I have a Sprint BB Pearl 8130 (but I don't think this is a Pearl-specific problem). I am using the Google Sync utility to sync my BB calendar with my Google calendars. My Google calendar retains all of my history, but my BB calendar is deleting events that are over a week old. I am not sure if this is a configuration in the Calendar or in the sync utility or what, but I can't find that setting anywhere. I'd like to keep more of my history if at all possible.

Any ideas what is going on and how to fix it? Thanks!
    07-07-08 09:57 AM
    Try going to Calender-options-keep appointments. It should allow you to change the amount of time your appointments are kept on your BB. You might also want to see how much free memory you have as that could be part of your problem. When your bb is low on memory it will start deleting things. To check memory go to Options-status. You should have at least 12mb to have a good memory.
    07-07-08 10:09 AM
    This is really annoying when the BB starts deleting that important stuff when you're low on memory. Is there any way to set up an alert before it does this?

I would love to have the option of taking care of the memory issue before it deletes important appointments and emails!
    07-07-08 10:22 AM
    I don't know of any alerts. Someone with more knowledge than I do may know of something. I just check my memory status at least once a day. I am compulsive in that way.
    07-07-08 10:24 AM
    This is really annoying when the BB starts deleting that important stuff when you're low on memory. Is there any way to set up an alert before it does this?

I would love to have the option of taking care of the memory issue before it deletes important appointments and emails!
    There are no alert programs that I know of, and such a program would just use memory too. But you can take care of the memory issue. Look for the post by Stoner on how to maximize your memory. I'm posting from wap, or I'd give you the link. But it's easy to find. Do his steps and you'll be a long way toward solving your memory issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-08 10:33 AM
    Calendar-Options-Keep Appointments is set to Forever, so that's not the problem.

Options-Status-File Free is 2,214,867 bytes, or 2MB. So could that be the issue? How do I figure out what's burning up all my memory? If I check the database sizes, it says that the Total Size is 11MB, so shouldn't there be a lot more free space available?
    07-07-08 10:35 AM
    File free has to stay above 10 000 000 bytes or you will see the problem you describe. Find the Stoner procedure I ref'd above and it will guide you to increase your free memory.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-08 10:45 AM
    Definitely low memory is your problem. The first thing to do is a battery pull, next is to do what JeffH said, and go to Stoner's post on maximizing memory and John Clark's memory maximizer as well.
    07-07-08 10:47 AM
    I've pulled the battery (for a complete reset), I cleaned out a bunch of stuff based on some of the articles that I read that you guys pointed me to. And I dropped in a 2GB memory card. But my File Free is still showing 10MB (10733088 Bytes).

What am I missing? Do I need to register the memory card with the phone somewhere? How can I move content from the phone to the memory card? Would that help?
    07-10-08 03:46 PM
    What are you wanting to move to your memory card. It is actually only a media card and can only hold media, such as pictures, ringtones, videos, and music. If you have those things on your BB and want to move them I use Roxio media manager that comes with your destop manager. I know some people don't like that but I find it works just fine. You can also do a drag and drop. You need to make sure your media card is enabled for mass storage. Go to options>media card and make sure mass storage is enabled for those things.
    07-10-08 03:57 PM
    I would like to move whatever media I can to free up the 12MB of device memory that I need so that my Calendar will quit deleting old entries.

Another question: If an entry is deleted on my BB, is there any way to prevent it from deleting in Outlook when it syncs? Is there an easy way to keep the additions and updates, but not the deletes?
    07-10-08 04:08 PM
    I would like to move whatever media I can to free up the 12MB of device memory that I need so that my Calendar will quit deleting old entries.

Another question: If an entry is deleted on my BB, is there any way to prevent it from deleting in Outlook when it syncs? Is there an easy way to keep the additions and updates, but not the deletes?
    I don't know any way to delete a calendar entry on the BB and not have it delete on the PC when you sync to Outlook. You can configure one-way sync, either BB to Outlook or Outlook to BB. If you configured one-way sync, Outlook to BB, that would logically seem to keep calendar entries deleted on the BB from deleting in Outlook, but it would also keep you from syncing additions and changes.

You should also be aware that as far as Outlook is concerned, "Forever" is 13 months. I have my BB calendar set to keep appointments forever, but my PC Outlook calendar has no non-recurring appointments earlier than May 2007. Only recurring appointments go back earlier. Outlook does this, no matter how you sync.
    07-10-08 10:32 PM
    I put in a memory card, used the desktop manager tool to move a bunch of pictures over (thank you, 3BondGirls). Now I have 18MB of memory free. But entries over 1 week old are still missing. I went to the Calendar/Options and verified that Keep Appointments is set to Forever.

Any other thoughts?
    07-14-08 03:07 PM
    Jeff H- Thanks for the warning about Outlook deleting entries after 13 months. I used to have a Palm Pilot, and I used my old calendar entries to remember where I was, when, etc. Almost like a journal or diary. Any thoughts on how I can replicate that type of functionality with the BB/Outlook setup?
    07-14-08 03:09 PM
    Unfortunately I don't have any other ideas. I seem to remember someone else on this site with the same problem. His solution as I recall was to change the setting from forever to six months. He stated that that worked for him. I tried to find that post but was unsuccessful.
    07-14-08 03:49 PM
    Jeff H- Thanks for the warning about Outlook deleting entries after 13 months. I used to have a Palm Pilot, and I used my old calendar entries to remember where I was, when, etc. Almost like a journal or diary. Any thoughts on how I can replicate that type of functionality with the BB/Outlook setup?
    There was a user on the forums a couple of days ago who claimed to have 3000 calendar entries going back several years, all sync'd to Outlook. Based on that, I have to assume that my 13 month limitation is a function of my BES. I haven't been able to verify that yet. If that's the case, you probably don't have anything to worry about. You could easily prove it by creating an appointment in 2006 on your BB, syncing to Outlook, and checking to see if the appointment stays or gets deleted. Let us know what you find.
    07-14-08 03:50 PM
    I have calendar entries going back over 5 years in Outlook. So, this is not a default Outlook setting. (Possibly could be an Outlook archive setting.)

In BlackBerry Desktop Manager, Synchronize, Configuration, Calendar, Advanced Options, Date Range there is an option for Transfer All Scheduled items, only future items, or within a range of Days.
    Seems within a range of Days is the default.
    And: Appointments outside of range will be removed from the device.

I have changed mine to Transfer All Scheduled items. This works fine, but randomly (every 3 - 10 times) synch indicates it wants to delete most of the calendar items on the Blackberry. And there is more than 20,000,000 bytes free.

There was a user on the forums a couple of days ago who claimed to have 3000 calendar entries going back several years, all sync'd to Outlook. Based on that, I have to assume that my 13 month limitation is a function of my BES. I haven't been able to verify that yet. If that's the case, you probably don't have anything to worry about. You could easily prove it by creating an appointment in 2006 on your BB, syncing to Outlook, and checking to see if the appointment stays or gets deleted. Let us know what you find.
    12-11-08 10:17 PM
    I have found the best way to correct this ongoing problem of the Blackberry wanting to delete old calendar entries even after the BB setting is set to "Save Forever" and it still wants to delete entries is to do the following:
    Make sure your BB is connected to your computer and the Device Manager is recognizing your BB. (If it's set to sync when you connect, that's fine, let it sync and when it tells you it wants to delete X number of calendar entries just click "reject" and let it finish.
    Bring up your Desktop Manager and go to Organizer/Configure Settings.
    Highlight "Calendar <-> Microsoft Outlook".
    In the "Select a desktop application" screen select "Microsoft Outlook" and click next.
    In the "Synchronization options" screen select "One way sync to Device and be sure to check the "Replace all data in the target application" box.
    In the "Microsoft Outlook options for Calendar" screen select "Transfer all scheduled items" and check "Remove alarm for past items" and click next and then finish.
    Resync your BB and this will put all your old appointments from Outlook onto your BB. Once that is done, go back to the instructions above but change the option from "One way sync" back to "Two way sync" and continue to the end.
    From that point on, things should be okay! This worked for me with my BB 8530...
    Hope this helps! Good luck!
    01-14-11 01:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD