hello all,

In Sep09 I gifted myself a BB flip and got it shipped all the way from the US to India... the phone was working brilliantly until the time when i noticed something going all wrong with the phone...

About a month or so back.. the phone would just go into complete 'reboot' mood and it would come on and be back to normal... I figured the battery was probably loose or something like that... and opened and reinstalled the battery but it seems the problem still continues... sometimes in midst of a call or while taking a call... it just goes on to the reboot mode... at times friends have told me that they tried calling me but the phone was only ringing and i dont see any missed calls on my BB.....

I am confused... i truely like this phone... and its my first BB... i find the other ones to be quite bulky and wouldnt want to trade this one for anything else if it starts working fine....

Any help would be truely apperciated ...

Cheers from India!
    02-13-10 07:10 AM
    welcome!
    if you have a memory card take it out and see if the rebooting occurs.
    if it does, then the memory card is bad and is causing the reboots.
    happened with my device (a non flip curve)
    02-13-10 07:13 AM
    Thanks... tony for being the first one to respond to my query... I have inserted the memory card way back in Oct09 and after the last update of some music in Nov09.. havent updated anything on it till date... not sure if the problem is due to the memory card... can always give it a shot...

Cheers!
    02-13-10 07:56 AM
    Hi tony... i took off the media card but the problem still seems to persist....

Anyone else out there for some valuable suggestions...PLEASE HELP... i am desperate...
    02-14-10 07:13 AM
    Can u try reloading the os?
    There are several threads on here about it. Also if bought from ebay you can file a claim.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-10 07:56 AM
    well i cant file a claim now because its more than 4-5months from the time i am using it .. any other suggestion ? Which version of the OS do i reload..? Sorry am new to all this...

The phone rebooted atleast 10times from this morning and in the bargain missed some important work related calls
    02-15-10 09:01 AM
    well i cant file a claim now because its more than 4-5months from the time i am using it .. any other suggestion ? Which version of the OS do i reload..? Sorry am new to all this...

The phone rebooted atleast 10times from this morning and in the bargain missed some important work related calls
    02-15-10 09:02 AM
    02-15-10 09:08 AM
    hi Tony...

Thanks again..it seems you are the only one responding to my messages and I am happy that you are around to help...I have just started downloading the new version from the India site on my desktop. How do i put it up on the phone ...? Through the desktop manager...or something.. there are no instructions given on the Redington website while downloading...

In some forums I see a message about some files that need to be deleted and all that ... does that apply to this download that I doing right now ?

Any help would be highly appreciated...

Many thanks again to you and all who are able to help

Cheers!
    02-15-10 11:02 AM
    sent ya a PM....
    02-15-10 12:08 PM
    Hi just updated the OS but it shows as v4.6.0.200 and I am presuming thats the old os...? At the end of the update it did give me that the update was successful ...and I deleted the vendor.xml file before updating... You think my problem would be resolved now ?

On the blackberry site.. the version that i downloaded on my pc/desktop manager was v4.6.0.344 (EastAsia)

I am confused ... Please help...

Cheers!
    02-15-10 01:29 PM
    Actually that website has a very wrong description of that OS, it is PACKAGE version .344, which has APPLICATION version .200. We name OS version by their applications, NOT their package so that is actually a very old OS.

If it resolved your problem then great, but if not try the newest OS, .305 located in the sticky on the top of this forum. When installing an OS follow the steps in the sticky, making sure you delete the vendor.xml file.

And I only recommend updating an OS if you have problems already.
    02-15-10 03:39 PM
    hi NSzberry...

Thanks for your revert... you were spot on with your message... my confusion is now cleared... i guess i updated the .200 version which is obviously older. I tested the phone for about 18hrs after the update... received sms pretty ok and so do the calls as well... however after a few hours..while making an outgoing call..the phone just went into a reboot mode... and it took a good 30mins for it to come back on! Its so frustrating and its rebooted thrice on its own after that.. God only knows how many important calls I may have missed in the interim...

Guess tonite i need to try the .305 OS... and pray to God it works fine...

Thanks again for your clarifications and help... appreciate it

Wish me luck..the download starts now...

Cheers!
    02-16-10 12:17 PM
    sorry I couldn't have helped more (or correctly)
    02-16-10 12:21 PM
    Hey guys...i just downloaded the OS .305 on my desktop.. as its an executible file.. while i try to run it ...i get an error message which states 'error reading setup initialisation file'

Boy this is so frustrating.. do i need to start all over again with the download ?

Cheers!
    02-16-10 01:09 PM
    Yikes, I would. And make sure you uninstall (using add/remove programs) any other OS's you previously installed to your computer.

I feel your pain, the 8220 was my first BB, and unless OS 5.0 does something wonderful it may be my last. It's too much work and I can't lose my phone for hours at a time like I sometimes do.
    02-16-10 01:39 PM
    hello all...i managed to load the OS successfully way back in Feb as per my last post. But sadly ... just over a month and the problem of the phone rebooting is again happening up... this is getting really maddening as I am missing out on urgent calls because of this endless reboot...

Any help would be highly appreciated...

Cheers!
    03-26-10 01:32 PM
    My 8220 was spontaneously rebooting at the most inopportune time and a battery replacement took care of the problem. Also, some 3rd party apps, like Facebook, can cause strange problems as well.
    03-26-10 02:58 PM
    My wife has had her 8220 since July '09 and everything was fine until early Oct. '09 when the phone went into the reboot cycle. She is not on a data plan and only uses it to talk and text, no other apps are installed, no memory card. I know, I know - what a waste! Anyway, it happened after she sent a text so I just did a battery pull and everything was fine until just before Xmas when it rebooted and even a battery pull did not work. I nuked it w/JL_Cmder and reloaded 4.6.0.180 and 2 days later it started rebooting again after receiving a phone call. This time, I loaded .305, synced all her info back and everything ran okay until a week later, same thing.

Now it happens every 2 - 3 weeks and she just does a battery pull (new battery did not fix it either). I was trying to narrow down the problem but have not been able to figure it out because it will happen when it wants to. She loves the flip format with the large keys w/SureType.

enigma075, I feel for you because of this problem and I'm sorry to say this but I think this phone is destined for the BlackBerry graveyard. I'm hoping a software update will someday fix this but I think it's a hardware problem. Plus I think T-Mobile (and everyone else that carried the 82xx series) has discontinued it.

I'm sorry I could not help you more. Maybe someone else has a "fix" for us.
    Last edited by shfjcs; 03-26-10 at 07:03 PM.
    03-26-10 07:00 PM
    hello both above...thanks for writing in...

I dont have any external applications on my cell phone... **** i havent even activated the BB service as yet... so pretty using the phone for calls and SMS's thats it...

Its a shape that such a beautiful phone will eventually land up somewhere in the junk ... i actually like this phone ...the shape, the ease... everything but the reboots are a killer... they take more than 45mins for it to start the phone! Someone out there...help me with some solution... tried the toothpick bit as well but i guess no help out there on my phone ..
    03-27-10 07:37 AM
    Try the battery replacement. I think there may have been a bad batch of batteries. My new one has squared-off edges whereas the old one was more rounded. It could work for you. It did for me.
    03-27-10 02:49 PM
    hello all...thanks for all your response and suggestions... I have ordered another battery which i will receive in a day or two... though the new OS was already loaded on it...i want to again do a complete wipe out of the OS and reload the OS in the interim period... How does one go about doing that ? Sorry...not half as tech savy as some of you people out there...

Cheers!
    03-27-10 10:36 PM
    I've used jl_cmder to wipe my 8220. Look here to see how it's done:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...l_cmder-53502/
    You may have to run jl_cmder more than once to ensure it's truly wiped.
    You may also want to re-download the OS you want, just to be sure it isn't corrupt. BB support had me do that before also.
    Best of luck to you.
    03-29-10 03:59 PM
    I've used jl_cmder to wipe my 8220. Look here to see how it's done:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...l_cmder-53502/
    You may have to run jl_cmder more than once to ensure it's truly wiped.
    You may also want to re-download the OS you want, just to be sure it isn't corrupt. BB support had me do that before also.
    Best of luck to you.
    Did it stop the rebooting issue?

I did a wipe with JL_Cmder and reinstall fresh. But I'll try again and download a fresh copy of the os. Thanks, wish me luck!
    03-29-10 05:45 PM
    hey guys hows everyone? I just found a Flip in our (returned phones stack) and it said that the reason why it was returned is because of the rebooting issue... I think it is a hardware issue but i will be doing everything i can to fix the issue... I will need all the help i can get since i never used a flip (i have a 9700) but i took the phone home to see what i can do.
    03-29-10 11:51 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD