While traveling through Europe (Oct 2013), I have many times gotten an error rendering page msg from the BB browser (Hot Spot browser) when trying to use Hot Spot login (to enter user id and password) after the open wifi connects successfully. Opera wouldn't even start to load the hot spot login page (or any other) so it doesn't seem viable. I finally turned off "Support Embedded Media" under the Browser Configuration menu and then I was able to see and fill in the login page. I've never had the rendering issue at Starbucks, but often did at airports, etc.

Anyone know why this works (at least at the current hot spot) or if there is a better or more universal fix?

Thanks!
    11-01-13 04:31 PM
    Are you on the latest OS for your device? The hot spot login should come up automatically when needed.
    11-04-13 09:19 PM
    "Are you on the latest OS for your device? The hot spot login should come up automatically when needed."

Of course <g>. I tried both T-mobile official version for US (v4.6.0.180) and the newest (or at least highest) one (308) from South America I believe.
    While traveling, there are many hotspots (airports, hotels, etc) where the 8820 (do you have one or are you just speculating?) simply either doesn't show the hotspot login button (perhaps due to lack of already being associated with a router) or fails immediately with "no hotspot found" despite a strong hotspot signal. Although there is a strong open wifi signal, connecting to it via a scan often produces a pretty much useless message that simply states the connection failed. Without that association with the hotspot router, the BB browser can't load the login page, and often even with a successful connection, neither the BB nor Opera browser display anything except failed url or other cryptic message. Reasonably, the router connection is required before the browser will work. Example: Amsterdam KLM lounge has a great signal which I can easily connect to via computer (have to enter password in browser), but never get that far via this wifi phone. Also failed at restaurant where other devices connected fine (connected via WPA2 using provided passphrase, but no internet - different problem I imagine. .

The wifi feature is VERY useful when it works, but between dropped calls (simply go dead randomly in the middle of a sentence on 4 different 8820s on several different hotspots) and not knowing if hotspot connections can be established, it can be frustrating for sure. In Paris I even had the call drop 3 or 4 times trying to discuss call dropping with T-mobile Tech support! <g>

Sadly, they are starting to lean toward the "spend hundreds of $$$ to get current phone - that hardware/software is too old" defense.

If ANYONE made a current flip phone (hate fingerprints and talking to a slab or candybar of plastic) that solved these issues, I'd be most interested (if it didn't cost more than my $250 computer!). What's with no one producing a SIMPLE wifi FLIP phone? There are still millions of phone users who just want to talk on a phone (like God meant phones to be! <g>)

I know that these are pretty "general" symptoms, and I hope that they help.

I am guessing that, like disabling the "advanced" feature of allowing animation, there are other compatibility issues with the BB browser and newer hotspots, but with the lack of any documented troubleshooting process I have found yet, The phone is simply useless with wifi in some/too many hotspots.

Thanks again for your response
    11-11-13 09:07 AM
    IIRC (it has been 2 years since I used my 8220) the 4.6.0.308 OS caused me WiFi stability issues, which affected ability to make UMA calls.
    I downgraded to the 4.6.0.278 OS from TIM Italy. It was much more stable.
    11-13-13 04:53 PM
    I'm pretty certain I've tried: 180 (official T-mobile USA), 278, and 308, and will give 278 another try. Thanks for the heads up! Will post my results.

Cheers!
    11-18-13 07:40 PM