Quick question.* The mini USB car charger I bought for my Pearl decided to quit working.* The red power LED light turns on, but when I plug the charger into the phone the little plug icon on the home screen no longer displays.* I also have a Bluetooth car charger for my Motorola T305 speaker that clips onto my visor.* This charger fits into the Pearl and the plug icon on the home screen displays.* Does this mean that it's actually charging?* Can I use BT charger or will it ruin the battery or phone?* Or, do I just have to use a Blackberry Pearl car charger.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-08 03:24 PM
    Quick question.* The mini USB car charger I bought for my Pearl decided to quit working.* The red power LED light turns on, but when I plug the charger into the phone the little plug icon on the home screen no longer displays.* I also have a Bluetooth car charger for my Motorola T305 speaker that clips onto my visor.* This charger fits into the Pearl and the plug icon on the home screen displays.* Does this mean that it's actually charging?* Can I use BT charger or will it ruin the battery or phone?* Or, do I just have to use a Blackberry Pearl car charger.

In this scenario I'd say you're safe. Just make sure the voltage/amperage output on the charger is within the input range on your BB. As far as your other charger, check the plug to see if any of the connections are damaged.
    12-10-08 03:41 PM
    Just make sure the voltage/amperage output on the charger is within the input range on your BB.
    How can I found out what the input range is on my blackberry?

Thanks.
    12-11-08 08:16 AM
    BlackBerry Pearl uses a 5 volt, 750mAmp charger, I have found that a 1 Amp (1000mA) 5 volt charger works better, you will charge your device with outputs as low as 250mA, but you may damage the charger by overtaxing it.

I've seen "made in china" car chargers for Motorola (their stuff tends to draw a max of 500mA) work for a while and then fail under the higher current draw of a BlackBerry.

12-11-08 09:46 AM
    I use my old motorolla chargers on my berry all the time.

12-12-08 06:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD