After seeing and trying out the flip, I'm having second thoughts. Not about the functionality. I even like the recessed trackball. It's just that in comparison to my Razr, the build doesn't seem like very high quality. For a $349 list phone, it just feels cheap. When it's closed the hinge seems to have a lot of side-to-side play. Both screens looks good but, with the overall feeling that it's a cheaply made phone, I'm afraid the outer screen will look really bad in a short period of time. I still like the looks and I really want this phone. But I don't want to invest in something that I will have to replace in a matter of months. And I need a phone now so I can't wait until there are long-term user reviews. Can somebody say something that will erase my fears? I want this phone because it's the only BB that works for me because I have to carry my phone in my pocket.
    10-13-08 06:26 PM
    I had the same feeling at first but, I know the BB name and I trust the manufacture. Anyways, light plastics have come a long way and as far as the hinges, I don't see too much movement in mine.

The only issues (so far and hopefully the only ones) I have are:
    1. The SIM card sticks out and the battery rubs up against it. I don't do too many battery pulls so, this might be moot for me.
    2. The microUSB...I don't know what the RIM designers were thinking here. I have probably 10-12 different miniUSB chargers (AC, DC and USB) and now I have to re-stock. What gives?

Other than that, I'm totally impressed with this BB and highly reccomend it.
    10-13-08 06:41 PM
    I want this phone because it's the only BB that works for me because I have to carry my phone in my pocket.
    Well, I suppose you could carry around an 8100 series in your pocket, but I didn't want to deal with a keyguard or busted buttons. Yeah the phone is light, but the build seems decent. If you are that worried about it lasting, you can always do what I did, and pony up the extra six bucks for equipment protection.
    10-13-08 08:04 PM
    After seeing and trying out the flip, I'm having second thoughts. Not about the functionality. I even like the recessed trackball. It's just that in comparison to my Razr, the build doesn't seem like very high quality. For a $349 list phone, it just feels cheap. When it's closed the hinge seems to have a lot of side-to-side play. Both screens looks good but, with the overall feeling that it's a cheaply made phone, I'm afraid the outer screen will look really bad in a short period of time. I still like the looks and I really want this phone. But I don't want to invest in something that I will have to replace in a matter of months. And I need a phone now so I can't wait until there are long-term user reviews. Can somebody say something that will erase my fears? I want this phone because it's the only BB that works for me because I have to carry my phone in my pocket.
    Don't equate "light" to "cheap", the Flip I bought is well built. But, it is light as in my review. My hinges don't have any play at all, they are VERY tight. Also, there is no way to be 100% sure the phone won't break or scratch. Just take care of it. I don't toss my phone around and when I'm not using it it's in the case/pouch.

If you're that worried then I wouldn't get it. But, to be honest when has RIM ever build something that broke easily? Look at what they are doing with the Bold? They've pushed back launch so many times because they want quality. You can't say that about many other companies. Most would have launched the Bold already and just dealt with the problems and complaints.
    10-13-08 08:28 PM
    BB > Razor lol

BlackBerry is better than a razor but with any phone you should insure it.
    10-13-08 08:42 PM
    BB > Razor lol

BlackBerry is better than a razor but with any phone you should insure it.
    Ok, I know the Razr doesn't compare to a BB. But I've had mine for two years and it just recently started acting up. But regardless, the build of the Razr feels solid. Even after two years and multiple drops there is very little play in the hinge. You really have to apply pressure. Perhaps the BB Flip that I tested in the store just had problems.

To the rest of you, thanks. I'll think it over tonight and decide one way or the other tomorrow. I'm leaning to buying it.
    10-13-08 09:30 PM
    i am gonna go take a look at it tomorrow after work...
    10-13-08 09:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD