I was messing around with my BB last night trying to get email without having to pay 20 bucks a month. after reading all over the inet I was a little dissappointed because everywere I read it said that it was impossible to get the internet working wit the t-zones plan and the only way was adding the BB plan.
    I was convinced that if all my other phones worked 100% just with the tzones (iPhone and Sadow), why this one wouldn't, so I kept trying until I got it!!!

First I installed the Opera Mini and the google mail app. then change the settings on Settings-->Advanced Options-->TCP and change the APN to the tmobile settings. After a few soft resets (take out the battery lke 3 times) it started working, I can go to ANY web site, get my email, downlod apps from mobile.blackberry.com, etc...
    As off right now, everything still works and it's been almost 20 hours. let's see what happen later

d.
    11-26-08 06:45 PM
    I have a feeling after using your email for a month you will wish you paid the $20 for the BB data plan instead of working around it...
    11-26-08 10:35 PM
    I have a feeling after using your email for a month you will wish you paid the $20 for the BB data plan instead of working around it...
    why would you say that?? the t-zones plan is unlimited data, so there is no way they cancharge me anything extra
    11-27-08 07:45 AM
    Oh ok...well this is a very helpful post
    11-27-08 09:29 AM
    Please keep update ur status after a month, if u do not have to pay 20$.
    I wish u dont have to pay 20$ so that i can try. xD
    11-27-08 03:58 PM
    I shouldn't be charged since I used to do the same thing with the iPhone for about 8 months and never had to pay more than 5.99 for internet.
    I checked online and my phone bill still has the same features included, and doesn't say anything about blackberry or internet besides the T-Zones
    I will keep you updated if I do or don't get charged for data
    11-27-08 04:54 PM
    Dq13: I've been trying to do the same thing! Did you set your APN settings to wap.voicestream.com? Anything else? I'm still unable to get it working for me. :-(
    11-29-08 09:54 AM
    I am not sure if the wap.voicestream.com settings work since I haven't used them in a while... I used epc.tmobile.com because it is a lot faster. user and password remain blank like wap.voicestream.com
    Last edited by dq13; 11-29-08 at 10:09 PM.
    11-29-08 04:53 PM
    I have tmobile with the T-Zones plan. I have no BB plan and I have full access to internet andall I pay is 5.99 a month. I got my bill and I did not get any addtl' charges for data usage. Actually, when I logged into my t-mobile to pay my bill a and i had a message saying I had no blackberry plan. here is a screenshot of the message :
    12-05-08 03:42 PM
    The T-Mobile data plans have all changed. The data offers are now consistent across all devices, like BB and Sidekicks. There are 2 plans $24.99 for Data and 400 text or $34.99 for Data and Unl text. The phone web plans have changed too. They now start at $9.99 instead of $5.99. If you have the old plans, you ill keep them until you remove it.

Can you get Pushed Email on a BB with the $5.99 plan? On any phone you get email access, its just not pushed. The web content may be slightly different without the real BB data package as well.
    12-05-08 05:39 PM
    yes I do get pushed email. I have the google mobile app so I can get my gmail. If I leave the application running on the background, it automatically receives the emails. I always close the app, thinking it will eat the battery, but everytime I get a new email on my gmail account, I get a text message saying I have new emails. I have unlimited txt so I rather have it like that just in case the gmail app eats the battery if I leave it running

To surf the web I use Opera Mini and it is full internetm just like my friend's BB and he has the BB plan. you can also change the settings on the browser so you get "mobile version" of the websites
    12-05-08 06:07 PM
    I understand all that. The reason the $20-35 plans exist is for heavy push email usage. The phones are set up to use less bandwidth and network capacity than browsing, whereas BB's and PDA's consume more of the networks space. It makes sense to charge more for a service that will require more of the network.

"we" can do stuff like get features not intended for our device by switching sim cards and general deviousness. The average phone subscriber would never be allowed by customer service or at a store to add the "$5.99" internet feature to a BB.
    12-05-08 06:17 PM
    I understand that. I got my .599 plsn with another phone and, like you said, I just got this BB and put my sim card in it. I am not a heavy data user, so this plan works perfect for me
    12-05-08 06:27 PM
    I have the $5.99 T-zones plan on my 8100 too, but my apps like Facebook, Opera, Google Maps, and Yahoo! Go will not connect, saying I don't have internet access on my plan even though the internet works fine through t-zones. I set all their permissions to "Accept" and my APN is set to wap.voicestream.com but still no dice...
    12-22-08 03:35 PM
    I am not sure if the wap.voicestream.com settings work since I haven't used them in a while... I used epc.tmobile.com because it is a lot faster. user and password remain blank like wap.voicestream.com
    Read up a little and try this!
    12-22-08 07:21 PM
    ok.. so I have known about this trick for about a year now. I still have the 5.99 plan, and it has always worked great for me. the gmail app never really worked, and I'm not sure why.. but it didn't bother me a whole lot.

Tonight I upgraded to the 4.5 OS.. and now I have lost the blackberry browser... opera won't work... I have "edge" rather than "EDGE" and my routing table is blank even when I register it! I have the wap.voicestream.com typed in... but that is about in. any suggestions? Which OS do you have?!!
    01-04-09 03:01 AM
    Hey Everybody that you see having problems just switch over to epc.tmobile.com faster and better, that piece of junk wap.voicestream.com doesn't work on opera mini

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-09 12:19 PM
    Like I said long time ago, wap.voicestream.com sucks!! I posted long time ago to switch to epc.tmobile.com, way faster and stable. with this setting, the Gmail app works perfect and my routing table has always been blank!!
    Last edited by dq13; 01-04-09 at 07:28 PM.
    01-04-09 07:26 PM
    I know I always used wap.voicestream.com and didn't work then I saw a forum that's said epc.tmobile.com and tried it and worked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-04-09 08:33 PM
    I was messing around with my BB last night trying to get email without having to pay 20 bucks a month. after reading all over the inet I was a little dissappointed because everywere I read it said that it was impossible to get the internet working wit the t-zones plan and the only way was adding the BB plan.
    I was convinced that if all my other phones worked 100% just with the tzones (iPhone and Sadow), why this one wouldn't, so I kept trying until I got it!!!

First I installed the Opera Mini and the google mail app. then change the settings on Settings-->Advanced Options-->TCP and change the APN to the tmobile settings. After a few soft resets (take out the battery lke 3 times) it started working, I can go to ANY web site, get my email, downlod apps from mobile.blackberry.com, etc...
    As off right now, everything still works and it's been almost 20 hours. let's see what happen later

d.
    Hey I'm from Canada and it seems like were in the same boat. I'm using a unlocked BB on the fido network. I have a 6 GB data plan but I can�t really get the full use of the plan on my BB. I've been using Opera for my web browsing for the past few month but with very limited used. How did you prevent the blackberry browser from opening when you download items?
    01-04-09 08:42 PM
    I don't really understand your question. why would the BB browser open when you download something? once I am on Opera, the other browser does not open at all, to download apps from mobile.blackberry.com I HAVE TO use the BB browser, it will not work with Opera. Otherwise, you can download the apps with your computer and then install them manually.
    01-04-09 08:57 PM

d.

Thanks for this info. It works.
    01-05-09 09:16 AM
    hey i just got a used pearl 8100 a few days ago; i followed the instructions, but it won't work; is there any settings i need to set my phone to? -- i mean, i know how to manipulate some of the basic things that would be required (i.e. network and security), but it won't work - it just says "installing opera mini" and then that the browser can't connect to the network; "contact your service provider" junk. i tried everything, even wiping the memory, and i'm sitting right in front of my wireless LAN. this is the only reason i wanted this phone! any suggestions for what to try next? thank you!
    Last edited by berrypearlsrule; 01-05-09 at 11:26 PM.
    01-05-09 11:22 PM
    hey i just got a used pearl 8100 a few days ago; i followed the instructions, but it won't work; is there any settings i need to set my phone to? -- i mean, i know how to manipulate some of the basic things that would be required (i.e. network and security), but it won't work - it just says "installing opera mini" and then that the browser can't connect to the network; "contact your service provider" junk. i tried everything, even wiping the memory, and i'm sitting right in front of my wireless LAN. this is the only reason i wanted this phone! any suggestions for what to try next? thank you!
    You might have to call Tmobile and ask them if you have the free add on to get the BB MSG and email feature.
    01-06-09 07:26 AM
    How do you change the APN settings to tmobile settings?
    01-06-09 02:42 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD