Hello - I have BIS and get my work e-mail on my BB. I have web out look access. I was delighted to find out that my calendar also works and have been using it faithfully. Today, I set some appointments at work and they show on my work desktop calendar but not on my pearl. I looked at options and there is really nothing to choose from. Help!
    07-23-08 09:06 PM
    Hello - I have BIS and get my work e-mail on my BB. I have web out look access. I was delighted to find out that my calendar also works and have been using it faithfully. Today, I set some appointments at work and they show on my work desktop calendar but not on my pearl. I looked at options and there is really nothing to choose from. Help!
    This may be a dumb question, but that never stopped me before:

Are you using the cable to sync your BB with your work Outlook calendar? I don't think Outlook calendar syncs wirelessly...
    07-23-08 09:35 PM
    I didn't think so either but all my appointments are there...and have been for the past month....when I try to turn wireless synch on, there is not an option to do so....it's automatically on no.

I went into my work computer and changed one of the appointment times by one minute and sent it and accepted it and it showed om the bb. It looks like meetings I accept show, but appointments that I schedule for me (and do not invite anyone) do not show....I'm confused!
    Last edited by Miz.Michele; 07-23-08 at 09:59 PM.
    07-23-08 09:56 PM
    I didn't think so either but all my appointments are there...and have been for the past month....when I try to turn wireless synch on, there is not an option to do so....it's automatically on no.

I went into my work computer and changed one of the appointment times by one minute and sent it and accepted it and it showed om the bb. It looks like meetings I accept show, but appointments that I schedule for me (and do not invite anyone) do not show....I'm confused!
    Here's my guess:

When you change the appointment on your desktop and send it, you're sending an invitation (via email) to your BB. When you accept the invitation, it gets added to your BB calendar.

When you create a new appointment for yourself on Outlook, it doesn't send an invite. For those to get to your BB, you have to sync it using the cable. (I think wireless syncing is only available for BES users, which is why it's permanently off on your BB.)

Sound like a reasonable guess? Give me a minute, I might be able to suggest a workaround...
    07-23-08 10:05 PM
    Okay, there is a way to do it (I think) using Google magic. Google offers a application called Google Calendar Sync (I found it here: Official Google Blog: Google Calendar Sync) so that you can keep Outlook and Google Calendar synced together. Google also offers a BB program called Google Sync (that one is here: Google Mobile - Sync) which syncs your Google Calendar with your BB calendar.

By using both of these you can wirelessly sync Outlook calendar with your BB calendar. (Of course that means you'll have to set up a Google Calendar if you don't have one already.)

NOTE: If you set it up this way, then you may wind up with duplicate calendar entries when you sync your BB with Outlook using the cable. Or, you may not. It will depend on whether Outlook recognizes the events once they've been synced via GCal. You can fix this by telling BB desktop manager not to sync to your Outlook calendar.

(Even then you might get duplicate entries when you add events to your BB calendar by accepting invites sent from Outlook, since those would be added once when you accept the invite, and again by Google sync when it sees the event on your Outlook calendar. Then again, maybe they would be recognized as being the same event. Hard to tell without trying it.)

Thoughts?
    Last edited by valiantdust; 07-23-08 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Left something out
    07-23-08 10:17 PM
    Thanks so much - I was looking at the Google Sync so I am going to give it a more in depth look, the triple sync-ing is a little over my head but I think once I try it and focus, I will prevail.

(there are appointments that I've accepted at work only and they are on there, the more I look, the more I can see that my calendar is a mess)
    07-23-08 11:15 PM
    Hi again - it looks to me like I need to use something else first to synch owa with google calendar and then google will sync it to my bb. I went to calgoo but I do not understand. Do I download that app to my phone or set it up on my computer? Can I set it up on my home computer and get it to synch with owa and then use the google synch?
    07-24-08 12:13 AM
    Hi again - it looks to me like I need to use something else first to synch owa with google calendar and then google will sync it to my bb. I went to calgoo but I do not understand. Do I download that app to my phone or set it up on my computer? Can I set it up on my home computer and get it to synch with owa and then use the google synch?
    Shoot, I missed that you were on OWA rather than Outlook. The Google Calendar Sync app requires a desktop installation of Outlook. If you have one, and you can read your OWA calendar on it, you can use GCS to sync all your calendars as I described. Since your Outlook calendar and your OWA calendar always stay synced (because they are really the SAME calendar), you would then be able to add events to your OWA calendar and have them show up in GCal and in your BB.

So here's the important question: Do you ever use your Outlook calendar on a desktop installation of Outlook?
    07-24-08 10:28 AM
    I went to calgoo but I do not understand.
    Calgoo is a new thing to me, I hadn't heard of it. Looks neat from the website, could be handy, but there are other sites that do that sort of thing too.

I don't think Calgoo or other services like it will help you much since you're on OWA. OWA is tied to a Microsoft Exchange Server; it sounds like your company has one or has hired another company that does to provide those services.

When you use Outlook Web Access, your calendar, contacts, tasks, all that stuff are stored on the server itself. When you log on to OWA, you're logging on to your little area of the server. If you have a desktop installation of Outlook, it can be configured to access the server, and thus connect to your calendar and all that.

OWA lives on a secure server, and your only means of access is through your OWA or Outlook.

Neither Google Calendar Sync nor Calgoo will be able to sync directly with your OWA calendar. They can sync with Outlook, though, and Outlook can access your OWA calendar. But that requires a desktop install of Outlook, and if you don't have one, I'm afraid you're out of luck.
    07-24-08 10:38 AM
    Hello. Well I couldn't get calgoo to work. I use Plaxo for my contacts at work so I sync'ed that with the desktop work outlook calendar, then I sync'ed Plaxo with Google calendar. So far so good....and then I tried to download the google sync for Blackberry and it says my device (8120) is not supported...grrr.. At least I can go to google calendar and have accurate calendar info....but I'd sure like it even better if it integrated with my Pearl...

Thanks for the help - I appreciate it - any other ideas to get the google calendar into my bb calendar. It's been no easy task....lol

Thanks
    07-24-08 08:21 PM
    OK - I did it. I installed sync from the google application loader on my phone. So outlook sync's to Plaxo, Plaxo sync's to Google and google synch - sync's google calendar to my bb calendar.

(I could not configure the OWA but that's OK. I'm sure outlook automatically updates the OWA)

A pain to set up but it works - everything is there.

Thanks again for the help.

Michele'
    07-24-08 09:13 PM
    That's what we're here for. Glad it's working for you!

With all those sync conduits, though, you may run into some event duplication. I'm thinking that when you sync directly to Outlook via the cable, the risk of dupe events is highest. Let us know in the thread if that happens, it might be useful info for the rest of us...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-25-08 01:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD