I've look around for an answer to this question but I can't find one. I'm assuming it's not possible, but I figure I might as well ask. Is there a setting in the Menu or something which allows you to browse the web in landscape mode?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-28-10 04:26 PM
    No it's not possible. None of the "candybar" format BBs can rotate screens.
    Only the touchscreen devices (Storm & Torch) contain the necessary accelerometers for the device to "sense" its orientation.

My biz partner has a 9100. Very sharp device.
    08-28-10 10:45 PM
    Too bad. I knew it didn't have an accelerometer, but I thought there might be an option in the setting to change it to landscape. I like how it plays videos in landscape and I think the web in landscape would be nice as well. Maybe with OS 6...

08-28-10 11:23 PM
    I'll let you keep hope alive for now�

You may already know, but in case you don't there are some settings you should have in your Browser Options to make it more "portrait-friendly."

In your Browser, press MENU (ie BB button) and select Browser Config. Make sure Browser is set to Internet Browser and Browser ID is set to BlackBerry. I turn off Javascript too for faster page-loading. (If you ever need it for a page, clicking J will re-load that page with Javascript on.)
    Press ESC (back arrow to right of 'pad) and Save.

Now select General Properties. (This is the really important stuff) Make sure your Default View is Column. Set your Default & Min Font sizes to your liking. I think I have 9 & 7 or 8. Again click ESC to Save and ESC again back to Browser.

You'll have to press R to refresh the page with the new settings.
    If you ever want to switch a page to Page View, just clicking X toggles Column to Page View or vice versa.

But Column View is key for enjoyably viewing most pages on your size screen.

08-29-10 11:25 AM
    Might be a bit late on a reply here, but I know the Opera Mini browser has a setting to rotate the screen... at least the build for dumbphones has that option. This allows "landscape" browsing.
    09-13-10 02:43 PM
    Interesting. I don't use Opera, but it's discussed in these Forums often and I've never seen that mentioned for the BB version.

09-13-10 02:48 PM
    Yeah, I noticed there's a setting in the Bolt browser to rotate the screen as well. You can get the Bolt browser right from BB App World.
    09-13-10 02:56 PM
    Like this...
    09-13-10 08:58 PM
    Like this...
    Is that the stock browser? How'd you do it?
    09-13-10 10:40 PM
    Yes, it's stock browser. I use OS 831, sometimes will go to landscape, sometimes not. may be just a bug from OS
    09-13-10 10:51 PM
    Yes, it's stock browser. I use OS 831, sometimes will go to landscape, sometimes not. may be just a bug from OS
    Do you find browsing in landscape to be better-worse-same compared to browsing in portrait?
    09-13-10 11:01 PM
    same, nothink different. only the screen
    09-13-10 11:44 PM
    But you think it's a bug?
    09-14-10 01:08 PM
    I'm curious.. How did you do it Irsan?
    09-14-10 10:08 PM
    My 9100 spontaneously went into landscope mode with the stock browser yesterday. Once it was in landscape, I could not get it back to portrait until I pulled the battery, then it went back to portrait mode.

Weird. I don't know what caused it. The visual was a bit better on landscape mode, with more apparent real estate, but I didn't like the keys being off to the side. It's fine if you are just mousing around with the trackball, but not so great if you have to type anything.

Now that it's obviously possible, and easy to do, I expect we will see this capability in an OS upgrade down the road.
    12-19-10 11:37 PM
    I had the same error when trying to stream some audio via the Opera browser. It launched the media player in landscape mode, and then when I backed out of it, everything was in landscape - the web page, the home page, etc. - everything. Only way to correct it was with a battery pull.
    01-09-11 12:38 PM
    Mine just did this as well, I've never seen it do this before. I went to watch a video on youtube, before I selected to play the video it just went into landscape. That was before I even went to play the actual video, just hitting that page with the vid I wanted.

I tried searching for options to get back to the conventional screen and couldn't find anything. I closed the browser page and tried opening different pages on different sites, same thing. Put the phone down as I was doing something else at the time and no word of a lie without pulling the battery, turning off and on or actually changing any settings. When I had tired it again a few minutes later it was working fine.

So apparently landscape is possible theirs just no option to switch when you want it to.
    01-26-11 11:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD