I recently downloaded the new BB-OS on my Curve and really like it. Tried to upgrade my wife's 8100 Pearl but the app loader states that it already has the most up to date software (which I know isn't correct). BB website states that the new OS is compatible with the 8100. Anyone know how to get around this glitch?

Thanks!!
    01-24-09 08:53 PM
    Backup the phone, use JL_CMDER to completely wipe it, and
    then try loading the OS
    01-24-09 09:03 PM
    do you run the command?

Thanks!
    01-24-09 09:17 PM
    JL_Cmder Javaloader Utility

Download and install this program. It is fairly self-explanatory
    01-25-09 12:00 AM
    Thanks so much for your help so far.
    Downloaded this utility and it worked great at wiping my wife's 8100. After wipe, went to BB website and clicked update and again the app loader said that it already had the latest software. Funny, since there is NO software on it now. Any suggestions?
    01-25-09 12:25 AM
    Can't get new OS loaded (even tried the sticky thread in this forum to no avail). Now I have a phone that is wiped clean and unusable. When I try to restore from the back-up file that I created before the wipe - desktop Manager says there is no connection so I can't restore. Now what?
    01-25-09 12:58 AM
    Are you trying to load the Curve OS on your Pearl?
    01-25-09 01:56 AM
    Well - I had downloaded the new OS for the Pearl, but maybe the Curve OS software is conflicting with it (since I had downloaded it prior to the Pearl OS). I am trying this on my other computer now.
    01-25-09 02:50 AM
    Wiping back to JVM 507 is not necessary. The install process does this anyway because the Loader.exe program issues the command loader/nojvm which erases any vestige of the OS and will, if left alone display JVN Error 507 i.e. No OS installed.
    01-25-09 04:06 AM
    everest29, I'd listen to AG, about as knowledgeable as you'll get at Crackberry!
    You've got 3 threads going on this issue, WTF?
    01-25-09 04:13 AM
    Problem fixed - the issue was due to the fact that I have a Curve and a Pearl (my Wife's phone). I had previously updated my curve to the new 4.5 OS and that file was still on my PC. Even though I did indeed download and install the Pearl version of 4.5 to upgrade my wife's Pearl, for some reason there was some sort of conflict. The fix? I downloaded BB-DM and Pearl 4.5 OS to my other PC that has never had any BB software downloaded on it before, and then completed the following steps:

FYI this will work for any handheld that constantly initializes.. aka the hourglass of doom.

1. Install the desktop software.
    2. Install the handheld software. (If it is a non Vendor software.. exp. T-Mobile. search and delete the "vendor.xml" file.)
    3. Pull the battery out of your device.
    4. With the battery out connect the device to the computer.
    5. Go to Options and select "connection settings"
    6. Select USB PIN this may take a few moments since there is no battery in the device. you might even have to select detect device in some rare cases.
    7. Select the application loader icon.
    8. Select all software you want installed.
    9. Proceed to the end portion untill you see the "Finish" button.
    10. Very IMPORTANT. do not hit the finish button, instead select the ADVANCED button.
    11. Make sure both boxes are checked.
    12. Proceed until it asks you if you want to automatically back up and restore. Select DO NOT AUTOMATICALLY BACK UP MY HANDHELD.
    13. Once the process starts. take care not to bump out the cord and re-insert the battery. Again on some rare occasions you might have to wait until it finishes saying connect to insert the battery.

THIS MAY FAIL THE FIRST OR SECOND TIME DONT WORRY JUST KEEP TRYING.

If you do not get it by the 3rd time.. download the Blackberry java developers kit and install it. once installed find the javaloader.exe file and move it into the c:\ directory

Once it is under the c:\, go to start then run and type. cmd.exe

After the command prompt apears type in "c:\javaloader -usb wipe" to wipe the handheld

*The reason I have highlighted Step 13 is that this is very important to do BEFORE the DM tries to re-start your device because it WILL NOT re-intialize your device IF THE BATTERY IS NOT IN YOUR DEVICE.
    01-25-09 10:50 AM
    i got an 8100 as well. im kinda afraid to do this 4.5 upgrade cause....well, i dont want to mess up my phone. how do i have a for sure reliable way that i can put the 4.5 curve upgrade on my 8100 pearl?. the steps above?. is that how?. idk!!! ughhhh!!!!!
    01-31-09 11:59 AM
    You put the PEARL 8100 upgrade on your pearl 8100. Otherwise you will fubar your phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-09 12:03 PM
    So what your saying is i can only upgrade to 4.2?. cause that's all that is shown on the upgrades. and everest made it sound as if i can upgrade to 4.5 on the 8100. unless hes just stupid.
    01-31-09 12:11 PM
    someone help please i need instructions here. im not very good at this and i want the 4.5 on my phone. bigbadwolf i noticed you have it showing you got 4.5 on your phone. how did you do it?. PLEASE!!!
    01-31-09 12:30 PM
    Its the first thread on this forum, but be careful and follow the instructions. If your not good with computers you can screw things up. Spend some time reading through the tips section first, and get familiar with your phone, and how to use the forums.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-09 01:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD