Hi all,

I have just successfully applied firmware v4.3.0.164 to two Blackberry 8110 devices.

I have a third 8110 that has been having some strange issues (alarm only works some of the time, email self erases, text messages queue and only come through in large batches, etc). I thought a firmware update may help. Unlike the first two firmware updates when the new version of firmware was autodetected by Desktop Manager, on the third device it does not autodetect. I have verified that the firmware on the BB 8110 is older than the firmware I am trying to upgrade to.

My question is, do you think that this demonstrated that the device is faulty and I should have it replaced, or is there another "trick" I can do to force a firmware upgrade?

Thanks in advance!
    05-19-08 05:49 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry and I am sorry to hear that you are having problems.

You obviously know more than a bit about Blackberrys and uprading and have clearly deleted Vendor.xml.

I am not sure if your phone is faulty. Did it work before the new OS was installed?

It might be worth using JL_Cmder to wipe the phone back to error 507 and then re-install.

You could also try putting an older version of the OS on the phone to see what that does. I have had phones that do not like running certain versions of the OS.

If you need hep, we are here.
    05-19-08 07:09 AM
    Thanks Pete, I have been trolling on this board since inception and for the first time couldn't find a solution already in place so had to post =)

The device has been acting up since it arrived new from Vodafone and has the factory firmware revision.

I guess what I am really asking is, can I upgrade the firmware on a Blackberry any other way other than depending on Desktop Manager to autodetect there is a newer version available when I connect it to the USB cable?#

I did delete the vendor.xml but I can't even get to the stage to install the firmware.

Thanks again.
    05-19-08 07:33 AM
    The only way to detect a difference between the phone's OS and the OS you installed on your PC's hard disk is via the Loader.exe program which is a part of Desktop Manager.

You conect the USB cable with DM running and it looks at the phone and what it has installed on disk in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files. It then checks Vendor.xml to see if the version it has matches the carrier information with the carrier information in the phone. If yes, it offfers you the chance to upgrade.

There has to be a way to decide and DM is the vehicle.

Which OS are you installing? Is it 8110-v4.3.0.93_P2.6.0.53 ?

You obviously know quite a bit and you say that you have just upgraded 3 phones. Are you in the phone business? I don't mind at all. I'd just like to know.

Cheers - Pete
    Last edited by Pete6; 05-19-08 at 08:11 AM.
    05-19-08 08:04 AM
    Hi again,

It looks like I was getting confused with the application version and the package version so thought I was actually installing 4.3.0.164.
    --------
    BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.3.0.164 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.3.0.164
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 4.3.0.93
    Software Platform: 2.6.0.53
    File name: 8110M_PBr4.3.0_rel164_PL2.6.0.53_A4.3.0.93_Rogers. exe
    File size: 110.77MB
    ----------

In fact it already has the latest version so that explains why it doesnt update.

I am an IT manager with a company and we have about 200 employees with Blackberries so I get fairly familiar with them. Thanks for your assistance Pete - I will just send it back to vodafone.
    05-20-08 05:32 AM
    Nik, The reason I asked is that I figured that you were in the IT biz. Me too. You should sent it back. It's under warranty, and they should replace it.
    05-20-08 06:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD