My wife bought a refurbed BB 8100 on Craigslist - yes! First mistake! She can make calls and send Text Msgs but has no browser icons. Another clue is the phone displays edge in small letters - no caps. We DO have the proper data acct activated through ATT.

I know this has been discussed and I have looked all the posts I could find but cannot fix it. Here is what I have done so far:

1) Went to Blackberry att service center online with my PC and pushed service books. It said they were sent successfully - NOT!
    2) Tried to Register Host Routing table - remains empty
    3) Downloaded and installed latest mobile SW for the BB completely wiping all apps and sw before new install. Performed hard reset. No change.
    4) 4 hours on the phone with ATT - worthless!
    5) 1 hour on phone with BB tech - they blamed ATT - worthless!

Out of ideas folks and $170!!!!! Please. Any help appreciated!!!
    03-03-08 06:21 PM
    Most likely an issue with AT&T not having your account provisioned for the data plan would be my guess. Lowercase edge means you are in an enhanced data services area but for one reason or another aren't being allowed to use the enhanced data services. You should give at&t a call back and have them triple check your account.
    03-03-08 06:34 PM
    update to the newest firmware that whats i did now i have the service books!
    03-04-08 07:33 AM
    Manage Connections-Mobile Network Options-Menu-Start Provisioning
    your 1x (signal) should now be 1X or 1XEV

Then Options -Advanced Options- Host Routing Table- Menu- Register Now
    03-04-08 07:44 AM
    Sunkast - Thanks but ATT folks are no help

msmith 1991 - Is the Firmware different from the sw for the blackberry? Where can I find latest firmware if it is - BB site???

OregonBerry - I understand "Options -Advanced Options- Host Routing Table- Menu- Register Now" but I cannot find or do not understand the "Manage Connections-Mobile Network Options-Menu-Start Provisioning". Can you help me out a little more on that?

Thanks for the replies so far folks.
    03-04-08 07:14 PM
    Sunkast - Thanks but ATT folks are no help

msmith 1991 - Is the Firmware different from the sw for the blackberry? Where can I find latest firmware if it is - BB site???

OregonBerry - I understand "Options -Advanced Options- Host Routing Table- Menu- Register Now" but I cannot find or do not understand the "Manage Connections-Mobile Network Options-Menu-Start Provisioning". Can you help me out a little more on that?

Thanks for the replies so far folks.
    the latest update is 4.2.1.109...
    heres the link http://forums.crackberry.com/f5/newe...1-109-a-18394/
    make sure you follow the directions
    then after you install you should have the browser icon and service books.
    my edge is still lowercased but i dont have a data plan
    03-04-08 11:32 PM
    but am now able to get on the internet and send mms stuff i couldnt do before! that made me mad that i adjusted to but now all is fine FOR NOW!!!! (EVIL LAUGH)
    03-04-08 11:35 PM
    welp att finaly caught on now i only have gsm! but anyway cant wait to april cause thats when i get mah att contracted which means data plan
    03-05-08 10:53 PM
    msmith1991: I reloaded the sw on the unit for the 4th time - this time deleting the vendor.xml file and I got the browser back. This time though I LOST MY SMS PHONE ICON though!

We subscribe to the browser package at $30.00 a month so I do not know why I should have had to "hack" the install to make it work.

At least now we can call ATT and show them it IS possible to get it to work and they are probably at fault. I will update as soon as I get some more info. I hope this saves others some aggrevation in the future.
    03-06-08 11:56 AM
    home screen>menu key>show all..
    that should your sms icon thingy
    well im back to edge i guess it was a data outage or something!
    still sending pics and using internet!
    03-07-08 11:18 PM
    Make sure your data is turned on.

Options>mobile network
    03-09-08 03:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD