Is there anything I can do or buy to help my BB stop annoying me and those around me with the chatter/noise it transmits through other electronic devices?
    04-17-08 12:58 PM
    As far as I know it's a Cingular thing, not the BlackBerry. I have Verizon and it doesn't do it, but all Cingular/ AT&T devices phone or BB do it. I don't think there is a product that will block it.
    04-17-08 01:09 PM
    All GSM phones emit electronic chatter. I you hold any of 'em near a sound system then there will be a very distinctive sound about once every 30 seconds and the phone 'talks' to the local antennas (yes, plural).

In the event of a incoming call, SMS or email. During a call, emissions are constant.

It may be that the BB emits more often than other phones because it does quite a bit more than other phones in terms of receiving information.

What is clear is that the level (loudness) of all these electronic beeps n whistles will be no stronger than any other phone. Why? The more it puts out, the shorter the battery life AND there are agreed norms (I don't know what they are) for emision power from all mobile phons.

So, in summary, your phone should not be much worse than any one else's for emission noise. If you are truly experienceing this then ask your vendor to check your phone. Maybe there is a fault.
    04-17-08 01:15 PM
    Thank you everyone. I do notice that sometimes if I get within distance of my tv in my bedroom, the noise/chatter is insanely loud. But there are times when the noise level is very minimal. So, I don't get it. Blah, sucks I can't do anything about it.
    04-17-08 03:33 PM
    All GSM phones emit electronic chatter. I you hold any of 'em near a sound system then there will be a very distinctive sound about once every 30 seconds and the phone 'talks' to the local antennas (yes, plural).

In the event of a incoming call, SMS or email. During a call, emissions are constant.

It may be that the BB emits more often than other phones because it does quite a bit more than other phones in terms of receiving information.

What is clear is that the level (loudness) of all these electronic beeps n whistles will be no stronger than any other phone. Why? The more it puts out, the shorter the battery life AND there are agreed norms (I don't know what they are) for emision power from all mobile phons.

So, in summary, your phone should not be much worse than any one else's for emission noise. If you are truly experienceing this then ask your vendor to check your phone. Maybe there is a fault.
    Whoa! Check out the big brain on Pete! Outstanding! (i was totally gona say that) lol
    04-17-08 04:39 PM
    Thank you everyone. I do notice that sometimes if I get within distance of my tv in my bedroom, the noise/chatter is insanely loud. But there are times when the noise level is very minimal. So, I don't get it. Blah, sucks I can't do anything about it.
    The noise should not be continuous for more than a few seconds unless you are on a call. If the noise keeps going all the time then there is something wrong and you should have your phone checked out. Battery life will be affected too.
    04-18-08 01:57 PM
    GSM noise is a bug, but in the devices it shows up in, not in the Blackberry or mobile phone.

Any conductor is an antenna for electromagnetic radiation, of any frequency, they just work on some frequencies better than others. This means that circuit traces on circuit boards and wires inside electrical devices are antennas, and they will pick up radio signals, across the spectrum. Some of the radio signals have data rates that are too fast for the human ear to hear, though, so we don't notice them. The GSM network apparently has some data rates in the audible range, so we notice the noise.

What you hear is several consecutive transmission bursts (approx 4 or 8 x 4.7ms apart) of the GSM mobile terminal sending its location update to the BTS tower to let the GSM system know where it is and that it is still switched on and reachable. Often these bursts are picked-up by unshielded speakers, or more likely by unshielded wires such as speaker wires or AV wires which are then amplified before the speaker cones - in short poorly designed equipment not adequately shielded.

The interval for location updates is under the control of the BTS tower and not the mobile terminal.

If the GSM networks fails to receive a location update from a mobile terminal when it is due, the network may deem the mobile station as unreachable and proceed to divert all incoming calls to voicemail. In practice the network may allow one or more missed location updates. Again this is up to the network planners/operators and could vary from network to network and even from location area to location area within the same network.
    04-18-08 03:03 PM
    GSM noise is a bug, but in the devices it shows up in, not in the Blackberry or mobile phone.
    I think you meant a nuisance - right?

Any conductor is an antenna for electromagnetic radiation, of any frequency, they just work on some frequencies better than others. This means that circuit traces on circuit boards and wires inside electrical devices are antennas, and they will pick up radio signals, across the spectrum. Some of the radio signals have data rates that are too fast for the human ear to hear, though, so we don't notice them. The GSM network apparently has some data rates in the audible range, so we notice the noise.
    Electrical conductors will mostly conduct AND radiate electromagnetic energy. The trouble is, they also absorb this energy. The 900Mhz signals that GSM phones radiate and receive are completely inaudaudible so why can we hear them. The reason is that they are modulated (switched on and of very fast) and we hear the modulation. To explain modulation, look at a wave on a river, lake or the sea. There is usually a lot of little (short) waves sitting on the top of a big wave. It makes the water surface of the water look wavy and rippled at the same time. The Big wave is the modulation of the little ripples. A bloke called Nyquist made a rule of it too.

What you hear is several consecutive transmission bursts (approx 4 or 8 x 4.7ms apart) of the GSM mobile terminal sending its location update to the BTS tower to let the GSM system know where it is and that it is still switched on and reachable. Often these bursts are picked-up by unshielded speakers, or more likely by unshielded wires such as speaker wires or AV wires which are then amplified before the speaker cones - in short poorly designed equipment not adequately shielded.
    You are pretty much right. What you hear is the chopped up buzz, buzz really annoying noise as described above and they really do creep into anything electrical because the shielding that they havewas designed to shiled audio and power noise. The modulated 900Mhz (or 1800 or whatever) just goes straight through audio shielding pretty much the same way that light goes through glass but water does not.

The interval for location updates is under the control of the BTS tower and not the mobile terminal.
    Not always. The phone will poll on its own at about 30 second intervals just to say 'Hi.' this is how it finds the network when you switch on. The network can poll at will if it needs a number of bits of information. This is especially true if you are driving quickly through a city center. This netork always wants to givve your phone the best possible signal so it polls the phone to find out which of its masts has the best (non-echoed [I am not goinginto multi-pathing here] signal).

If the GSM networks fails to receive a location update from a mobile terminal when it is due, the network may deem the mobile station as unreachable and proceed to divert all incoming calls to voicemail. In practice the network may allow one or more missed location updates. Again this is up to the network planners/operators and could vary from network to network and even from location area to location area within the same network.
    And doesn't that pi$$ everyone off.
    04-18-08 03:30 PM
    My head just exploded.
    04-19-08 07:40 AM
    Whoa....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-08 08:51 AM
    S o r r y!

My job is now a computer repair person. I run my own company.

My first degree back in the '60s was in Telecommunications and then in the '90s I went back to uni and got a 2nd degree in datacommunications.

My carrer has been in computer networking and computers generally. I have designed them, fixed 'em, supported them, marketed them in just about all their guises but my passion has always been networks and tlecom.

I remember quite clearly how this started. I was about 8 years ol d(I'm 62 now). My parents wer out and I dismantled the house telephone. I saw two wires going into the phone and about a gazillion inside. Whoa! I was hooked. Simple as that. I gues that I am lucky because there have only been a few things in my life (apart from raining kids, marriage, fixing the shower and lofe generally) that have really interested me - telecom, beer, MUSIC, sex, cars, sex, etc.

Any knowledge I share here should be accepted with the caveat that is is worth exactly what you pay for it - zero.

GSM - whaich is wat BBs use is actualy quite simple. It is a bit like lego and has lots of little bricks to make up the whole thing so it sounds worse than it really is.

If anyone is interested, have a look at this How Stuff Works link and you can see how the annoying buzzing sound is created. It comes from that ltiile timeslot of 6.7 000ths of a second. this is the modulation (ripples on waves) that I was banging on about earlier. Hoy can't hear the signals them selves but you can sure cet annooyed with that buzzing.

Pete
    04-20-08 06:15 AM
    Get computer parts bag, the anti static kind I have one sitting on my desk well a piece of one cut to the size of my phone I just set my phone on it and no more speaker talk just a thought ;-)
    06-18-08 01:05 PM
    Whoa! Check out the big brain on Petersn1! Outstanding (C*nt) lol
    11-01-15 12:03 PM
    Whoa! Check out the big brain on petersn1! Outstanding! (C*nt) lol ;-)
    11-01-15 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD