Hey everyone I really want to get into Blackberry, but only 16 and cannot afford data plans. I am also on T-Mobile and therefore have the option of Pearl 8120 or Pearl flip. I really think the Pearl is for me, but then I keep hearing rumors of this new updated pearl. Now when I call T-Mobile, and ask about Blackberry data plans, they say a Blackberry with a full keyboard requires one, while suretype keyboards don't. So my question is, do you think the new 9100 Striker/Stratus will require data plans? Will it even come to T-Mobile, or will it go to another carrier. Will the phone even come out before 2009, or should I just go with the 8120 and get this over with. Thanks, and I know some of this info might not even be out there yet.
    10-07-09 06:34 PM
    Why do you need a blackberry when you can't afford a data plan? You just need a regular phone and when you're older with a steady job and can afford it, then upgrade to a blackberry. Its not a status symbol when you can't afford a data plan. At that point you're just faking the funk.
    10-07-09 07:01 PM
    Maybe he likes the phone? A blackberry is not a status symbol... its just a phone. What's wrong with having a pearl with no internet?

Anyway, from what I've heard, the Stratus is at least a year away. Maybe go with a pearl or pearl flip from CL or Ebay to cut costs. Hope you are happy with your decision!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-09 07:11 PM
    Why do you need a blackberry when you can't afford a data plan? You just need a regular phone and when you're older with a steady job and can afford it, then upgrade to a blackberry. Its not a status symbol when you can't afford a data plan. At that point you're just faking the funk.
    You think I want to make a point with a Pearl? With a 2 year old phone, while everyone has iPhones and REAL Blackberrys? I like the whole "bar" style phone and this fits the description. I also enjoy the suretype, and the Wi-fi will pass time
    10-07-09 09:51 PM
    my friend who works for rim says the new pearl is a thing of beauty, and it wont really be a budget berry anymore.
    10-07-09 10:17 PM
    Anyway, from what I've heard, the Stratus is at least a year away.
    Oh, the wait is going to kill me, especially when I read...
    my friend who works for rim says the new pearl is a thing of beauty,
    10-07-09 11:57 PM
    Hey everyone I really want to get into Blackberry, but only 16 and cannot afford data plans. I am also on T-Mobile and therefore have the option of Pearl 8120 or Pearl flip. I really think the Pearl is for me, but then I keep hearing rumors of this new updated pearl. Now when I call T-Mobile, and ask about Blackberry data plans, they say a Blackberry with a full keyboard requires one, while suretype keyboards don't. So my question is, do you think the new 9100 Striker/Stratus will require data plans? Will it even come to T-Mobile, or will it go to another carrier. Will the phone even come out before 2009, or should I just go with the 8120 and get this over with. Thanks, and I know some of this info might not even be out there yet.
    First off, welcome!

Second no BlackBerry NEEDS a data plan, unless you want to use it for e-mails and the internet.
    If you just want to use your BlackBerry as a phone and for texting, no data required.
    If you want e-mail and all the rest, you'll need a data plan.
    The Striker/Stratus is MANY months away, and will NOT be out in 2009. Think Q2 or Q3 2010.

Just go with the 8120.
    10-08-09 04:09 AM
    I would say you dont take your max out of your blackberry if you don't have a dataplan so then ur better off getting a normal cell perhaps? Isn't there an option for a more limited blackberry data plan that you can afford?

while everyone has iPhones and REAL Blackberrys?
    How does "everyone" pay their dataplans if they are in the same league as you? You can perhaps find some work to be able to afford ur extra's like a data plan. When I was 16 I worked on saturday for my extra luxuries as we did not have a tons of money to spend. I would just think really well were you spend it on. Perhaps those friends have all expensive phones with data plans and cant do anything else the whole month due to this. Is that worth it?
    Last edited by Mistik1973; 10-08-09 at 07:03 AM.
    10-08-09 06:54 AM
    Second no BlackBerry NEEDS a data plan, unless you want to use it for e-mails and the internet.
    Not true. Every carrier requires a data plan with a smart phone now (in the US at least.)
    10-08-09 10:22 AM
    Hey does a text messaging plan count as a data plan?
    10-08-09 10:55 AM
    Not true. Every carrier requires a data plan with a smart phone now (in the US at least.)
    What do you mean "requires"? They ban smartphones that aren't on a data plan? That would be nearly impossible to enforce.

Or do you mean that carriers will not give you a SUBSIDIZED phone unless you sign up for a data plan?
    10-08-09 11:00 AM
    I personally like the form factor of the Pearl bar style (8120). I can type a lot faster on an 8120 as compared to a full qwerty. The keys are larger and closer together. I don't like flip phones because its just extra effort to open that damn thing up all the time.
    10-08-09 12:44 PM
    If you buy ANY Blackberry from T-Mobile they will REQUIRE you to purchase a BB data plan. If you want to avoid this Ebay/Craigslist etc would be the way to go... I just can't imagine a Blackberry with no data plan.
    10-08-09 06:00 PM
    This sucker is coming to T-Mobile in 2010. Sweet.

10-09-09 01:01 AM
    What do you mean "requires"? They ban smartphones that aren't on a data plan? That would be nearly impossible to enforce.

Or do you mean that carriers will not give you a SUBSIDIZED phone unless you sign up for a data plan?
    Some, if not all, the major US Carriers will not activate a smartphone if you do not have a data plan. Even AT&T is supposedly set up that if you place a SIM into a blackberry, it will not work if you don't have a data plan.

I don't know this first hand, as I have a data plan, but I do believe this to be true.
    10-09-09 02:25 AM
    If you buy ANY Blackberry from T-Mobile they will REQUIRE you to purchase a BB data plan. If you want to avoid this Ebay/Craigslist etc would be the way to go... I just can't imagine a Blackberry with no data plan.
    That was not true about 3 or 4 months ago - t-mobile had just rolled out their new rules about data plans with blackberry's but they specifically excluded the 8220 (and I believe one other - perhaps the pearl, can't recall).

We bought an 8220 for one of our kids and I can guarantee you that we did not have to purchase a data plan with it - and this was AFTER t-mobiles new rules had already come into effect.
    10-09-09 03:57 AM
    Some, if not all, the major US Carriers will not activate a smartphone if you do not have a data plan. Even AT&T is supposedly set up that if you place a SIM into a blackberry, it will not work if you don't have a data plan.

I don't know this first hand, as I have a data plan, but I do believe this to be true.
    Wow... that's stupid. And possibly illegal. Can you say anti-competitive/anti-trust?
    10-09-09 04:58 AM
    Agreed regarding plans...

VZW requires a BB data plan. We recently purchased my wife a Tour and handed down her Curve to our son. He doesn't need the extras that a BlackBerry can provide, merely a phone to be in contact with us. We tried to have the data plan turned off - no luck. VZW CSR said you cannot have a BB on the network without the data plan.
    10-09-09 08:28 AM

If you put your AT&T sim into a blackberry w/o a data plan it will work, but eventually they'll catch you and add the data plan. They don't disable the phone.
    10-09-09 05:16 PM
    last I knew with Rogers when purchasing a blackberry (aside from perls) you are forced to have a data plan for a year (only allowed to drop the data plan after a year) course this could have changed been awhile since i was told that. Best is to get an unlocked phone to pass that

edit: i heard this is done because theirs some hack where you can use your email and surf the web for free. Not totally sure but it would make sense if their is a hack for it
    Last edited by B101Z; 10-09-09 at 08:51 PM.
    10-09-09 08:49 PM
    The real question:

Will this bad boy have 256MB app memory, WiFi, GPS, and a higher screen resolution?

Sal, get one and tell us. Word.

10-09-09 09:26 PM
    Wow... that's stupid. And possibly illegal. Can you say anti-competitive/anti-trust?
    LOL you have no idea what you're talking about.
    10-09-09 09:41 PM
    LOL you have no idea what you're talking about.
    Uh, it definitely *is* anti-competitive, and worthy of an FCC investigation too. Unfortunately, nothing's likely to be done about it any time soon, if ever.
    10-10-09 10:27 AM
    Uh, it definitely *is* anti-competitive, and worthy of an FCC investigation too. Unfortunately, nothing's likely to be done about it any time soon, if ever.
    There's nothing anti-competitive about forcing you to buy a certain plan if you want to use their network. They aren't doing anything to interfere with anyone else's network. And there's no law violations either. In case you didn't realize, every single carrier does this now. Verizon won't activate a BB without a data plan, and AT&T scans their network and if they detect a BB IMEI on their network they'll add the plan to your service. You have no idea how the law works.
    10-11-09 11:51 PM
    Im definately looking foward to the next Pearl. I have a 8130. I hope the new one is thinner, faster, and maybe a slightly bigger/better screen. Anyone know what quarter in 2010 it would be?
    10-12-09 06:09 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD