And I do mean this literally. The phone will ring, I look at the caller ID and it is showing it is my cell phone number calling! Also, when you look in the call logs on the phone, it shows up as "me". I haven't answered it when it calls itself, it's kind of freaking me out. I looked at my bill, and the calls do not show on there, but it is getting really annoying. It happens 1-2 times per day. Anyone have any thoughts?
    08-27-08 09:06 AM
    Did u save the wrong number after your name?
    08-27-08 09:20 AM
    Ha! I actually wish I had of. I'm kind of getting that "one missed call" feeling. Actually, I don't have my number saved in my contacts at all. When you go to the call log, and push the "applications" button to see the details of "me", it is showing my correct number.
    08-27-08 09:24 AM
    I don't want to freak you out or anything, but I had a story passed onto me (can't find the link) that involved "stalkers" calling a person's cell phone and having their own number show up. They basically call when they are in proximity to you and when you answer the phone, they say something creepy like, "that's a nice red dress you're wearing."

There is something that is called skip tracing. Somehow a number can be captured and then the person who calls any phone can basically have that number pop up. They've used it to capture criminals in the past. Essentially the cops/private investigator calls from their own cell phone, but another number pops up on the ID like Mike's plumbing or Bob's crab shack...something like that.

Of course now that you might be worried, I would call your provider and see if there is some other issue. Good luck.
    08-27-08 01:19 PM
    I don't want to freak you out or anything, but I had a story passed onto me (can't find the link) that involved "stalkers" calling a person's cell phone and having their own number show up. They basically call when they are in proximity to you and when you answer the phone, they say something creepy like, "that's a nice red dress you're wearing."

There is something that is called skip tracing. Somehow a number can be captured and then the person who calls any phone can basically have that number pop up. They've used it to capture criminals in the past. Essentially the cops/private investigator calls from their own cell phone, but another number pops up on the ID like Mike's plumbing or Bob's crab shack...something like that.

Of course now that you might be worried, I would call your provider and see if there is some other issue. Good luck.

you need to find the link I wanna read this urban legend. Maybe your BB thought you were lonely LOL

oh yeah how did you know i was wearing a red dress.
    08-27-08 01:23 PM

Hehehehehe.....

Ehem. At any rate. Did you try talking to your carrier about this? And why not just answer the phone? One of your friends may be playing a joke on you.
    08-27-08 01:26 PM
    I actually read a story on here similar to this. Let me see if I can find the link.
    08-27-08 01:37 PM
    08-27-08 01:39 PM
    Hah. I remember this post. I think the OP was making that whole thing up...
    08-27-08 01:42 PM
    Come to think of it the OP probably was making it up.
    08-27-08 01:46 PM
    What I want to know is, have you ever answered the phone??? Can anyone say �Twilight Zone�?? If you hadn't answered it, answer it and see what you come up with!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-27-08 01:51 PM
    Here is a link, but not the one that I was forwarded:

Lawmakers Aim to Crack Down on Caller ID Spoofing - Security Fix
    08-27-08 02:36 PM
    you need to find the link I wanna read this urban legend. Maybe your BB thought you were lonely LOL

Seriously I laughed so hard my boss came in and asked me if I was okay.
    08-27-08 03:07 PM
    so...
    sorry I don't know
    08-27-08 08:37 PM
    Ok do you want the real answer now? It's a t-mo voice mail notification to page you when you have new voice mails. Just log into your voicemail box general settings and it will walk you through. I think its under paging or page me something like that. I tried it but its annoying, who wants to get a call to tell you that you've missed a call.
    Last edited by pltaylor; 08-28-08 at 06:43 AM.
    08-27-08 08:42 PM
    What should REALLY be looked at is the phenomenon around here of when people ask for help, and like, you give it to them right...and then, like ...POOF.... THEY DISAPPEAR NEVER TO BE HEARD FROM AGAIN!
    08-28-08 06:47 AM
    ^^^ you are right, its like disappearing act .

08-28-08 07:31 AM
    Pltaylor is correct. A friend of mine had the same issue, and an employee at a T-Mobile kiosk walked her through it. So if you can't figure it out on your own, visit your local T-Mobile store or mall kiosk. There's usually at least one employee there who's fairly knowledgeable.
    08-28-08 09:18 AM
    I did not "disappear", I happen to be a single mom to two children, one of whom just started kindergarden, and was babysitting my 13 month old nephew on top of that which left no time for me to be on the computer yesterday evening.

I did read all the responses, and I appreciate the effort, and the laughs from a few. The suggestion about it being a call to let me know I had voicemail was most feasible, but turned out to be incorrect as I did not have that feature turned on, I did call my voicemail and check the settings.

I feel like a complete ***** as I knew nothing about caller id spoofing, but it looks like that may be the case, it is the only logical explanation. Whoever it is called again at 7:55 a.m. this morning while I was at the bus stop with my son, but I had left my bb in the house so I missed the call. I am just going to suck it up and answer it next time. Who knows, maybe it'll be publisher's clearing house telling me I won the huge jackpot, spoofing their caller id in an attempt to get me not to answer the phone!!
    08-28-08 09:36 AM
    I did not "disappear", I happen to be a single mom to two children, one of whom just started kindergarden, and was babysitting my 13 month old nephew on top of that which left no time for me to be on the computer yesterday evening.

I did read all the responses, and I appreciate the effort, and the laughs from a few. The suggestion about it being a call to let me know I had voicemail was most feasible, but turned out to be incorrect as I did not have that feature turned on, I did call my voicemail and check the settings.

I feel like a complete ***** as I knew nothing about caller id spoofing, but it looks like that may be the case, it is the only logical explanation. Whoever it is called again at 7:55 a.m. this morning while I was at the bus stop with my son, but I had left my bb in the house so I missed the call. I am just going to suck it up and answer it next time. Who knows, maybe it'll be publisher's clearing house telling me I won the huge jackpot, spoofing their caller id in an attempt to get me not to answer the phone!!
    The diappearing act was just a joke . Please let us know what happen when you answer. Who knows it just might be publisher's clearing house . I know if I were to get calls like that it would freak me out.

08-28-08 10:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD