Does anyone know why this happens? (Verizon Wireless, Pearl 8130)

My call log used to work as expected for the first couple of months - showing my made/received/missed calls. Then at some point it started to get cleared out on its own.

So right now. for example, I just dialed myself from a land line. Pressed "Ignore" on the cell phone. The missed call entry shows up in the Call Log. Then some 10 minutes later I go into the Call Log and that entry is gone.

Can someone help?
    02-25-08 12:46 PM
    It means you're low on memory.

Follow this link to help clear out some memory.
    How do I free up memory on my device? - BlackBerryFAQ.com

You want to make sure you have about 10MB of free memory at any given time.
    02-25-08 12:55 PM
    Very good link posted above! Also if you loaded applications that you never use, deleting them will really help to free up memory.
    02-25-08 01:00 PM
    I already did that.

I was on the phone with Verizon tech and he guided me through the process. After that the same problem continued to happen

I use a 1Gb Media Card which has about 900Mb free.

How do I check how much free memory the device itself has?

Thank you for the link.
    02-25-08 01:11 PM
    Options>Status
    02-25-08 01:12 PM
    I don't know the short cut for the Pearl but Options>Status should take you there.
    02-25-08 01:13 PM
    I've been experiencing the same thing....
    02-25-08 02:23 PM
    Thank you all.
    I followed the instructions for freeing up memory and now things seem back to normal.

Is there a way to extend device memory?

I don't have much stuff installed, no 3rd party apps at all and not even much in terms of media. Seems really strange that i ran into memory problems this fast.
    Last edited by acherner; 02-25-08 at 04:19 PM.
    02-25-08 03:45 PM
    I already did that.

I was on the phone with Verizon tech and he guided me through the process. After that the same problem continued to happen

I use a 1Gb Media Card which has about 900Mb free.

How do I check how much free memory the device itself has?

Thank you for the link.
    The media card has nothing to do with the phone. It is for storing music, video, pictures. You have to think in computer terms. The bb has 64mb of ram, and the media card is the hard drive. (i know i know, it's just an example).
    02-25-08 04:23 PM
    Thank you all.
    I followed the instructions for freeing up memory and now things seem back to normal.

Is there a way to extend device memory?

I don't have much stuff installed, no 3rd party apps at all and not even much in terms of media. Seems really strange that i ran into memory problems this fast.
    Besides the obvious, pictures, music, ring tones that use memory when you don't have a media card, in addition to installed apps and themes, just using your phone will dingle down your memory. Think of it as RAM. Just like your computer, more things running, more things you open and close, the more memory you use. Problem is some apps, even when you close them correctly, don't return all of their share back. Hence, that is why over time, it just keeps getting lower. Even without a lot of things installed. Hope I explained this clearly. Cause lord knows, I have no idea what I'm talking about!

Guess I wasn't fast enough!
    02-25-08 04:28 PM
    When i talked to my VZW rep about it he said its a known issue and that RIM was working the issue out, and that hopefully there will be a update soon. But its unknown if it will be a RIM DL update or one that needs to be done at the store.
    02-26-08 09:11 AM
    When i talked to my VZW rep about it he said its a known issue and that RIM was working the issue out, and that hopefully there will be a update soon. But its unknown if it will be a RIM DL update or one that needs to be done at the store.
    Viper... there are a lot of us here with Verizon that were running their OS v.60 that have updated to US Cellulars OS v.97. There still are issues, but no where near as bad. So maybe when the new 4.5 OS comes out, it will be all fixed.
    02-26-08 09:19 AM
    I had this same problem with my Pearl except that it was deleting all of my texts too, but not e-mails(still don't understand that one). I took my phone into a Verizon store and they replaced it. It's not necessarily the memory. I only had mine for about 3 weeks before this started. I know I didn't have much on there. In my experience, taking your phone into Verizon generally gets the best results. Your phone is under warranty for the first year. They will fix or replace it.
    02-26-08 10:02 AM
    I just got off the for with Sprint Technical Support and they too also said this is a known issue and hope to have a fix for it. I am able to replicate this by having a large photo open(about 3mb) and gmail running. If someone tries to call my phone it will reset and clear my phone log. if I get a text,it will disappear immediately and clear the log.

I am waiting to hear back from sprint to see when the fix will be available.. I have missed important calls and may take my phone back and get the 8830 which is supposed to not have this issue.

02-26-08 12:01 PM
    I just got off the for with Sprint Technical Support and they too also said this is a known issue and hope to have a fix for it. I am able to replicate this by having a large photo open(about 3mb) and gmail running. If someone tries to call my phone it will reset and clear my phone log. if I get a text,it will disappear immediately and clear the log.

I am waiting to hear back from sprint to see when the fix will be available.. I have missed important calls and may take my phone back and get the 8830 which is supposed to not have this issue.

bogeegee... Take a read thru the links in my sig. They explain a lot.
    02-26-08 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD