I am considering purchasing either a BB Pearl 8130 or a Voyager. I have Verizon. My priorities in a phone are: #1 phone, #2 email, #3 browsing, #4 text messenging. I like the idea of being able to push my email to my device (which I know I need a BB to do), but I don't NEED that service. Can anyone provide any advice on which device to get? Thanks.

Mike
    11-30-07 09:32 AM
    If you can go to a store that has both devices try them both out while you are there. I did and i have the pearl. It also depends if you want a qwerty or suretype keyboard, i was hesistant about the suretype but after 2-3 days of use i can type crazy fast now. getting push email can't be beat thats for sure. If i remember correctly the lg was a little heavier and bigger too.
    11-30-07 09:40 AM
    I was in the same boat.

Early reviews of the Voyager said that there was a hum when the flip was open and the email is buried in the Mobile Web with the flip open only. Also signal strength was not strong and some calls were dropped.

It's great eye candy, but I wouldn't rely on it like the Pearl!

Gary
    11-30-07 09:56 AM
    Keep in mind that you're posting on a website that caters to blackberry, so I'd say don't expect too many lobbyists for the Voyager. Just throwing that out there. That being said, I'd agree with bbsadaj, in the sense that you should go to a verizon store and play around with both. E-mail can't be beat on the blackberry and the pearl certainly meets your four stated needs. It all depends on whether you're comfortable without having a qwerty keyboard. Good luck!
    11-30-07 09:57 AM
    You also might want to take into consideration the size and form factor.
    I had the XV6700 for 3 years, and was essentially looking to get rid carrying a brick around with me.

I was debating between just getting a plain old phone but when I saw the Pearl, it seemed like an excellent compromise. I tinkered around in the store with a Venus, Voyager, and the 8130. What tipped it for me were these things.

1. the sound and media playing capabilities of the 8130 were actually much better then I had expected, well equal to the "music" phones. Especially with an 8G miniSD.
    2. The browser capabilities on the 8130, especially when you put Opera on it just blew away the VZW WAP thing
    3. I'm a hard core road warrior so email, SMS, etc while it took me a week or so to get good at, the Qwerty style 8130 layout is acutally pretty cool.
    4. The Blackberry pretty much has the full PDA, Outlook calander, task, notes & bluetooth thing happening. Much better the the VZW locked down OS you get on the phone, and the data syncing hassles that go with it.
    5. Size

So I quess if you're looking for a small, efficient business phone the 8130 might be your better bet. If you're looking for multimedia, iPhone like bling, with a familiar keyboard, and don't mind the larger size, then the voyager might be your better bet. Then there's the Venus, I almost pulled the trigger on that one, but the keyboard was the tipper.

VZW does have a 30 day return policy. So if there's an immediate dissapointment, you can swap them. I think the price point's close. Check with the store to make sure.

Hope this helped
    11-30-07 10:26 AM
    Pearl! Get it!
    11-30-07 10:48 AM
    just a note but utilizing Verizon's Wireless Sync program will provide the "push" email capabilities. I utilized this when I had my xv6600 and my Q. That being said, I'm not sure if the Voyager is capable of Wireless Sync as it is for Windows based devices. Reasons I switched from Windows to a BB - much more stable software and email capabilities.
    11-30-07 11:00 AM
    I really like LG, but the Voyager has a real "plastic" feel to it. I LOVE the 8130 form factor. Small, but feels very sturdy and doesn't feel plastic.
    11-30-07 11:27 AM
    Ok I went through the same dilemma. I decided on the Pearl and I have been very happy with it. It does SOOOOO much for a little tiny phone. The main reason why I chose the pearl was because:
    1. feels like a phone versus a pda and easy to dial VERY IMPORTANT 4 ME and it has actual keys nice change from a pocket pc(touch screen)
    2. size
    3. the phone won't accidentally call people (like touch screen phones will! Even the voyager with a lock option)
    4. more programs
    5. sure type
    6. After using it I LOVE the PUSH email! I didn't know what I was missing!
    7. I can do everything on one screen and I don't have to flip it open to do different functions. and I can easily use just one hand.
    8. did I mention SIZE?
    Anyway these are just a couple things that have made me decide to keep the BBpearl. although you can get one or the other because you have a 30day trial period with Verizon. I am in my 2nd week now and I have decided to keep it I am reformed! Also this website is so much more helpful then anything or anyone out there! Hope this helps.
    11-30-07 12:03 PM
    Well, I pulled the trigger and got the Pearl 8130. I've had it for about an hour now! I love it so far. I played around with the keyboard (typing a sample email in the store). It was strange, but I'm going to give it a week or two. I have up to 30 days to test it out. If i can get used to the keyboard and suretype I know I've made the right decision...and I haven't even spent much time with it. It's a very impressive device! Thanks for all of the advice during my research time.

Mike
    11-30-07 12:43 PM
    good luck and don't get frustrated. Give it 1 week!
    11-30-07 01:15 PM
    yeah I was in the same boat as well. I waited for the voyager to come out and I still got the pearl. The voyager felt a little cheap to me and I always wanted a BB, just to see what everyone has been talking about. I have had the pearl for a full week know. The first 2-3 days I was really considering taking it back and getting something else. I had no idea what this little device was capable of, until I found this website and now I can't hardly put it down. It takes a litttle getting use to, but it is well worth it so far lol...
    11-30-07 03:19 PM
    Well, I pulled the trigger and got the Pearl 8130. I've had it for about an hour now! I love it so far. I played around with the keyboard (typing a sample email in the store). It was strange, but I'm going to give it a week or two. I have up to 30 days to test it out. If i can get used to the keyboard and suretype I know I've made the right decision...and I haven't even spent much time with it. It's a very impressive device! Thanks for all of the advice during my research time.

Mike
    GREAT choice! I'm sure we'll see you back here with more questions!
    11-30-07 03:59 PM

Mike
    One of the keys for me getting used to sure type was to not pay attention to what I was typing on the screen, but just pressing the letters on the keypad. Also, just press the key that has the letter you need ONCE, not twice in Suretype. For instance if you're type the word "that", press the TY, GH, AS, TY keys. Don't do TY, GH, GH, AS, TY. Suretype usually figures out the word you are type as you type it so that you do not need to double press a key to get the second letter that is the word you are typing. It will switch the to the H on the GH key for you without having to hit it twice. This sounds confusing, but just pretend it's a computer keyboard and hit each key once for each letter you need that shows on the key. Don't use it like it's a regular cell phone where you need to hit the ABC key 3 times to get C. And remember, don't look at the screen until you have typed at the word you want by press the keys in keypad. When you're done making typing the sentence, then look up at the screen and you'll be surprised that Suretype spelled out everything you wanted without having to double tap keys or pick word sfrom drop down lists. Most of the time anyway. Make sense?
    12-01-07 10:37 AM
    yeah definately give it a week or so. i was typing like a two year old on the keyboard at first and i was getting pretty annoyed, but now its just like typing at the computer with the qwerty key setup. like kidqwik said, just focus on what you're typing and not what's on the screen. my hands aren't that big, but i still mistype by hitting other buttons on occasion. and i found that while texting about the UFC, i couldn't type Matt "Serra". i dont know why. but anyway, besides that randomness, it is rough a jillion times faster to type on the pearl than a regular phone keypad setup.

the verizon guy went off about the voyager phone while i was in there, but if i'm not mistaken, the voyager was more expensive than the pearl aaand why wouldn't you get a BB if it was cheaper than a regular phone? it's only $150 for a BB!!!!! that's redonk.

i love having the push email and blackberry email and i actually prefer having one mailbox for my two emails and txts. puts everything in one place. oh, and the trackball and at first i didn't like the little icon menus because there's like 20 of them, but they are very handy, rather than having to find stuff buried in submenus. i haven't gotten to try the google maps gps while actually driving for a distance, but when i go home for christmas i'll be able to report about that.

basically, the pearl is super sweet and you should get one. lol.
    12-01-07 01:35 PM
    Were you able to get a discount on the phone? I talked to a rep yesterday on the phone and they were not very helpful. I was surprised becase I have been with Verizon for 4 years now. Any suggestions?
    12-01-07 03:27 PM
    Congrats chappyg8r!!! I love my pearl & I'm sure you will too. I never got used to the suretype though. I still use multitap. If you're intersted in using multitap while you're in an email or sms press your menu key(left of the trackball) � menu will pop up and you'll see the option. There were too many grammatical errors w/suretype. The errors were ok w/text msgs, but a killer for my emails.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-07 12:46 PM
    I just upgraded from the MotoQ to the pearl. This phone is absolutely fantastic the browser is great you get emails send emails seamlessly . I don�t know how I ever lived without it.

I will never go back to a MS operating system
    12-02-07 12:55 PM
    I'm new to Blackberry. I've used Palm hand-helds for the past six years. I bought the pearl 8130 with option to switch to Voyager. After using the Pearl and registering with Blackberry made simple for video tutorials, I'm sold on the Pearl. Still ironing out some kinks - The scroll ball freezing up, in Standby mode, while using Bluetooth, Mototola H700 device, for example. Still, Pearl appears to be a reliable, all-purpose device.
    12-04-07 06:07 PM
    I got a Voyager about a month ago. Loved it for about a week; the novelty of the touch screen, being able to watch live TV was pretty amazing, great looking HTML internet browser. Then the novelty wore off. Awful battery life, speakerphone only works with the phone open, certain applications restricted to landscape mode, always unlocking and dialing itself in my pocket....the list goes on and on. Returned it with 1 day left of my 30 day trial for a Pearl 8130, realized in the first hour I had made the right choice

Things that made my like the Pearl over the Voager:
    -way, way better battery life
    -speakerphone works anytime
    -music player can play in the background while I browse the net
    -software available to sync with my Mac
    -a real, actual phone lock
    -3.5mm headphone jack (versus Voyager's 2.5)
    -roller ball is way faster to use versus the directional pad
    -ability to run Google Maps
    -camera has a flash
    -tons and tons of 3rd party programs
    -email structure is way better, especially when v4.5 comes out with full HTML viewing
    -voice notes recorder
    -tactile keypad
    -charger/data port is robust, port on the Voyager was a flimsy nightmare
    -SureType is amazing software, pretty much the only things I have to manually enter are proper names, and it recognizes most of those too!

In my mind these are the only features I used that the Voyager did better:
    -full HTML browser, although my 8130 can download anything I click on, beat that Voyager
    -bluetooth push profiles, could send music/videos from my Mac wirelessly, really wish I could still do that
    -videos were *slightly* better on the Voyager but pictures seem to be better overall on the 8130, especially with the flash

Oh, and did I mention the Pearl cost me $150 less than the Voyager
    Last edited by tgreathead; 02-28-08 at 12:43 PM. Reason: remembered more
    02-27-08 11:27 AM
    The pearl is truly a technology machine. My favorite part is the ability to customize the interface and the ability to download just about anything you would like for business or personal productivity. (and this includes checkers!!) Sounds like you made the right decision. Enjoy the first week or so....it's a headache/whirlwind time.....but with Crackberry.....you'll be just fine!!
    02-27-08 12:00 PM
    I was also considering the Voyager "heavily." I had the same requirements you described in the features you're looking for.

I spoke with someone I know who happens to be a VZW manager. They told me NOT to get the Voyager as there were too many people complaining about the 1st generation quirks (I always tell myself NOT to go with 1st generation techy stuff...so I don't know why I wasn't following my own advice this time!) and they were getting a lot of returns.

Upon talking with them further, we agreed the BB Pearl would be a good "fit" for me...ironically, that was my 2nd choice! I've had it for 3 weeks and haven't regretted it yet
    02-27-08 02:11 PM
    SNIP.....-bluetooth push profiles, could send music/videos from my Mac wirelessly, really wish I could still do that
    SNIP...
    tgreathead... have a read thru this. I'm still plugging away at this myself.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f62/how...-bb-mac-12623/
    02-27-08 02:23 PM
    tgreathead... have a read thru this. I'm still plugging away at this myself.
    HA, that's awesome, just tried it and it worked perfect! Thanks!
    On the Voyager I could use the utility Bluetooth File Exchange and browse the file structure, drag and drop as needed. This still works great though
    02-27-08 02:40 PM
    You're welcome. Now come fix mine!
    02-27-08 02:42 PM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD