Have the pearl pulse when you have a new message.
    -Have the pulse alerts be different colors for different events/accounts.
    -control led's as well like blinkberry

The developer seems cool... keep you posted. :-)
    zavar likes this.
    03-29-07 07:45 PM
    Sorry, Navilyn - thankfully it was only $4.95. For you and Kasper referring to the guy who took apart his Pearl - here is a link with the directions...for those of you who are "brave"..... If something goes wrong, you're out the warranty though....

DIY: Change the Color of BlackBerry Pearl Trackball - Gizmodo

...where someone shows a step-by-step, with screen shots of how to do it! When, and if I loose my mind, I'll try it - yeah, right...

But, on a serious note, the $4.95 is nothing, BUT, am totally disappointed with the software. Silly thing is, I didn't even read what it could/couldn't do, I just bought it - silly boy...
    03-29-07 07:51 PM
    Those changes you requested are worth while, am looking forward to it. So, keep us all posted. Just to show more people are interested in this, I sent him a message too!

ps: you could have had my copy - LOL

I emailed the developer and asked him if i could get a free copy and interview for my site. He said that my contribution to the blackberry community was enough for a free license.... schweet.

This is a gag app that just changes the color of the trackball into many different colors. I believe the app is in its infinancy and i am the reason why it is at 1.02.

I have suggested these features..
    - Have the pearl pulse when you have a new message.
    -Have the pulse alerts be different colors for different events/accounts.
    -control led's as well like blinkberry

The developer seems cool... keep you posted. :-)
    Last edited by anon(153966); 03-29-07 at 08:01 PM.
    03-29-07 07:57 PM
    cworx has updated the app with a bug fix. Now when you holster the pearl, the trackball goes off. However if you go into standby it will not go off until the timer runs out.
    03-30-07 01:16 PM
    my friend just told me about this last night, and i promised i would look it up today... basically, there's a lot of back and forth here...

...should i get the software now, or wait for a better one to come out?
    06-11-07 03:45 PM
    Even if you get the present one, you can always get the updates he puts out. Plus, it's only $4.95...
    06-11-07 04:54 PM
    I found a program on blackberryforums.com that lets you set the pearl to different colors. That's pretty much all it does but the price is right. It's free!!
    06-12-07 09:02 AM
    [QUOTE=Minxy;5029]I was sent an email yesterday announcing a coloured trackball software option for my pearl...

Has anyone else seen this or bought it? Anyone got any views on it as well??

I KNOW THAT THERE ARE BERRIES FOR MOST CARRIERS ...
    BUT THIS SEEMS STRANGE TO ME, THE PEARL COMES WITH THE FEATURE BUILT INTO IT TO HAVE YOUR TRACKBALL LIGHT UP ....
    IF YOU ARE USING AN MP3 IT FLASHES AND CHANGES COLOR
    THAT MAKES THE SOFTWARE A MUTE PRODUCT...
    THE 8800 AND 8300 DO NOT HAVE THE BUILT IN TRACKBALL LIGHTING ( THAT BUGGED ME ) BUT I WOULD WAGER A GUESS THAT THEY CAN IF THE SOFTWARE LET IT ...
    06-12-07 09:31 AM
    I spoke with Cworx, via email, and he advised that 8800 / 8300 didn't have the 'hardware' set to make his software work. Most annoying...
    06-12-07 10:05 AM
    i was looking around on another forum and found this one.....

geekandproud.net/blackberry-software/

it's free and very simple to download and use. all three of the app's on the page are nice and useful. the colors on the trackball app are pretty vivid.
    06-12-07 07:34 PM
    oh yeah...put the www. in front of that. i couldn't post the whole url.
    06-12-07 07:35 PM
    I accidentally got my pearl to flicker different colors when a call comes in. I don't recommend anyone do this intentionally, but thought you all would find it interesting.

I was eating dinner and didn't realize I got some honey/orange glaze on my fingers. (Bet you can tell where this is going!) Later I realized I'd gotten some of this sticky stuff right on the pearl and had been rolling it around! I panicked and immediately cleaned it as best I could without taking the whole thing apart. Now it's just a tiny bit sluggish, but when my phone rings the pearl flickers different colors! I'm still waiting for the pearl piece to stop working, but for now it's pretty cool!
    06-18-07 12:23 PM
    My Pearl flickers in different colors when i get a call - right out of the box.
    06-20-07 03:07 PM
    My trackball glowed plain white when it rang, until I got it dirty and it started flickering random colors. Since my trackball was still a little sticky, I took the trackball out and cleaned it real good. Now it's back to the plain white glow when it rings.
    06-20-07 04:04 PM
    to add another twist, my husband just got one (a week after mine) and we just checked it. It lights up white only.
    06-20-07 10:02 PM
    I was able to to get my track ball to change colors randomly during an incoming call by going to options, screen/keyboard, and setting trackball light to on.
    06-21-07 02:22 AM
    I don't have that option. Other trackball options, but nothing about lighting. Not that I'm complaining, mine is working.
    06-21-07 07:07 AM
    I wonder if Mr. Green96 is using a different OS, thus the different choice of options...
    06-21-07 07:13 AM
    quite possible - mine's stock from Cingular/ATT.
    06-21-07 10:20 AM
    I'm using a referb BB perl from cingular/AT&T. Softeware version 4.2.0.71
    06-22-07 01:44 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD