Well let me start by saying I've had my 8220 for a few months now and have used it extensively. The problem I have found with most reviewers is they haven't spent much time with the device and don't know the phone well enough to review it properly.

I previously owned a Pearl 8120 and a 8100. The 8100 track ball failed after several months and the 8120 just wouldn't make a call one day and when I restarted the phone it didn't power up. That's when the 8220 came into my life. Rogers wouldn't supply a loner phone that could accept email and would not replace the 8120. So, I was stuck. After numerous emails and them sending me a refurbished 8120 with a nice scratch on the back I ended up purchasing a 8220.

Pros: Beautiful crisp display and larger keys...that's the only pros I could find.

Cons: (1) Very very very slow start-up. I have a friend with a 8220 and it seems to be the same. I thought it might be the network but he has the same issue on a different network. (2) Very cheap construction. I had it only a day and had a small dent close to the camera. I only had it in my pocket with a bit of change. The "aluminum" casing is really soft and the back face scratches easily from pulling it in and out of the OEM case. The big plastic hinge worries me. There is a lot of play in the hinge. After a few months of use it seems to be getting sloppier. (3) The WIFI is very slow. I was disappointed to discovery the clumsy and slow web browser utility. (4) The texting seems to work fine although I found it to be delayed but I would assume this is a provider issue. (5) Reception is good and I don't experience dropped calls(I live in a major Canadian city). The sound quality is as cheap sounding as the construction. At times the phone pics up surrounding noises which makes the person I'm speaking to ask if I'm listening to the car radio, when I'm not. I've had callers ask me to speak more clearly which I have never experienced with any other Blackberry.

I realize RIM has designed this as an entry level smart phone. That's all that it is entry level...and just entry level. I've been satisfied with Blackberry and it's level of service and features in the past but this phone falls short. With it's clumsy design, cheap construction and slow WIFI, I don't think this phone is worth a second look.

If you like the design of flip phones there are many others to choose from at a cheaper price that work much better.
    12-16-08 01:35 PM
    Well let me start by saying I've had my 8220 for a few months now and have used it extensively. The problem I have found with most reviewers is they haven't spent much time with the device and don't know the phone well enough to review it properly. Are you referring to other blogs or CB reviews?
    I previously owned a Pearl 8120 and a 8100. The 8100 track ball failed after several months and the 8120 just wouldn't make a call one day and when I restarted the phone it didn't power up. That's when the 8220 came into my life. Rogers wouldn't supply a loner phone that could accept email and would not replace the 8120. So, I was stuck. After numerous emails and them sending me a refurbished 8120 with a nice scratch on the back I ended up purchasing a 8220. The 8120 I had was a great device. I agree with the trackball issue, same thing happened to me.

Pros: Beautiful crisp display and larger keys...that's the only pros I could find.
    Wow...really?
    Cons: (1) Very very very slow start-up. I have a friend with a 8220 and it seems to be the same. I thought it might be the network but he has the same issue on a different network. My Flip starts faster than a co-workers curve.(2) Very cheap construction. I had it only a day and had a small dent close to the camera. I only had it in my pocket with a bit of change. The "aluminum" casing is really soft and the back face scratches easily from pulling it in and out of the OEM case. The big plastic hinge worries me. There is a lot of play in the hinge. Play in the hinge is a good thing. After a few months of use it seems to be getting sloppier. Sorry to hear that. Mine actually seems to perform better. Especially with the .180 upgrade.(3) The WIFI is very slow. I was disappointed to discovery the clumsy and slow web browser utility. Upgrade to .180, you'll notice a difference. (4) The texting seems to work fine although I found it to be delayed but I would assume this is a provider issue. (5) Reception is good and I don't experience dropped calls(I live in a major Canadian city). The sound quality is as cheap sounding as the construction. I thought the on-board speaker kicked arse compaired to other devices. At times the phone pics up surrounding noises which makes the person I'm speaking to ask if I'm listening to the car radio, when I'm not. I've had callers ask me to speak more clearly which I have never experienced with any other Blackberry.

I realize RIM has designed this as an entry level smart phone. That's all that it is entry level...and just entry level. I've been satisfied with Blackberry and it's level of service and features in the past but this phone falls short. With it's clumsy design, cheap construction and slow WIFI, I don't think this phone is worth a second look.

If you like the design of flip phones there are many others to choose from at a cheaper price that work much better. Yes - but not a BlackBerry
    Sorry to hear you had such a bad time with your Flip. To be fair, if I had to do it all over again, I would have waited for the 8900.
    12-16-08 01:52 PM
    Ya, I guess it's like buying the newest car. I should have waited a bit longer until the bugs and model was refined a bit more. I like the BB products for the most part. I think the 8220 doesn't measure up to be what seems like a solid PDA/Smartphone manufacturer.
    12-16-08 03:25 PM
    Hmmm, I can't say I agree with much of your review. I've had mine just over a month now and I'm really liking it more every day.

1) The startup time is the same as my 8120 was (I pulled the battery on them side by side).
    2) I guess I'm a little more careful with mine, I never carry anything in the same pocket like change or keys, etc. My hinge is holding up great.
    3) I have upgraded to the latest OS but just today I read a tip about using the Hotspot browser while on wifi and I couldn't believe how fast it was compared to EDGE.
    4) No problem with texting here, SMS or PIN, I've noticed no delays, in fact it's much faster than my Treo 700p
    5) I've only been told that I sound loud and clear on the other end. Funny thing is when I recorded my voicemail greeting it sounded like the phone was halfway down my throat

Overall the only thing that is keeping me from dropping my Treo 700p altogether (and only carry 1 phone) are some of the software apps and the 3g speed of my Palm Treo. Everything else I love about the Flip!
    12-17-08 01:07 AM
    I just think it's a phone that's unrefined and awkward. Like I said before I don't have any other issues with BB products and I'll continue to use it. Although I have thought about going back to my Nokia 8801 and leave my email and internet to a device more designed for that type of work.

How do I upgrade the OS. Do I have to go back to my service provider or can I get that off the BB site?
    12-17-08 08:18 AM
    I also have to disagree with your review. Cheap built is something I have to keep telling people is not an issue here. I know my phones (I have to have ones that survive ME, which is no easy task). This phone is built out of the same material as my old phone, and that phone survived me throwing it against a concrete wall! My 8220 starts up faster than any other BB I've seen do the start-up process, it usually takes less than a minute. Also, the sound quality is the best I've had on a phone, and I've played with a lot of them.

Texting on this device is the best I've seen in a long time. I love my 8220 and it works well. I think my list of pros would be a lot bigger.
    12-19-08 02:17 PM
    Well let me start by saying I've had my 8220 for a few months now and have used it extensively. The problem I have found with most reviewers is they haven't spent much time with the device and don't know the phone well enough to review it properly.

I previously owned a Pearl 8120 and a 8100. The 8100 track ball failed after several months and the 8120 just wouldn't make a call one day and when I restarted the phone it didn't power up. That's when the 8220 came into my life. Rogers wouldn't supply a loner phone that could accept email and would not replace the 8120. So, I was stuck. After numerous emails and them sending me a refurbished 8120 with a nice scratch on the back I ended up purchasing a 8220.

Cons: (1) Very very very slow start-up. I have a friend with a 8220 and it seems to be the same. I thought it might be the network but he has the same issue on a different network. (2) Very cheap construction. I had it only a day and had a small dent close to the camera. I only had it in my pocket with a bit of change. The "aluminum" casing is really soft and the back face scratches easily from pulling it in and out of the OEM case. The big plastic hinge worries me. There is a lot of play in the hinge. After a few months of use it seems to be getting sloppier. (3) The WIFI is very slow. I was disappointed to discovery the clumsy and slow web browser utility. (4) The texting seems to work fine although I found it to be delayed but I would assume this is a provider issue. (5) Reception is good and I don't experience dropped calls(I live in a major Canadian city). The sound quality is as cheap sounding as the construction. At times the phone pics up surrounding noises which makes the person I'm speaking to ask if I'm listening to the car radio, when I'm not. I've had callers ask me to speak more clearly which I have never experienced with any other Blackberry.

If you like the design of flip phones there are many others to choose from at a cheaper price that work much better.
    It is fast at start-up; it only takes mine about a minute and a half. It works flawlessly since I have updated my software to v.180. I have dropped my 8220 and it has never gotten a scratch and the hinge flips open and closed just like new, mine doesn't even wobble like most clamshell phones do; the trackball is still completely white on mine even though I have had it since October (probably since it isn't exposed when the phone is closed). Wi-Fi is faster than EDGE on my phone. I think your texting is delayed because of the Rogers network, because my phone sends and receives messages as soon as I select send. My phone has very good sound quality, similar to other BlackBerries (I also think this might be a problem with your network, or location). It is better than the 8120 in my opinion (Now that was a cheap phone: the screen scratched too easily, the keyboard was flimsly and cramped, and the trackball gets dirty way too fast). I have .T...Mobile.
    Last edited by fatfat935; 12-20-08 at 06:14 PM.
    12-20-08 06:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD