is it normal for the pearl 8130 batt life to suck??? but i love the BB???
    04-12-08 01:16 PM
    its pretty bad but i think its pretty good for the charge. a about 1 hour charge and it lasts me about 2 days of texting and some calls, but i also play a lot of tetris about an hour or more every charge
    04-12-08 02:37 PM
    I love it too but I agree that the battery life is bad.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-12-08 02:59 PM
    I think 'bad' might be a bit subjective.
    Case in point: I upgraded from a first gen chocolate (vx8500 I think) that I got shortly after it launched. 2 years later I honestly couldn't check my voicemail w/o the phone going dead. At this point, I'm elated to get about 2 days off of a single charge!

04-12-08 04:41 PM
    Is this just a pearl thing? My curve can go 2 days easy with the OEM battery and I am a power user.
    04-12-08 04:45 PM
    I got 2 days with the extended Seidio battery with heavy messenger email and browsing.
    04-12-08 04:51 PM
    Seido extended battery is a must. Fits good in the case and gives me 2 days if I need to skip a charge.

04-12-08 05:47 PM
    No offense, but I don't think you guys understand what "bad battery life" really is. Go use a Windows Mobile device for any length of time and then come back here to talk about bad battery life.

How is 2 full days of use between recharges even remotely bad for a smartphone?
    04-12-08 06:07 PM
    Bad battery life = Motorola Q requiring 2 charges in a day.
    04-12-08 06:08 PM
    Haha I had a q and yeah I recharged about 3 times a day...worst 2 weeks ever!! My 8130 is great. I usually only have to charge at night but sometimes I get a bit too social and I have to charge twice a day lol

04-12-08 06:24 PM
    If you have something like google maps running in the background, it can be a drain on the battery without you realizing it.
    04-12-08 06:35 PM
    No offense, but I don't think you guys understand what "bad battery life" really is. Go use a Windows Mobile device for any length of time and then come back here to talk about bad battery life.

How is 2 full days of use between recharges even remotely bad for a smartphone?
    I guess I'm just comparing it to my sidekick II, which could go at least 2-3 days with out charging when I first got it...
    04-12-08 08:02 PM
    Thats very debatable, with my razr 2 I got about 3 hours out of the battery and that was a semi new battery too. If i called someone I would almost instantly get a low battery message.
    I Love my pearls battery life I have yet to hit below 40% (I charge every night heavy, use during the day)
    does the extended life battery really improve it that much?
    04-12-08 08:36 PM
    Bad battery sounds really subjective.
    My RAZR that I have right now (praying to dump it this week) can get maybe a day, but in recently weeks it's down to maybe half a day before it starts flashing with zero bars battery. It's terrible. And I'm only texting. No phone calls or anything (one phone call for five minutes = dead battery)
    04-12-08 11:25 PM
    We know what the battery is capable of, the second factor to look at is the power consumption of the phone. Again, it varies greatly from one feature to the next. The operating system on the phone will take power, and having a smartphone with multiple applications running will of course drain the battery faster.

Being connected to a GSM or CDMA cellular network takes very little power, but 3G requires slightly more. Using wi-fi, if your device handles it, will take a lot of power. Using built-in GPS is even worse. The screen is another thing that takes power, and as the screens get better, bigger and with higher resolutions, they require more power. Using a screen saver in this case is actually a bad idea because animating it takes power. The best thing is if the phone can shut down the screen after a few minutes of inactivity.

There are things that can be done to save battery life. If you only have access to a GSM or CDMA network and your phone supports 3G, going in the setting and turning 3G off is a good idea, because switching from 2G to 3G takes a lot of power. Switching wi-fi scanning off is also very good, because scanning using the wi-fi antenna every 15mins will drain the battery in no time. The same is true for GPS. Also any extra screen saver, animation or background application running will take more power.
    04-12-08 11:56 PM
    Haha I had a q and yeah I recharged about 3 times a day...worst 2 weeks ever!! My 8130 is great. I usually only have to charge at night but sometimes I get a bit too social and I have to charge twice a day lol

I had a Q myself, once upon a time. Worst two and a half months of my smartphone using life. It wasn't even that it was Windows Mobile, it was just a crappy phone. I recently used a Tilt for awhile, and while it still has some of the Windows Mobile quirks, it was nothing like the Q. It kind of makes me laugh, I was getting 1 full day of moderately heavy use out of my Tilt and would plug it in at 10-11pm with 20-30% battery left; while the Q on the other hand would be used far less and would end up with 5-10% battery at 7pm... Funniest part about it is that the Tilt is a full blown pocket PC running Windows Mobile 6 professional, and the Q was a WM 5 device using WM 5 smartphone edition. Ungh, the Q was such a horrible phone, just thinking back to it gives me shivers...
    04-13-08 12:15 AM
    Thats very debatable, with my razr 2 I got about 3 hours out of the battery and that was a semi new battery too. If i called someone I would almost instantly get a low battery message.
    I Love my pearls battery life I have yet to hit below 40% (I charge every night heavy, use during the day)
    does the extended life battery really improve it that much?
    The extended battery is the difference, at the end of a long day for me,
    between 15% on oem to 30%-35% extended. Big difference to me.
    BTW the seido extended for the pearl is about the same size ma as the curve oem..
    04-13-08 01:21 AM
    I've had the 8130 for about two weeks, nowhere near a power user or heavy talker, and I'm lucky to have 10% battery remaining by the end of the day. And no, I don't have lots of programs running. Battery life sucks, IMO.
    04-13-08 04:03 PM
    I switched from Verizons Windows based XV-6800 to the Pearl in January.....the definition of bad battery is that phone, the best I got out of it was 6 hours! I would say you have a battery problem if it is 10 % in one day. I use my phone a moderate amount with e-mail push (of course) and 20-30 texts a day and my battery always lasts at least 2 days. If I don't use the phone much, I get a good 3 or 3.5 days out of it.
    04-13-08 04:26 PM
    I found it took a couple of weeks before the battery was conditioned and then it worked better.
    04-13-08 09:26 PM
    Bumpin this so i don't have to start another thread.

Been with my new 8130 for 2 days now. Noticed that battery will be down to 15% or so by 630pm if I charge it overnight and turn it on at 8am.

I'll be getting the extended battery soon. I guess, for what I am doing (quite a bit of browsing, IM'ing, emailing all while listening to music) it is up to the challenge. worst case is that I would bring my charger along with me. NOT a pain.

(NOTE is the GPS always on? Little icon in upper left hand side of a sprint 8130. I couldn't find a place to turn it off.

Lastly, I don't know for sure but I thought that today's batteries don't need to be 'conditioned' like they used to. With an ipod battery, they suggest not letting it go down all the way to dead. That's a polymer battery so it could be different.
    04-30-08 02:31 PM
    thats true, i had the t-mobile wing and the darn phone only lasted me a couple of hours charge. i had to charge the phone twice a day
    04-30-08 03:33 PM
    I don't keep it connected to the data systems, so I get 4-5 days between charges with it being on all day and texting. I suspect 2 days with online use would make me happy, my Krzr got a charge a day if I made the mistake of using Facebook.
    04-30-08 03:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD