My 8220 Flip reads a error everytime I turn it on. It reads
    " Uncaught exception:java.lang.NullPointerException" If I hit ok, The phone loads but a few seconds later the error comes again. If I hit ok the phone just freezes basically. What can I do to fix it? I had to move back to my old Behold. The phone is all but any calls do not go through.
    07-03-09 05:06 PM
    I'm new to blackberry`s could you tell me how to provide a link explaining how
    07-03-09 05:31 PM
    Um. I would think a couple months.
    My uncle gave me it.
    07-03-09 06:00 PM
    As of right now, I do not. I am guessing that I should install it?
    07-03-09 11:03 PM
    The option to restore is under that right?
    Guess im gonna need to buy a USB Cord from CrackBerry
    07-03-09 11:33 PM
    Well didn't ur uncle give u the usb cord the 8220 do come with them .. U shouldn't have to buy one

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-04-09 12:09 AM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got this 8220 phone in (What a POS) and its frozen with "Uncaught Exception:java.lang.NullPointerException" written over the home screen. It wont let me do anything or go to any menu. I've done the battery reset a few times, but nothing happens. I downloaded the Desktop Manager and the software upgrade from the T-mobile site via another thread on here. My pc finds the phone but DM doesnt. Is there another way I can totally wipe this phone. I dont give a **** about the apps, I just want the phone to work. Is there any overriding program I can use (Like CDMA Workshop w/ CDMA phones)? Maybe like an NSS or p2k but for Blackberry's? Thanx in advance...
    07-11-09 04:49 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got this 8220 phone in (What a POS) and its frozen with "Uncaught Exception:java.lang.NullPointerException" written over the home screen. It wont let me do anything or go to any menu. I've done the battery reset a few times, but nothing happens. I downloaded the Desktop Manager and the software upgrade from the T-mobile site via another thread on here. My pc finds the phone but DM doesnt. Is there another way I can totally wipe this phone. I dont give a **** about the apps, I just want the phone to work. Is there any overriding program I can use (Like CDMA Workshop w/ CDMA phones)? Maybe like an NSS or p2k but for Blackberry's? Thanx in advance...
    First: If your old enough....smoke a cig, slam a beer and watch the Bruno trailer. That should calm ya down a bit.

Second: Download the latest OS, stickied at top of this forum, and also install the latest Desktop Manager from RIM. Don't use T-Mobiles .180 OS.

Just do some reading, it's ALL explained in detail in dozens of places all over the web and this forum.
    07-11-09 05:10 PM
    I'm new to blackberry`s could you tell me how to provide a link explaining how
    Check the top topic sticky for all the os upgrade info you will need.
    07-11-09 07:26 PM
    First: If your old enough....smoke a cig, slam a beer and watch the Bruno trailer. That should calm ya down a bit.

Second: Download the latest OS, stickied at top of this forum, and also install the latest Desktop Manager from RIM. Don't use T-Mobiles .180 OS.

Just do some reading, it's ALL explained in detail in dozens of places all over the web and this forum.
    Believe it or not, I've been in the industry for 16 years and I am calm. I just vent easy. I'm not much of a BB guy, I ABN (Always buy Nokia). But I do alot of repairs (I'm more of a Old School Hardware guy) and was a little frustrated at this persistent error.I had also just come off a 3 hour repair with water logged G1. I saved it, but what a real cheaply built POS.

I figured the T-mo DM was the same; didnt know there was a difference.

I did lots of reading and still couldnt get the DM to recognize the phone; but it may be because its T-mo. I'll try it.

On another Forum they told me to use some JL program or something like that to wipe it, then reflash the sw. I'll try your way first. Thanx.
    07-13-09 04:33 PM
    Believe it or not, I've been in the industry for 16 years and I am calm. I just vent easy. I'm not much of a BB guy, I ABN (Always buy Nokia). But I do alot of repairs (I'm more of a Old School Hardware guy) and was a little frustrated at this persistent error.I had also just come off a 3 hour repair with water logged G1. I saved it, but what a real cheaply built POS.

I figured the T-mo DM was the same; didnt know there was a difference.

I did lots of reading and still couldnt get the DM to recognize the phone; but it may be because its T-mo. I'll try it.

On another Forum they told me to use some JL program or something like that to wipe it, then reflash the sw. I'll try your way first. Thanx.
    Hey... No worries man, I was not insulting you, just having a little fun. Because right before I posted that reply....I had just slammed a beer, watched the Bruno trailer and smoked a cig. Put me in a real good mood

With all due respect though PeakCelln.....

When your 2nd post on this forum starts out with "just got this 8220 phone in (What a POS)", it's not a big leap to think that you don't have much experience and or are very young and or are very angry. I also vent easily, but I would never go on a forum and say that the device is a POS right off the bat

Your problems of the DM not seeing the Flip have nothing to do with T-Mobile. They don't have a separate Desktop Manager.

Did you do what I suggested? Download the .278 OS stickied at the top of this 82xx forum? Download the latest DM from RIM's website? The official latest DM from RIM is I believe...4.7. I've had problems with 4.7(I have Vista x64), so I stick with 4.6. First thing I would do is uninstall DM from your comp, then go into program files and manually delete the Research in Motion folder, reboot, install DM 4.6, reboot, launch DM and THEN connect the Flip. Maybe it will recognize it then.

Also (as I'm sure you know) try multiple usb ports on your comp? USB ports can be finicky. Try a different computer all together/different OS(Vista/XP etc)? There is of course a very slight possibility your micro USB cord is bad.

There are many threads on what to do if DM does not recognize your Flip....

BlackBerry 101: How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

In that tutorial, it shows you how to load a new OS even if DM does not see your device.

Hope that helps....no hard feelings...good luck to ya

Cheers!
    Last edited by Hoggles; 07-13-09 at 05:57 PM.
    07-13-09 05:43 PM
    I had the same issue with my BB Flip. # months old and I tried everything to clear the error. Took it back to T Mo and they gave me a new Flip with no questions asked.
    07-30-09 05:30 AM
    Hi and HALP! is there another link to download the OS? the one on rapidshare is down and I am outside the USA (in the Bahamas) and official link is giving me an error
    08-03-09 02:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD