I am considering becoming a crackberry fiend.

My main concern is this:

If I buy a Blackberry Pearl (still debating model), will I be able to retain my phone number and current monthly plan (few months still left in my 2 yr. agreement)

I have the White (with orange stripe) 64k Cingular SIM chip in my Razr (sucks!) as of now.

Thanks for any info!
    02-25-08 12:49 AM
    There's no reason you can't keep your old number, especially if you're staying with ATT/Cingular. But many numbers are portable now form one carrier to another.

As for your plan, you may be able to keep the voice plan you're currently on and then have to add a data plan to be able to email and surf the web.
    02-25-08 01:01 AM
    Yeah, I was hoping they would allow me to add a feature to my existing monthly (why not?? they let you upgrade texts and other media features)

Are you sure I could keep my number though? It isn't attached to my SIM card? (Is it possible to get a 1 gig chip for the Pearl?)

Thanks for your quick reply!
    02-25-08 01:05 AM
    They should be able to switch your number over without any problems.

I have a 1GB media card for the Pearl and it works great.
    02-25-08 01:07 AM
    You can keep your number. You will need a new SIM card. The one you are using is out dated. They will program your phone number to the new SIM card.
    02-25-08 01:08 AM
    Great, I will probably settle for the 1gig media (looking forward to merging my music and phone devices!)

Hopefully they don't rape me on the cost of a new SIM chip. . anyone know what I should expect? $25-$50?
    02-25-08 01:14 AM
    I received a new SIM card at no charge through the local ATT store
    02-25-08 01:20 AM
    As a side note. If you have a couple of months to go with your current phone you may want to wait. BB has a new device which should be released hopefully in the next couple of months. It may be worth the wait from what we are hearing.

There is nothing worse then signing a new 2 year contract for an older model and then seeing a brand new shiny BB with better features come out a month later. If your not completely addicted already, you will be and you will want the new one.
    02-25-08 01:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD