This has happened to me twice in the last week. Both times I had to take my BB 8130 back to the store for replacement. THEY CANNOT BE REPAIRED. When I tried to download an application from Handango (any application) the phone stopped working and the hour glass stayed on, even after leaving the battery out all night. The first time this happened the seller thought it was just a bad unit. When this happened on the second new BB, he did some digging and found out that Handango inadvertently created a download that makes the OS on the 8130 innoperable. In other words, it became a $400 paper weight. I'm waiting for my 3rd 8130. It had to be ordered.
    12-27-07 06:09 PM
    I have heard this happend to other crackberry users as well.
    12-27-07 06:51 PM
    Yes, a number of folks have reported Handango downloads have toasted the 4.3 OS sending it into an endless reboot cycle which is irreparable without a complete wipe & reload of the OS. Seems an incompatibility exisits between the Handango site's Download Manager and the new 4.3 OS.

So be cautious with the Handango site via the new Pearls running 4.3
    Last edited by GadgetGeek; 12-27-07 at 08:15 PM.
    12-27-07 07:41 PM
    Thanks for the info. I downloaded DataVault 4.36 from them about a month ago and it has been working fine. I think I will let the dust settle before I download anything else.

Bob
    12-27-07 07:53 PM
    so far i have two games from Handaango and no problem.
    12-27-07 08:29 PM
    I just downloaded two apps from Handango and I have the same thing! Can a Verizon store reload the OS?
    12-28-07 09:23 PM
    I think Verizon should be very much aware of this!!!!!!

Why haven't they announced this.?
    12-28-07 09:29 PM
    I just downloaded two apps from Handango and I have the same thing! Can a Verizon store reload the OS?
    Yes, but you should be able to reload the OS without going to the Verizon store. BlackBerry® Software Updates

Try dowloading the device software and then connect it to desktop manager.
    12-28-07 09:33 PM
    I sure hope you're right! I am trying to do that now. It says everything was done ok and now it is rebooting, but it has been doing it for a few minutes already...how long does it take when you redo the software?
    12-28-07 09:53 PM
    Should actually boot twice during the process, each one could be 5-10 mins. Entire process can be 30-45 mins depending on how much data & apps you had on the phone.
    12-28-07 09:58 PM
    Maybe 5mins I hope you backup before you installed that handago software.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-07 09:59 PM

12-28-07 10:09 PM

Ok...it took closer to 10, but it looks like it is working again...BUT, so far none of my themes, songs, are there. The ringtones stayed...but the worst thing is that ALL of my contacts are gone...all 160 of them! Any suggestions? HELP, please?
    12-28-07 10:13 PM
    Try sync with outlook. How did you initially get your contacts on your BB?

Rule of thumb: backup before you install 3rd party software or any major changes on your BB.

12-28-07 10:17 PM
    Thanks for all of your help. I had backed it up sometime ago, so I at least have most of my contacts. Now I have to see about my iBerry theme. I feel blessed...no trip to Verizon, and BB almost intact, and to have your help. Thanks again!
    12-28-07 10:35 PM
    No problem. Happy to save you a trip.

12-28-07 10:37 PM
    Yep always back up. I do it weekly if not daily while i am at my desk.
    12-28-07 10:38 PM
    So what are the apps that are crashing and has any made any attempt to let hango know or verizon for supporting those programs that break down the phone??
    12-28-07 10:39 PM
    It's not the 3rd party software from Handango. It's the software that Handango wants you to install to your BB to download apps from Handango. Handango needs to be notified of this.
    12-28-07 11:11 PM
    Handango needs to be notified of this.
    Agreed!.. apparently from what I've heard there isn't even a "no thanks" option on the screen that offers the culprit Download Manager software to manage downloads/purchases from the site.
    12-29-07 08:26 AM
    No problem. Happy to save you a trip.

Hi orle8050, am I glad to see you on-line! I cannot use my browser or "Get Links" now. It tells me "YOUR DEVICE DOES NOT CURRENTLY HAVE ANY BROWSER CONFIGURATION SERVICE BOOK ENTRIES." John Clark told me to go and download them but I am not sure what he means. Any thoughts?
    12-29-07 08:40 AM
    Hi orle8050, am I glad to see you on-line! I cannot use my browser or "Get Links" now. It tells me "YOUR DEVICE DOES NOT CURRENTLY HAVE ANY BROWSER CONFIGURATION SERVICE BOOK ENTRIES." John Clark told me to go and download them but I am not sure what he means. Any thoughts?
    Hey, so try this: Go to options, advanced options, host routing table, then hit the menu key and select register.

That should re-send your service books from you carrier back to your device.
    12-29-07 08:43 AM
    this just happened to me wed dec 26th at night. i was downloading "in hand" from handango. got a new 8130 from Sprint the next day (warranty).
    12-29-07 09:02 AM
    this just happened to me wed dec 26th at night. i was downloading "in hand" from handango. got a new 8130 from Sprint the next day (warranty).
    You know, I wonder how many 8130 did Sprint actually sell and how many they replaced because lack of BB Tech Support Knowledge.
    12-29-07 09:10 AM
    Hey, so try this: Go to options, advanced options, host routing table, then hit the menu key and select register.

That should re-send your service books from you carrier back to your device.
    THANK YOU! That seemed to work...I also found the url to have my BIS books resent from BB/Verizon and followed up with that. Keeping my fingers crossed! Thanks for all of your help.
    12-29-07 09:16 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD