I have a pearl 8110 i believe the os version is 4.3. I dropped it in water but recovered it and dried it out quickly. Everything works fine except the usb port. When i plug it into my computer i get "usb device not recognized" and something like " usb device has malfuncitioned". The wall charger works usually but after attempting to connect to the computer the wall charger will not work anymore untill i remove and replace the battery then it works fine again. I have 2 other pearl 8110's in the house. My wifes and kids. Each of them work fine on the same computer so i know it is not the desktop manager software or the cable or the drivers or anything because the other 2 phones work fine. Since this only started after the drop in the water i assume that this is the cause.

OK since nobody seems to know anything about the usb port let me attack this from a different angle...
    Can i connect to the desktop manager software via bluetooth??
    02-18-09 02:46 PM
    Saw your other thread. What are you trying to accomplish by connecting the bb to pc via bluetooth? You can't charge via bluetooth.... to answer your question on the USB port, from what I've seen it's pretty difficult to replace those, you may need a replacement device. Do you have insurance? Tho not sure if water damage is covered on insurance...
    02-18-09 03:37 PM
    Saw your other thread. What are you trying to accomplish by connecting the bb to pc via bluetooth? You can't charge via bluetooth....
    Tesla would be disappointed to hear that we still don't have wireless power transmission. Sadly its true though, no charging through Bluetooth.

Maybe on Bluetooth 3? We could only hope...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-09 04:35 PM
    hahaha Love the Tesla point. I am an Electrician.

No i am not trying to charge. I can still charge via the wall charger. The only time the wall charger stops working is after i attempt to connect to desktop manager via usb. I then have to remove and replace the battery before the wall charger will work again.

What i am trying to do is connect to the desktop manager. I want the newer version of google maps with the street view and the ota download wont work unless i remove the previous version first which i cannot do without the desktop manager. I also have been working on a theme in plazmic and want to put it on my phone. that's the reason for the need for the usb port. If i could connect to the desktop manager via bluetooth this might be an option though.
    02-18-09 06:45 PM
    Interesting, you should be able to remove the old version of google maps on your Pearl - go to options, advanced, applications, highlight it and delete it there.

As for putting a theme on, for that you do need DM. Unfortunately there's no way you can connect to DM via bluetooth.

Sounds like you need a replacement device. There's no easy way to replace the USB port on one of these.
    02-19-09 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD