My wife has a Pearl 8130 from Verizon. She took her phone into the Verizon store and had the text message and e-mail icons that display at the very top not display any more. We updated her phone with the latest version of the blackberry software 4.5 last night and now those icons are displaying again.

We called Verizon and they dont seem to know how to disable those icons now. I went through two separate tech support people when I finally decided to just make a post here hoping someone has seen t his problem before and could help us. We have spent all morning reading these forums looking for how to turn these icons off with no luck.
    11-08-08 01:09 PM
    what are the icons?
    11-08-08 01:15 PM
    what are the icons?
    The icons I am talking about are the ones which look like a windows folder with a red star at the top. The icons show up near the date and time along with the other icons like signal strength, battery life, etc. She gets those any time she gets a new text message or e-mail.
    11-08-08 01:24 PM
    open the messages folder and read the messages.
    11-08-08 01:28 PM
    Open messages > menu > options > general > display new message indicator > no
    11-08-08 01:30 PM
    Open the messages folder, press the menu key, select general, scroll to show new message indicator, and select no.
    11-08-08 01:30 PM

Touche!! The CB master, quicker on the draw than the Genius!!

LOL
    11-08-08 01:31 PM
    Open the messages folder, press the menu key, select general, scroll to show new message indicator, and select no.
    Why in the world would you not want to know you have messages?
    11-08-08 01:32 PM
    Good question..
    11-08-08 01:33 PM
    Well, it would still notify you with the selected tone and LED, but not show the indicator.
    11-08-08 01:36 PM
    Okay maybe I am missing something then because I tried that and I see that icon goes away. However to make this change, I need to change the message count from none to unread before this option will show up and display new message indicator so I can change it to no.

When I do that, it show all the messages she has received both text and emails, which now show 18 with a folder next to it. When I sent her a text message from my blackberry, a new folder icon shows up with a 1 next to it. She said she doesnt want to see any of those icons at the top since the icon folder on the main screen already indicates she has a text message/e-mail.
    11-08-08 01:37 PM
    Why in the world would you not want to know you have messages?
    The led light blinks red and the main menu icon indicates she has a new message so having those icons show up also is over kill and something she doesnt want to see.
    11-08-08 01:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD