I just got my 1st BB. It's a pearl 8130 and I love it. But every time I get on the internet with it my call logs are deleted? All incoming, outgoing, and missed, as well as any messages that haven't been saved. What do I do to fix it?
    01-09-09 09:30 AM
    Check this out

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

And welcome to CB!
    Last edited by resq330; 01-09-09 at 09:37 AM.
    01-09-09 09:35 AM
    It's amazing how it never fails that pretty much everyday, you see another post about how someone loses all their messages on their phone. Of course, this is because of the limited device memory provided in our Blackberries. You would think RIM or the service carriers would provide some sort of guide or other notification to the new buyer that they need to perform weekly battery pulls or soft resets to clean out the memory on their phone so that total message loss does not happen (but of course, they can't because then the phone wouldn't sell as well). Btw, the links provided to help with the memory problem are great, but to the total novice, I think it would be helpful to tell them where to go on their phone to check their remaining device memory- To the original poster, go to your Options icon (it looks like a wrench). Then select STATUS. On that page, you'll see a number next to FILE FREE. That shows you your current remaining device memory on the phone. If it gets below 12 million, you're in the red zone for a message wipe.

Back to my rant- Because of the helpful folks on this site, at least I was given guidance on how to manage the limited memory on my phone, but not everyone who buys a Blackberry would know to come here to ask for help, and will continue to run into these sort of problems. Even so, I think it is ridiculous that I have to perform soft resets or battery pulls once a week to keep my phone from going into total delete mode. I can just imagine how many times folks who work at these carriers have to deal with customers coming in complaining about why their phone lost all their messages, and wanting to return their phones because of these glitches, when they are not even glitches...just that the phone is not provided with enough memory from the get go. I mean, does it really cost RIM that much to provide a bit more device memory on their phones? At the very least, I think RIM should put a feature on the phone (sorta like a pop up reminder) that comes up on your screen when your memory gets so low that the phone's about to do a message wipe, to tell you that if you don't clean out old messages and browser cache now, etc., you will LOSE ALL YOUR MESSAGES!" Ok, rant over.
    Last edited by dknyberry; 01-09-09 at 10:20 AM.
    01-09-09 10:02 AM
    This is due to memory loss! Go to Options>Status, and check File Free status. You should have a minimum of 12,000,000 free bytes in order for your BB to function smoothly. If you're low on memory, follow the instructions on this thread to help you out.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...-memory-34633/

After you finish with the memory optimization, make sure all your media items (e.g. pics, music, video etc.) are stored on a media card. When you lose memory, your BB will start to delete the least important items to free up memory. This includes texts, emails and call logs. Try to keep an amount above or around 12,000,000 free bytes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-09 10:06 AM
    Thanks for all the help. Even the "rant". I know I'm new to CB and to blackberry in general, but I do appreciate all of the help. It's great knowing there are so many people willing to help. Thank again!
    01-09-09 08:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD