Someone will know what's up here, but I'm thinking that my Pearl is either Demonically possessed or has a virus... it will randomly open whichever icon is highlighted, if I open my messages to text it will try to send it immediately (it usually types "p" first for some reason), and if I'm on a call, it opens the Menu option and either Mutes, Holds, or Ends the call at random! Seems like the Menu, Enter, and other keys randomly decide to activate. I asking you all before I hire a Priest. What can I do, my Pearl's out of warranty!
    04-10-08 08:31 AM
    There are no viruses for bb. Try a battery pull or youn may have to re install your os

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-08 08:36 AM
    Check what your sensitivity level is set to (Option - screen/keyboard). Maybe you messed with th settings accidentally. Other than that like Blueberry suggests do a battery pull...fixes 80% of the BB issues
    04-10-08 10:12 AM
    Hahaha....sorry, that whole hire a priest thing cracked me up. Follow the advice with the battery pull and good luck.

Also, you might want to consider loading SoftReset onto it....it is basically a battery pull without physically pulling the battery.
    04-10-08 10:16 AM
    Well if you don't mind doing all the finger work you can also do an alt-ctrl(Shift aA)-del (like you do in the PC

04-10-08 10:44 AM
    You didn't get it wet at some point did you?
    04-10-08 12:56 PM
    Thank you everybody! I haven't gotten it wet yet, downloaded new os yesterday, have been pulling the battery so much that now I have arthritis in my hand, and the fool thing is still doing it. Oh, and sensitivity is at 50.
    04-10-08 04:51 PM
    Every crack head says a virus does not exist but you are the only one with a problem like mine. Except for me after 9 pm every night if i try to type anything using the left half of the key board I just get the word "hi" over and over and over. Tried the battery, soft restart, store, online, tech support, they all say it can not happen but yet it does. The only choose is to through it in the toilet and start over, but that seems stupid. There has to be an answer
    08-25-08 05:06 PM
    I think the best solution is a new device. I have an 8100 and I just lost everything on mine because it had a "virus." So yes, it can get one. I think these Pearls had lots of issues and they have tried to fix them. I have had 2 replacements due to manufacture defects.

I can't wait for the Javelin to launch. *sighs*
    08-25-08 05:55 PM
    I think the best solution is a new device. I have an 8100 and I just lost everything on mine because it had a "virus." So yes, it can get one. I think these Pearls had lots of issues and they have tried to fix them. I have had 2 replacements due to manufacture defects.

I can't wait for the Javelin to launch. *sighs*
    I'm sorry you lost your information. That is certainly possible. There are a few ways that can happen. Manufacturing defects is certainly one of them. But there are no BlackBerry viruses. I'm not trying to give you a hard time. You lost your stuff. You have a right to be mad. But blaming a non-existent virus for whatever happened to your Pearl just leaves you open to the same thing happening again. We possibly can help you figure it out, if you care to tell us what the symptoms were and what happened.
    08-25-08 06:39 PM
    It doesn't really matter what it was. The fact is I lost everything. When I talked to a rep at RIM he pretty much told me it was a virus. My phone was fine one moment then 10 minutes later the white screen and hourglass flashed then it went black and the red light flashed. This continued for at least 1 day. Nothing I did would help.
    08-26-08 11:05 AM
    If that happens again with your new BlackBerry, and it probably won't, this process will probably fix it: http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/.

I'm sorry you lost everything, and your rep didn't know how to help you. In this case, if you didn't have a backup, you would still have lost everything, but you could have recovered your device. With this procedure and a current backup, you would not lose anything.
    08-26-08 01:11 PM
    Thanks. I will definitely keep this info handy.
    08-26-08 01:41 PM
    I think that my phone's problem is sensitivity to humidity, not a virus. It only acts like it's demonically possessed when it's in a humid environment, otherwise it's fine. Other than getting a new phone, is there anything that I can replace/do to cure a humidity issue?
    08-28-08 08:59 AM
    You can try drying it out by sealing it in a container of dry rice for a couple of days. I use my 8830 in Cocoa Beach, FL, where the humidity is pretty high, without a problem.

08-28-08 11:57 AM
    I would try the os reinstall. Crazy things happened to me like that when I was on the 7100i I wiped it clean and started over.

08-28-08 01:29 PM

I really dont know what is up with my bb 8100... it first happened last thursday and its happening right now. I cant type, menu opens without touching anything, i make a call and it goes, mute, no mute, then disconnected, the it connects again.. its awful... im restoring factory settings and installing 4.5 OS again. i've pulled out the battery like a hundred times and the day that first happend went to sleep with the battery out, put it again the next morning, but now 4 days later the madness started all over again

Hope it works, I'll let you know.
    10-06-08 04:24 PM
    I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I have been frustrated with the pearl for about 6 months now. My original phone randomly began calling people (and no, it wasn't because I left it in my purse unlocked), muting during a call, editing my contacts by itself and sending text messages in the middle of me typing them.

I went to the store and had to go through the long, drawn out process of talking to customer service, doing a soft and hard reset (not to mention losing all of my contacts). I was sent a new phone, purchased a new battery and used a new SIM card that the store gave me and I still had the same problems right off the bat!

I am using the replacement phone right now and constantly stressed if my phone is going to even let me send a complete text message, drop a call or mute in the middle of an important business call. It is absolutely embarrasing and ridiculous that I am paying so much a month for this.
    10-19-08 11:49 PM
    My co-worker has an 8830 that does some weird stuff also. I compared her versions and applications with mine - and they are similar.

Her Blackberry will redial the last number if she does not lock it. She often sets it on her table or nightstand with nothing touching it.

Also, she is reporting that the Blackberry phone works fine - except when she is talking to her son. She will hear some tones and get a mute message on her screen - which she cancels. Her son does wears a Bluetooth headset.

Any ideas what to do look for?
    11-17-08 12:51 PM
    I'm sorry you lost your information. That is certainly possible. There are a few ways that can happen. Manufacturing defects is certainly one of them. But there are no BlackBerry viruses. I'm not trying to give you a hard time. You lost your stuff. You have a right to be mad. But blaming a non-existent virus for whatever happened to your Pearl just leaves you open to the same thing happening again. We possibly can help you figure it out, if you care to tell us what the symptoms were and what happened.
    Yeah and MAC's have never been hacked and given virus's either have they?????
    ANYTHING can get a bug in it. Regardless of who makes it.
    11-18-08 06:50 AM
    It's impossible to prove that something does not exist. It is very easy to prove it does. As of this writing, no one has demonstrated a BlackBerry virus. Is it possible? Perhaps. But until someone proves one exists, you don't do anyone any favors by suggesting that their user mistakes, buggy applications, and hardware faults are really the result of some mysterious malware. As I noted above, you have to know what the problem is to have a chance to fix it. Blaming it on a virus stops that process and virtually guarantees you'll continue to have problems.
    11-18-08 09:02 AM
    Recently one of my friends have been experiencing this.
    His Curve 8300 is old though. When he explained it to me I didn't really focus too much on the issue, then last night he "showed" me what he was talking about.
    His phone looked possessed...LOL.
    No one was touching it and it just started to display menus, switching screens, etc. To me the only explanation is that the main switchboard has gone bad or something of that effect.
    These things DO happen. It is an electronic device after all....
    11-19-08 08:17 AM
    One word. Germlins.

11-20-08 12:16 AM
    Lol @ gregerator.
    11-20-08 10:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD