Could someone please explain me why I cannot use bb browser via Wi-Fi connection if I don't have AT&T data plan?

I was looking into getting an unlocked BB Pearl 3G but then I read somewhere that my browsing experience will be limited over Wi-Fi. How and why?

If this is correct, it seems absurd to me having the phone with wi-fi capabilities and not being able to use this feature. I was using Nokia E51 and did not even think such limitation could exist, especially on a business phone like BB Pearl.

p.s. Trying to decide between Nokia E52 and BB Pearl 3G.
    02-09-11 06:37 PM
    Use of the browser even over WiFi (and most other things that use a data connection) is controlled by Service Books on a BlackBerry device.

You won't get the Service Books without the proper data plan. That's just the way it work.

Note that AT&T requires a data plan for all smartphones and BlackBerry devices activated on their network after Sept 2009, so a data plan will be required regardless.
    lv_vl likes this.
    02-09-11 06:49 PM
    I've read somewhere that there is a workaround for service books but I am not going to go into that much trouble for something as simple as using wi-fi in a phone with built-in wi-fi capabilities.

I am aware that AT&T requires data plan for smartphones. But I have been using different smartphones, including iPhone, without data plan. I guess that may be because I still use my old Cingular SIM card and they cannot detect what phone I use.

I really wanted to go with Blackberry this time, especially with great Pearl 3G, but this "no Wi-Fi without data plan" is a major turn off :-(
    02-09-11 08:01 PM
    WiFi is not in the device in order to avoid having a data plan. WiFi is in the device to provide access to the BlackBerry data features in places where you might not be getting a good carrier signal.

BlackBerry devices work differently than other devices with respects to data.
    lv_vl likes this.
    02-09-11 08:11 PM
    Thank you for explanation. Now I have a better idea about Blackberry.

Every other Wi-Fi capable device that I've used in the past had no trouble connecting to wireless internet. And I used other services besides browsing i-net such as: google calendar syncing, VoIP using built-in SIP, Fring, Skype, internet radio, etc. Everything worked via Wi-Fi beautifully: scan for available networks, enter password if necessary, connect - done! Then those wi-fi access points were stored and next time I was around the same signal - the phone connected right away. That's how Nokia E51 and E75 worked for me. Now I really appreciate those features and begin to realize how E-series phones are truly business phones. Had no trouble using them in US or overseas - insert local SIM and you are good to go.
    02-09-11 08:26 PM
    I have a data plan on this phone but the one i had before (last year) the older Pearl (8120) did not have a data plan and i was able to brows the net at wifi hot spots with no problem. I just had to fiddle with the settings till i got it right. I'm not saying it's the same with this phone but it's worth checking into.
    lv_vl likes this.
    02-10-11 09:42 PM
    lv_vl,

AT&T does IMEI sweeps. If they detect a smartphone in use, they automatically add the most expensive data plan, whether one wants it or not.
    02-10-11 10:51 PM
    AT&T does IMEI sweeps. If they detect a smartphone in use, they automatically add the most expensive data plan, whether one wants it or not.
    Do you have a link to official information about this?
    02-10-11 10:56 PM
    Do you have a link to official information about this?
    From their site: "6.3 What Are The Voice And Data Plan Requirements? Print this section | Print this page
    A voice plan is required on all voice-capable Devices, unless specifically noted otherwise in the terms governing your plan.

An eligible tiered pricing data plan is required for certain Devices, including iPhones and other designated Smartphones. Eligible voice and tiered pricing data plans cover voice and data usage in the U.S. and do not cover International voice and data usage and charges. If it is determined that you are using a voice-capable Device without a voice plan, or that you are using an iPhone or designated Smartphone without an eligible voice and tiered data plan, AT&T reserves the right to switch you to the required plan or plans and bill you the appropriate monthly fees. In the case of the tiered data plan, you will be placed on the data plan which provides you with the greatest monthly data usage allowance. If you determine that you do not require that much data usage in a month, you may request a lower data tier at a lower monthly recurring fee.

Quick Messaging device owners must subscribe to an unlimited messaging plan. If it is determined that you are using a Quick Messaging device without an unlimited messaging plan, AT&T reserves the right to add an unlimited messaging plan to your account and bill you the appropriate monthly fee."
    lv_vl likes this.
    02-10-11 11:06 PM
    Well, I was using Nokia E51 smartphone (which I bought unlocked online) since December 07 and never had to pay for data plan. It appears to me as if one buys AT&T branded phone, they may possibly detect it and add a data plan. However, I've been unlocking and using 2G/3G/3GS iPhones with my AT&T SIM and nothing happened either.
    02-10-11 11:13 PM
    Well, I was using Nokia E51 smartphone (which I bought unlocked online) since December 07 and never had to pay for data plan. It appears to me as if one buys AT&T branded phone, they may possibly detect it and add a data plan. However, I've been unlocking and using 2G/3G/3GS iPhones with my AT&T SIM and nothing happened either.
    If you were using the Nokia in 2007, that was prior to their change in terms of service.

If you add a new smartphone after September 2009, they will eventually detect it and add the data plan (some folks on the forums got the plan added the same day). Branding does not matter.
    02-10-11 11:20 PM
    Could someone please explain me why I cannot use bb browser via Wi-Fi connection if I don't have AT&T data plan?

I was looking into getting an unlocked BB Pearl 3G but then I read somewhere that my browsing experience will be limited over Wi-Fi. How and why?
    Don't know, my own unlocked AT&T 9100 work just fine for browsing over wifi, and I don't have a data plan; heck, I don't even have any kind of plan right now, just using prepaid card until I choose a provider, yet browsing work fine and fast over home network. You must have a setting wrong.
    lv_vl likes this.
    02-15-11 12:04 AM
    Don't know, my own unlocked AT&T 9100 work just fine for browsing over wifi, and I don't have a data plan; heck, I don't even have any kind of plan right now, just using prepaid card until I choose a provider, yet browsing work fine and fast over home network. You must have a setting wrong.
    I don't have any settings, since I have not bought the phone yet :-)

I wanted to find out if I can browser over Wi-Fi without getting AT&T data plan.

I was thinking about getting factory unlocked 9100 online. Did you get yours at AT&T or online?
    02-15-11 07:09 AM
    Did you get yours at AT&T or online?
    Bought it in a downtown Montreal retail store, branded AT&T but unlocked.

For browsing I just set up my wifi, changed the settings to use "hotspot" browser and off I went on the net. Had to use Logicmail for email(which works fine) since BB own email app is locked if you don't have a data plan, and BB app store doesn't work so I use the Crackberry store to find and install app I need(or just the browser).
    lv_vl likes this.
    02-15-11 11:59 AM
    So, if I understand correctly, you did not even have to change Service Books in your BB?
    If that's the case, things may not be as complicated as I thought (or as others stated.)
    02-15-11 06:58 PM
    So, if I understand correctly, you did not even have to change Service Books in your BB?
    I don't even know what a "service Book" is

If that's the case, things may not be as complicated as I thought (or as others stated.)
    Mind you, the whole mobile business in North America is one populated with corporate crooks and a mafiosi mindset; so, from what I've learned, it's very possible for one "service" provider or another to disable functionality in you own phone, then charge you for the benefit of re-enabling them.

It really is a cut throat business.
    lv_vl likes this.
    02-15-11 07:54 PM
    Yeap, I've learned that several years ago. That was one of the reasons I began buying unlocked phones, otherwise mobile phone companies milk every penny out of you. Even when I had to travel, I realized my "world business phone" was not working overseas. In order to unlock it, I had to upgrade my plan or pay roaming charges.

I hope the day will come when there will be great pre-paid rates in USA, just like in Europe.

Again, thanks for the info!
    02-15-11 08:08 PM
    Bought it in a downtown Montreal retail store, branded AT&T but unlocked.

For browsing I just set up my wifi, changed the settings to use "hotspot" browser and off I went on the net. Had to use Logicmail for email(which works fine) since BB own email app is locked if you don't have a data plan, and BB app store doesn't work so I use the Crackberry store to find and install app I need(or just the browser).
    So if you bought it in Montreal, then you aren't using in on AT&T, are you?
    02-15-11 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD