Okay, My name is Blake, im a 20 yr old female and I would consider myself pretty computer literate. I just got a new pearl 8120 and I realized that my fav one by far is the OS on the 8110 for att. My phone is unlocked & it has the Blackberry Pearl 8120 smartphone (EDGE, Wi-Fi) v4.3.0.94 (platform 2.6.0.54) software on it. I really just need advice on how to change the OS on the phone (& where to find the files) and if I could still get the wi-fi to work if I changed the OS to the pearl 8110. My phone was originally made for O2 (UK) brand phone and I want the cingular software on it although I still want it to be unlocked. I know there is a way of flashing over phones to different networks, I'm just not completely familiar with it. This is my first time using forums for anything so I'm not completely familiar with any of this but I have AIM sixspeedbabygurl and Yahoo! artemis5421 if anyone has time to chat and help me out with this. Thanks so much for your time and I appreciate any help! -*-Blake-*-

*UPDATED QUESTION** Aug. 05, 2008 --Okay So I have heard a few new things and I change my original question. I know that I can't install the 8110 OS on my 8120 so I'm over that. Now I wanna know if its possible to install the ATT OS for the pearl 8120 on my Unlocked O2 pearl 8120? and How would I go about that? Also I want to make sure that my phone stays unlocked. Thanks again!
    Last edited by pinkberry8120; 08-05-08 at 12:54 PM. Reason: updated question
    08-04-08 10:02 PM
    It is generally not possible to change the OS on a phone to the OS for a different model, even in the same series. Attempting to install the 8110 OS on an 8120, if it will install at all, will almost certainly result in an inoperative 8120, which will not be covered by your warranty.

You will be able to upgrade the 8120 to the latest 8120 software, if what is on your phone is not the latest. But I would encourage you not to upgrade until you are more familiar with your device. Otherwise, you will have a hard time following the procedure and will almost certainly end up with a non-functioning device. Wait a week or two, at least. Use your device. And don't fall for the temptation to install a beta OS. Read the forums and watch the problems other people have upgrading. Then, when you're ready, find the following post by bmcclure937: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/. Follow his procedure, and you if have any problems, people here will be able to help you.
    08-04-08 10:08 PM
    To add on to what Jeff is saying, before you load the desire OS you can unlock different vendor themes. The major difference between most carrier's OSes is the theme being used. For example, your ATT device will load the ATT theme when you install OS 4.5 but a TMobile device will load their theme.

You can unlock all of the carrier themes to choose from by following this guide : http://forums.crackberry.com/f16/how...r-themes-1595/

You follow that guide before doing my "Proper Upgrade / Downgrade Procedure"

And please note... both of these guies require technical knowledge and understanding. Proceed at your own risk!!
    08-04-08 10:25 PM
    Okay So I do want to unlock the ATT theme for this phone, I will give that a shot. I was also wondering if anyone knows why my Wi-Fi won't connect?! I am connected to a wireless network with a good signal and when I go to the browser or anything that involves getting on the internet it comes up saying that I am not currently in an area that can handle data communication?? I really hope I don't have to actually have a data plan through my carrier (ATT) to get online with a Wi-Fi phone. That defeats the purpose..

Another question about the OS. Since my unlocked phone has the O2 8120 software on it, is there a way I can somehow flash the phone and just get the ATT 8120 software on it? That would be awesome!
    08-05-08 08:09 AM
    As far as I know the 8120 is the only Pearl with WiFi and it's for TMo. Loading the 8110 or 8130 OS will most likely "brick" your phone. OS's are model specific.
    Comparison on BB's site of the Pearl model line 8100 8110 8120 ans 8130:
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry | Wireless Handheld Devices, Software & Services from Research In Motion (RIM)

That being said TMo and ATT are both GSM so I don't see why using an 8120 on ATT wouldn't work, but I'm not sure about the WiFi and UMA capabilities on ATT.
    08-05-08 12:19 PM
    Well ATT and TMO both have the Pearl 8120. I am currently downloading the software (from Blackberry Website) for the ATT Blackberry Pearl 8120 because I want to install that OS on my phone. I use ATT but the phone is a O2 unlocked Pearl 8120. Do you think that my phone will run the ATT OS just fine since I use att? I just want to make sure my phone still stays unlocked. I'm not gonna lie I really don't think I have a clue to what I am doing, thats why I have been googling and checking out a lot of forums lately.. So i guess I would say my basic question now after hearing a few things is:: Would the ATT OS for Pearl 8120 work on my Unlocked O2 Pearl 8120? and HOW would I go about changing the software? and after I change the software would my phone still be unlocked? Thanks for all the help!
    08-05-08 12:50 PM
    ...Would the ATT OS for Pearl 8120 work on my Unlocked O2 Pearl 8120? and HOW would I go about changing the software? and after I change the software would my phone still be unlocked? Thanks for all the help!
    Yes, the ATT 8120 OS will work on your O2 8120. The Operating System doesn't care whether your phone is unlocked or not, and installing a different OS will not change the locked/unlocked status. So your phone will remain unlocked.

To change the software, follow this procedure: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/prop...ocedure-53359/.

I don't recommend you do this procedure until you are more confident in what you are doing. It is not hard, but it is not trivial either, and if you don't know what you're doing, you can easily create a problem that will be hard for you to recover from.
    08-05-08 02:24 PM
    This is what you need to do :

http://forums.crackberry.com/f16/how...r-themes-1595/ << This tells you how to unlock the ATT theme for your OS. The OSes on the 8120 from one carrier and another carrier are the same!! The only difference is the theme the carrier uses which makes the OS look different.

To load a new OS, follow the guide in my signature... for Proper Upgrade / Downgrade Procedure!

For your WiFi problems... follow my WiFi Guide (link in my signature as well)

All of those should get you going in the right direction...

*Warning* These guides require a lot of technical steps and knowledge. Proceed at your own risk because the consequences could result in a non-functioning Berry
    08-05-08 02:28 PM
    Blake, on BB's it seems the OS doesn't lock or unlock your device. I also came from a motorola gsm background where the firmware could indeed be "locked" or "unlocked" but that doesn't appear to be the case with BB's.
    Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-05-08 02:36 PM
    YAY!! Im soo Happy I found this forum because you all have been so helpful!! After carefully reading all the instructions and downloading all the required programs (from the links posted) it really doesn't seem as complicated as I thought it would be; and so with that being said I am going to give it a shot!!! I think I'm going to start off trying to just unlock the vendor themes and keep it simple and see what happens. I backed up my blackberry files using the DM so hopefully if I mess something up I can fix it, but I think I'll do fine! I really don't have any personal information to loose since the phone is brand new I have nothing installed on it but what it came with and all my addresses are on my sim card. WHICH BTW, would it be a good idea to take my SIM card out while I wipe the hand held and what not if I take that route? I just want to say thank you again and if I run into anything else I will be sure to post! Wish me luck!
    08-05-08 04:38 PM
    From having done many flashes on Motorola GSM handsets to a few on RIM handsets I can say that OS upgrades for RIM handsets are much easier.
    Good luck!
    08-05-08 05:28 PM
    All right you guys I just wanted to let you know that I have successfully changed the OS on my pearl 8120 all by myself AND I even unlocked all the service provider themes too with the help of those posts! Thank you so much for being so helpful and pointing me in the right direction! I had no problems at all because the directions were so clear! Thanks again!! Im sure I will figure out more that I want to do to my phone so I'll be back again! I really appreciate everyones help!!!
    08-05-08 09:51 PM
    All right you guys I just wanted to let you know that I have successfully changed the OS on my pearl 8120 all by myself AND I even unlocked all the service provider themes too with the help of those posts! Thank you so much for being so helpful and pointing me in the right direction! I had no problems at all because the directions were so clear! Thanks again!! Im sure I will figure out more that I want to do to my phone so I'll be back again! I really appreciate everyones help!!!
    Congrats!! Glad you were comfortable with the process
    08-05-08 10:02 PM
    That's fantastic. All our dire warnings couldn't scare you away! Now before you do anything else, do the Stoner procedure that's in my sig. That'll free up your memory, and keep you from suddenly losing all your text messages about two weeks from now.

Compared to what you just did, the Stoner is easy. And you've already done the hard part, installing the device OS. Go for it!
    08-05-08 10:03 PM
    That's fantastic. All our dire warnings couldn't scare you away! Now before you do anything else, do the Stoner procedure that's in my sig. That'll free up your memory, and keep you from suddenly losing all your text messages about two weeks from now.

Compared to what you just did, the Stoner is easy. And you've already done the hard part, installing the device OS. Go for it!
    Exactly!! If she followed my upgrade procedure, I hope she did not skip this step!! Especially with all of the vendor themes she unlocked!!

You wanna watch your memory by going to Options > Status > File Free...

When the number gets near 12,xxx,xxx you will run the risk of losing emails, messages and call logs to free up memory and make your Berry right correctly!

Stoner's Guide is linked in my signature!!
    08-05-08 10:08 PM
    Sweet!
    Now consider a data plan, these things were really meant to use one
    TMo is cheaper than ATT, I'm looking to move to them myself for costs and poor customer service reasons.
    Enjoy your device :-}
    08-05-08 11:00 PM
    Exactly!! If she followed my upgrade procedure, I hope she did not skip this step!! Especially with all of the vendor themes she unlocked!!

You wanna watch your memory by going to Options > Status > File Free...

When the number gets near 12,xxx,xxx you will run the risk of losing emails, messages and call logs to free up memory and make your Berry right correctly!

Stoner's Guide is linked in my signature!!
    When you say the number gets near 12xxxxxx do you mean the File total? or the File free? I would assume the total?

...Okay so I will look into the Stoner's memory post. It might be just me but I do think that my BB is kinda lagging. My file total right now is at 54,132,736 Bytes with a lil over 12xxxxxx Bytes free (Does that mean I really need to delete stuff? or is that close to the norm?) . I just don't know exactly what applications to keep and what some are used for. I also have a 4GB Micro SD card but that has all my music on it and is halfway full. I'm just not familiar with all the applications and what I would need to keep and what exactly they do. Examples: Attachment Service Properties, Maps (I don't have a data plan so I don't know if I can even use these), I figure I need to keep the MDS Runtime Properties & DOD Root Certificates because they just sound important lol (plz tell me if Im wrong), & Otherwise the other Apps I need like the memo pad, phone, tasks.. etc.
    08-06-08 08:33 AM
    Sweet!
    Now consider a data plan, these things were really meant to use one
    TMo is cheaper than ATT, I'm looking to move to them myself for costs and poor customer service reasons.
    Enjoy your device :-}
    Oh man, I have had sooo many problems with TMobile's customer service in the past that I refuse to go back to them unless I absolutely have no other option. I can't stand them! I think that ATT has been very helpful although I know their plans are VERY expensive compared to other carriers. One main reason I got the Pearl with Wi-Fi is so that I can use the internet without having a data plan, which I haven't figured out how to work my Wi-Fi with my network yet soo I'm not sure if that is correct or not. I can't get a data plan right now because I moved for college and I am not currently on my own phone plan until after I graduate. Which I really just use the pearl more for its organizing capabilities and its soo small and cute!
    08-06-08 08:39 AM
    You are at the low end of the safe region and should consider deleting some modules you don't need. You almost certainly don't need the MDS runtime properties, DOD certificates, or S/MIME security programs. The App Loader won't let you delete anything you have to have, like the phone, so you're safe with it. You can always put stuff back.
    08-06-08 08:39 AM
    You are at the low end of the safe region and should consider deleting some modules you don't need. You almost certainly don't need the MDS runtime properties, DOD certificates, or S/MIME security programs. The App Loader won't let you delete anything you have to have, like the phone, so you're safe with it. You can always put stuff back.
    Okay thank you so much for your help! I am reading the stoner memory post now and its very helpful and explains the programs so I will be able to figure out if I need them so I can delete apps. && yes despite all the warnings I did go through with it ... I'd like to consider myself somewhat "computer savvy" lol
    Last edited by pinkberry8120; 08-06-08 at 09:03 AM.
    08-06-08 08:46 AM
    1) You want to look at "File Free"

2) You do not need the DOD certs, MDS, etc. And you cannot use Maps without a data plan!!

3) Check out my WiFi guide (link in my signature) to get up and running on your WiFi network!!

I think that covers all of the bases...

*EDIT* : For #2 you do not need the attachment service either, since you do not have a data plan and will not be receiving BIS email with attachments!!
    08-06-08 08:52 AM
    1) You want to look at "File Free"

2) You do not need the DOD certs, MDS, etc. And you cannot use Maps without a data plan!!

3) Check out my WiFi guide (link in my signature) to get up and running on your WiFi network!!

I think that covers all of the bases...

*EDIT* : For #2 you do not need the attachment service either, since you do not have a data plan and will not be receiving BIS email with attachments!!
    Okay thank you! Soo what if I do get my Wi-Fi working and I manage to get online and check my email that way.. then wouldn't I need the attachments app for attached items? I'm thinking of the Wi-Fi set up as if I can just connect to the internet and get online like a computer and check things/do stuff when I have signal. I've never used a Wi-Fi phone before, and I have rarely used cell phone internet in the past except to download games! But I did just delete the DOD certificates and MDS stuff. That stinks that I cant use the maps without a GPS enabled phone I guess I will be deleting those next.. too bad you can't just get online through the Wi-Fi and use them or something. I got the Wi-Fi phone so I could try and get around not having a data plan so that I could get online if I'm in wireless network range (which is always for the most part). Guess I just need to work on fixing that now so I can figure it out more.
    08-06-08 09:00 AM
    Okay thank you! Soo what if I do get my Wi-Fi working and I manage to get online and check my email that way.. then wouldn't I need the attachments app for attached items? I'm thinking of the Wi-Fi set up as if I can just connect to the internet and get online like a computer and check things/do stuff when I have signal. I've never used a Wi-Fi phone before, and I have rarely used cell phone internet in the past except to download games! But I did just delete the DOD certificates and MDS stuff. That stinks that I cant use the maps without a GPS enabled phone I guess I will be deleting those next.. too bad you can't just get online through the Wi-Fi and use them or something. I got the Wi-Fi phone so I could try and get around not having a data plan so that I could get online if I'm in wireless network range (which is always for the most part). Guess I just need to work on fixing that now so I can figure it out more.
    You do not need the attachment services when you are checking your mail through the Browser, etc. That is only used in the BlackBerry BIS email to manage attachments and allow you to view them, etc.

Like others have said, your BlackBerry functionality is limited without a data plan and you cannot take advantage of all the features available!

Just take some time to check out my WiFi guide and it will get you off on the right foot... get you connected and link you to some third party apps that work on "WiFi only". Believe me, I speak from experience and I used to run "WiFi only" on my Curve... you can find different alternatives to use for WiFi only, but your choices are very limited!! I decided to add the email addon to my line because it makes the WiFi alternative much more complete. Now I can get BIS email and browse on WiFi.

Be sure to remember that when browsing on WiFi to navigate to mobile-oriented sites and WAP sites (such as wap.crackberry.com and m.google.com)

Many websites have mobile versions now and they are a lot more Berry friendly and load quicker!!

Good luck

*EDIT* : O yeah, and remember when you are following Stoner's Guide that the changes you make in AppLoader and the Java folder are not actually applied until you connect your Berry and run AppLoader, which will load the modified version of the OS onto your device!!
    08-06-08 09:08 AM
    OKay So I went ahead and did some stuff from the stoner memory guide "slightly more difficult". I cut the BB themes that it said it was okay to delete and pasted them into a deleted items folder on my computer. I also cut out the push to talk for att files. Then I closed the folder and I opened the the DM and nothing started automatically so I opened the app loader, went to add/remove programs, i didn't change anything and I just clicked NEXT. The only thing that it said needed changing was the themes and it showed those files to be removed but it didn't show the 2 files that I removed for the Push to talk app. I'm hoping it did that automatically but it didn't say anything about those two files. I think it did because I don't have the big "P" icon on my menu for the push to talk. So I now have for my file free 15,005,916 bytes and for file total 54,132,736 bytes. I'm hoping that is better than what I had before and I won't loose any information randomly?
    08-06-08 09:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD